Manchester United have decided not to appeal Casemiro’s red card against Southampton, which will now see him miss the next three league gamesand Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Fulham.
Casemiro was sent off against 20th-place Southampton in the 34th minute on Sunday following a full-blooded challenge on opposition player Carlos Alcaraz.
While he won the challenge fairly in many people’s eyes, the Brazilian took some of the man in the process, as his foot made a connection with the ball first before rolling over the top and clashing with the Saints player’s shin on the follow-through.
However, despite Erik ten Hag, his teammates, fans and plenty of neutrals alike questioning Anthony Taylor’s decision — with calls for him to be sacked even trending on Twitter — it is said the club will not be appealing the card and the 31-year-old will now be out of the squad for the next four English games.
This may come as a surprise to some as even when decisions are more clear-cut, most teams usually launch a somewhat hopeful appeal on the off-chance that it might be overturned.
However, the sentiment seems to be that the United feel there was very little chance of it being rescinded, with ten Hag himself having once again called the referees’ consistency into question.
Speaking after the game, the Dutch coach told media he thinks “inconsistency” is the problem; “players don’t know anymore what is the policy. I guess, all across, you see this weekend yesterday Leicester vs Chelsea, VAR is not coming on the line.
“Today it is coming on the line and today two penalty situations they don’t come on the line. I think especially [with] the first it is clear and obvious handball. So, what is the policy?”
As he went on to note to various reporters, “across European leagues, in over 500 games [Casemiro] had never a red card and now he has twice. He plays tough but he plays fair: also in this [instance] he is playing fair. Same as against Palace, so it is very debatable.
“When you freeze it looks bad, but everyone who knows something about football, who is acting on top football, they know what is bad and what isn’t bad, what is fair.” Fortunately for the Red Devils, the midfielder is still eligible to play in the Europa League.
Another aspect that angered United and their supporters on the day was the fact that it was not a confident decision (i.e. an instant red) from Taylor, having first awarded a yellow card before being sent over to the monitor and making his decision based on the clip in isolation and slowed down — the kind of replay which football fans regularly argue warps an official’s perception.
Nevertheless, the referees‘ union seems to be sticking together on the decision with the likes of ex-pro Dermot Gallagher noting that since his studs were up and both feet left the ground as he lunged in for the tackle, Casemiro was deemed to be out of control of his body and risking serious foul play.
As always with these kinds of incidents, aggrieved fans are now sharing clips of other challenges throughout the season where VAR hasn’t intervened when other clearer fouls and card-worthy decisions have occurred.
Included in the statement following the decision, the club shared a video of an interview by Spanish football magazine Panenka with Casemiro from last year, which seemed to give some more context as to why he was so upset following his second red in such an illustrious career.
It’s worth noting that even the fouled player Alvarez got up off the deck to console Casemiro following his second red card in his last three Premier League appearances.
“I always try to get to the ball”, said Casemiro, “I always go strong because that is who I am and I like the intensity I play with, but there is no malice. I have never gone with studs to hurt a player”.
Antony‘s case is still ongoing, with a total of three women coming out to accuse him of domestic abuse — chiefly, his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, who was first to raise concerns surrounding his alleged behaviour — but his cooperation through the investigation has led them to revise their position.
Issuing an update on Friday morning confirming that the forward with be brought back into the fold until the situation is resolved.
A club statement reads as follows: “Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so.
“As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.
“As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”
Erik ten Hag‘s side plays their second game against Crystal Palace in less than a week after beating them 3-0 in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday and while it is not thought Antony will be brought straight back into the team, he will be available for selection moving forward.
United currently sit ninth in the Premier League with three wins and three losses to their name.
Man United to play Newcastle in Carabao Cup fourth round after Magpies knock out Man City
Last season’s Carabao Cup winners, Man United, now know their opponents for the next round after Newcastle United beat Man City 1-0 on Wednesday night, meaning both 2022/23 finalists will once again be meeting each other.
Either way, Alexander Isak’s single goal in the game at St James’ Park was enough to see the Magpies make it past the treble-winners despite a dominant first-half display from the away side.
Here’s the game-winning moment:
After receiving a yellow card during the game, the night ended with Guardiola fuming at referee Chris Kavanagh and exchanging more than a few words after the full-time whistle.
Clearing the moment up with reporters after the game, Pep said: “I don’t know how many fouls they did, how many fouls we had and the number of yellow cards, but it is what it is — sometimes the emotions are there. Respect for the referees and their job, a well-deserved yellow card.”
Nevertheless, the result has led to a repeat of last year’s culminating cup tie which, despite coming much earlier in the competition this time around, will see United facing off against a high-flying Newcastle team who just put eight goals past Sheffield United on this past Sunday.
The Magpies’ manager, Eddie Howe, has already said he and his side are aiming to “go one better” than they did last year and with the form they’re displaying at the moment — especially with United’s stuttering start — they stand a pretty good chance.
Elsewhere amongst the Premier League sides remaining in the competition, West Ham will host Arsenal, Bournemouth will play Liverpool at home and Sean Dyche’s Everton will play his old club Burnley.
Further down the footballing pyramid, Fulham visit Championship side Ipswich, Chelsea will host Blackburn and at least two other EFL sides will make it to the quarter-finals, with Mansfield at home to Port Vale and Exeter playing Middlesbrough.
All fourth-round ties are set to take place in the week commencing 30 October.
You can watch the highlights of Newcastle United vs Manchester City down below.