The National Trust is readying to reopen Manchester’s sky park Castlefield Viaduct this weekend.
The beautiful green space, built on top of the Grade II-listed viaduct with staggering views across Manchester city centre, has been closed for a short time while a new community workshop space was built.
The 330m steel Victoria viaduct is now readying to welcome back visitors from Saturday 10 February.
The elevated sky park has been open since July 2022 as a temporary pilot project, though the National Trust is hoping to make the project a permanent attraction for Manchester.
Since its launch, it’s welcomed more than 85,000 visitors, some through community activities in and around the city.
The charity has worked on transforming the previously-abandoned Castlefield Viaduct to increase access for all to nature, history and beauty in urban areas.
With its new workshop space, created with Sow the City, members of the public will be able to have a go at green-thumbed activities and learn horticultural skills like seed sowing and propogation.
The workshop has a huge workbench that can be modified for wheelchair users, mini greenhouses, soil, water and power.
Manchester’s Castlefield Viaduct sets to re-open after the winter months. Credit: Mark Waugh
Nancy Scheerhout, National Trust Head Gardener for Castlefield Viaduct, says: “We’re delighted to have worked with our partners, Sow the City, to bring this new workshop space to the viaduct.
“It will provide us and our community partners with a dedicated area to get more people involved in, and benefitting from, green activities. We’ve made the space as sociable and hands-on as possible, and we have plans to add interactive compost that people can see and hear!
“As a conservation charity dedicated to connecting more people with nature, we know the importance of increasing simple and everyday interactions with nature to enrich lives. Offering ‘green workshops’ and activities in the space, alongside our partners and friends, we can encourage small space growing in the city.
“It’s a great opportunity to grow people’s confidence and skills in creating their own greenspace, improving the environment, their wellbeing, and their skillset in the process.”
National Trust head gardener Nancy Scheerhout at Castlefield Viaduct. Credit: Mark Waugh
Jon Ross, Chief Executive of Sow the City, says: “We’re passionate about enabling more people to get involved with growing, engaging with urban nature and learning new skills and this space will support the communities we work with to do just that.
“This is the second space on the viaduct we’ve been involved with designing and installing, and we can’t wait to see people using the space and have a go ourselves!”
The rest of Castlefield Viaduct features four ‘partner plots’ operated by Hulme Community Garden Centre, City of Trees, Castlefield Forum and Sow the City.
The gardens have been planted to created year-round flora displays, and upcoming events will include the return of the city-wide ‘Bloomtown’ blossom trail this spring.
National Trust head gardener nancy and Kate Picker visitor operations and experience manager Manchester’s Castlefield Viaduct sets to re-open after the winter months.
Nancy continues: “As we head into our second spring on the viaduct, we’ve learned so much from this unique urban site and have developed our planting schemes for 2024 with those in mind. Planting at height, in the middle of a city centre, and in steel containers, means the team and I keep a close check on how things are bedding in and how life on the viaduct is evolving.
“We’re excited to welcome the public back and showcase great horticulture. For me, a garden only truly comes to life with people in it and engaging with nature. We’re looking forward to the many joys of spring.”
Entry onto Castlefield Viaduct will remain free when it reopens to the public this weekend. Members of the public can visit, without booking, every afternoon from 12.30pm and all day on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
There’s space for up to 10 people in the new community workshop, and local groups and communities are invited to reach out by emailing [email protected] to book their spot.
Plans to expand Greater Manchester’s tram network progress after £6m funding boost
Emily Sergeant
Plans for new tram and train connections across Greater Manchester have taken a big step forward after a £6m funding boost.
Last month, Mayor Andy Burnham and local council leaders pledged for 90% of people in Greater Manchester to be within a five-minute walk of a bus or tram that comes at least every 30 minutes by 2030 – and now, plans to deliver this strategy are one step closer to becoming reality thanks to significant investment.
Transport leaders have now confirmed a pipeline of ‘rapid transit’ schemes for the future.
£6 million of funding was signed-off by the Bee Network Committee earlier last week, following plans being discussed by Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA).
The work is all part of a wider plan, known as the Greater Manchester Strategy, to link every borough in Greater Manchester up the Metrolink network – with a long-term plan for major expansion of the Bee Network.
Plans to expand Greater Manchester’s tram network have progressed after a £6m funding boost / Credit: TfGM
Some of the major projects this £6m funding will pay for advancing planning towards include finalising strategies for extending the Metrolink to Stockport from East Didsbury this autumn, with construction to begin in 2030, and beginning strategy work on the completion of the Metrolink Airport Line ‘Western Leg’ – which would serve a number of ‘key growth areas’ at the Airport, Wythenshawe Hospital, and Davenport Green.
