Back in August 2020, after falling victim to the financial fallout of the pandemic, Droylsden FC tragically had to bow out of the Northern Premier League and cease playing.
However, following a push from those still remaining at the club, some dedicated fans and loyal locals around the town, a campaign to resurrect the Tameside team is gathering momentum and now they are calling on Greater Manchester to do their bit.
Set up by the club’s head of media Nigel Barlow, those trying to keep the Droylsden alive — a club which was founded all the way back in 1892 — have been holding productive meetings since January and people in the area are already showing their love and support for their local side.
A GoFundMe page has also been set up with over £2,500 in donations raised since February. However, they still have some way to go if they hope to reach their total £10k target.
As written in the description of the fundraiser, “Droylsden Football Club is on its way back but we need your help to carry on this great club’s 140-year plus history…
“After two positive fan meetings with over 100 fans in attendance… we now know what the first steps are in order to allow us to play football at the Butchers Arms [Ground] again.”
Barlow goes on to explain how the bulk of the money will go towards helping “gain a safety certificate allowing us to play football at the ground and welcome fans back” with renovations including “replacing bird netting and roof netting… safety floor markings… some perimeter fencing”, labour costs and more.
The stadium was also sadly vandalised following its closure shortly after lockdown hit, with several repairs now needed in the William Pace Stand, named after the father of current manager and former player Dave Pace, who still remains in post despite the team’s future remaining uncertain.
To date, thanks to all those who have donated so far and The Community Payback team spearheading the prospective comeback, more than £5,300 is said to have been raised as of 6 April.
Moreover, in a statement issued to ‘The Bloods’ Facebook page, they informed supporters that “the North West Counties are behind our application to join the league in 2023/24 season”, although they are still waiting for full confirmation from the FA.
In the meantime, the club have continued to carry out numerous charitable efforts together with the local community, having been holding everything from charitable collection nights and family horse racing days to sports memorabilia auctions.
Qatar’s Sheikh Jassim gives Manchester United an ultimatum after submitting fifth bid
Qatar’s Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani has issued Manchester United an ultimatum after submitting a fifth and supposedly final bid to buy the club.
Entering his fifth revised bid to buy Man United outright on Wednesday, the Middle Eastern banker and member of the Qatari royal family is reported to have told the club he is willing to pay “no more than £6 billion” for the takeover, an offer which sees him become the first to match the Glazer’s asking price.
However, in trying to give the negotiations a much-needed jolt — with Sheikh Jassim said to have grown frustrated with the long, drawn-out bidding process — his latest proposal also came with an ultimatum, telling the owners that they have until Friday, 8 June to accept his offer or else he will walk away.
So, rather than being strung along by the Glazers any further and potentially being dragged into another round of bidding with an arbitrary deadline, he has now given them until the end of the week to return their decision.
As Sky Sports‘ Kaveh Solhekol went on to explain, Sheikh Jassim is now “frustrated and fed up” with how the bidding process has gone thus far, noting that talks first began almost seven months ago and there have been multiple so-called ‘deadlines’ that have led to little consequence or progress.
As a result, his bidding team have told the Glazers, board members and the Raine Group officials overseeing any potential deal that he will “no longer engage with the process” if the fifth bid is not accepted by Friday.
The chairman of Qatar Islamic Bank (QIB) who spent time in England whilst being educated at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst also wants to get the deal done as quickly as possible in order to clear the debts and properly fund the project at the earliest opportunity ahead of next season.
In addition to clearing United’s debts which are estimated to be just under £1bn, the sheikh will reportedly pump sizeable funds into redeveloping the stadium (or building a new one) and investing in the squad. While his exact net worth is not known, his family’s wealth is estimated at around £275 billion.
As for whether the Glazers will actually adhere to Sheikh Jassim’s deadline and accept his fifth and final bid, it remains to be seen, but it looks like someone needs to take charge in these negotiations if they actually going to move forward.
Gary Neville has already warned that the “shoddy” bidding process could end up jeopardising next season if it continues to go on any longer and many fans think the Qatari prince’s all-or-nothing offer is the only option to finally get rid of the Glazers.
Manchester City fan gets treble tattoo before Champions League final
We’ve seen plenty of tattoos gone wrong down the years and even more football fans getting ahead themselves, but it must have taken a special kind of confidence for this Manchester City fan to get the treble tattooed on his body before the Champions League final has even been played.
Nevertheless, after yet another stellar domestic season and with two-time UCL winner Pep Guardiola at the helm, most fans, rivals and neutrals alike all think this is the year they’re going to lift their first Champions League — in fact, this man is certain of it.
The diehard City fan, simply known as Stuart on TikTok, shared multiple clips on his account on Tuesday, the first of which showed the treble tattoo in progress and has already had nearly 200,000 views in less than 24 hours.
Naturally, the comments underneath the videos are as you’d expect, with people remarking, “you’ve just made Inter win”, “he’s gonna regret that”, “RIP bro”, “pov: 2021” — the last CL final they qualified for and lost to Chelsea despite being heavy favourites — and so on.
However, responding to haters in the comments, Cityzen Stuart’s confidence looks to be unshakable, stating that it’s now “impossible” for them to lose and there’s “not a chance” Pep goes another yet without winning another Champions League.
Having already flown over to Turkey for the final in Istanbul this weekend, he shared a more recent video showing the tattoo in more detail, complete with full colour and shading.
Football fans are often superstitious (it’s such an unpredictable sport that it’s hard not to be) but it’s fair to say a lot of people are now worried he might have jinxed it, not to mention every single Red hoping that he has. For his sake, he better hope the footballing gods don’t take this kind of stuff into account.
This year’s final kicks off at 8pm on Saturday, 10 June and City fans everywhere will be hoping to Pep and co. lift the Champions League trophy in the club’s history and win a historic treble in the process.
They are already going to go down as one of the best squads ever assembled but, for many, this could see them held up there as the greatest of all time. The question is, can they take that final step?