Another important project the funding will go towards is the preparation of the Strategic Outline Case for expanding Metrolink connections to Salford Crescent and Salford Quays, and out to the north west of the region – including potential options for links to Leigh, Wigan, and Bolton.
Work will also continue on plans for an Oldham-Rochdale-Heywood-Bury tram-train route too – with Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) says its leaders are aiming for construction on the scheme to begin in 2028.
Mayor Andy Burnham says the funding with help connect all 10 boroughs to the Metrolink / Credit: TfGM
“This latest funding means we can develop the case for a pipeline of both tram and tram-train new lines and extensions – and ultimately underground infrastructure in the city centre – to make sure we get a public transport system befitting the global city region we are.”
Featured Image – Janus Boye
Travel & Tourism
Manchester Mardi Gras lineup and stage times in full – the ultimate guide to Pride 2025’s new event
Danny Jones
This year’s Manchester Pride festival is nearly here, and with the organisers introducing an all-new addition to the celebrations in the form of Mardi Gras, 2025 is going to be unforgettable.
Promising to be bigger, better and bolder than ever, this new entire sub-section/spin-off/side-event (whatever you want to call it) is designed to up the party atmosphere even further over the long August bank holiday weekend.
For anyone as yet unaware, Manchester Pride 2025 will not just boast the usual parade, Gay Village Party and numerous other specific events in and around Canal Street, but an entirely new series; this year, Mardi Gras is taking over Depot Mayfield and Freight Island too, promising a whole host of shows.
So, without further ado, let’s get stuck into what’s on where and when, shall we?
Now, for starters, you can see the full lineup down below, including the likes of blockbuster headliner Nelly Furtado, who was announced as the final act for the closing night of Mardi Gras 2025 last week.
The are plenty of other big names playing Pride this year – take a look for yourselves.
It’s also worth noting that wristbands for Mardi Gras still grant you entry to all of this year’s Gay Village Party events, too.
Mardi Gras stage times for MCR Pride 2025
Next up are the stage times, and while we can certainly lay everything out for you, as with any festival, having to painstakingly check all of the clashes is up to you.
Anna Phylactic – 2:45-2:50pm N-Trance – 2:50-3:20pm Louis III – 3:30-4pm K-Klass – 4:10-7:10pm Louisa Johnson – 5-5:40pm Banksie – 5:20-5:35pm Tayce – 5:45-18:00 Big Freedia – 6:30-7pm Tulisa – 7:20-7:50pm Olly Alexander – 9:40-10:40pm Nelly Furtado – 11:30pm-12:30am
The former Little Mix star is headlines the night of Mardi Gras.Gok Wan sets always go off.Credit: Press Shots (supplied)
Freight Island
Sat, 23 August
Sun, 24 August
Bongo’s Bingo – 4-5pm Red Bull ‘Dance Your Style’ – 5:15-35pm Yshee Black – 5:35-5:50pm Shanika Sunrise – 5:55-6:10pm Bailey J Mills – 6:15-6:30pm Red Bull ‘Dance Your Style’ (second set) – 7-7:20pm Charity Shop Sue – 7:20-8:05pm Queenz: ‘Drag Me To The Disco’ – 8:15-9pm Dean McCullough’s Pop Machine – 9:15-10:15pm The Danny Beard Show – 11:33pm-12:28am
Bongo’s Bingo – 3:45-4:45pm Lucky Roy Singh – 5:20-5:25pm Tequila Thirst – 5:25-5:30pm Fortune – 5:35-5:40pm Minara el Waters – 5:40-5:45pm Lady Imelda – 5:45-5:55pm DJ – Club Zindagi – 6-6:30pm Singh/Raj/Fortune/Kaan/Awas – 6:30-6:35pm Sitara Malik – 6:35-6:40pm Awais – 6:40-6:45pm Saki Yew – 6:45-6:50pm Raj – 6:50-6:55pm Duniya Dhoom – 6:55-7pm Khaan – 7-7:05pm Buffer – 7:05-7:15pm Zahirah Zapanta – 7:15-7:20pm Amirck Channa – 7:20-7:25pm DJ – Club Zindagi (second set) – 7:25-7:55pm House of MCR ‘Pride Edition’ – 9pm-12:04am
The Garden Stage is often the quieter, more laid-back part of Freight Island, but there’ll still be plenty of entertainment to be found there this bank holiday…
That’s just about everything you need to know ahead of the inaugural edition of Mardi Gras as part of the annual Manchester Pride celebrations.
We hope you all have a wonderful time this weekend – look out for one another, be happy, unapologetically yourselves, and show this city in its best light like you every year.
And last but not least, you can find out everything else you need to know from our complete MCR Pride 2025 guide right here.