Marcus Rashford speaks out in response to viral ‘abuse’ video after match
"This isn't ego. I'm upset. I'm disappointed. And in that moment it was silly but I was being human."
Marcus Rashford has issued a statement in response to a viral video showing his interaction with fans after a match earlier this week.
The 24-year-old Wythenshawe-born footballer claims that there are “two sides to every story” and that “emotion got the better of me” during the moment when he was filmed after his Manchester United side were beaten 1-0 by Atletico Madrid at Old Trafford on Tuesday in the last 16 of the Champions League.
In the fan-recorded video, which has since gone viral on social media, footage appears to show Rashford walking past fans outside the ground, hearing something shouted at him, and then trying to head towards them before being ushered away by security.
Although what was said during the interaction is somewhat unclear, Rashford seems to make a gesture with his hand to the fans as he walks away.
Many have claimed Rashford stuck his middle finger up at the group of fans.
Read more: Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard condemn antisemitism after being pictured with rapper Wiley
The day after the match and following the video of the interaction racking up tens of thousands of views online, many have not only taken to critiquing Rashford for his supposed actions during the clip, but also the level of his performance once he came onto the pitch in the second half, and questioning whether the footballer is in the right place both mentally and physically since returning from injury.
Rashford has scored just five times in this season after making his return from shoulder surgery in October, and has started only two of United’s last seven games in all competitions.
Now, he has had his say.
Taking to Twitter to issue a statement on the video, Rashford denied that he had raised his middle finger to the fans lined up outside Old Trafford, and clarified the words that he used during the confrontation.
His statement read: “A video can paint a thousand words and in this case lead to inaccurate info being shared on social media.
“Guys for weeks I’ve been heckled, threatened, questioned and last night my emotion got the better of me. I’m a human being. Reading and hearing that stuff about yourself every day it wears you down. No one is more critical of my performance than me. But what you see in this video lacks context. I had been heckled from the minute I stepped foot outside the ground, abuse not just aimed at my football.”
Read more: Manchester United said to be considering demolishing Old Trafford as part of revamp
He added that he believed people were just “looking for a reaction from me,” and admits that he “should have walked straight passed and ignored it”.
“I want to clarify two things,” he continued.
“The first being what I actually said to the man throwing abuse at me which was ‘come over here and say it to my face’, a fact security can back up. Secondly, the fact I used my forefinger to direct the fan to ‘come over and say it to my face’. I did not gesture with my middle finger.
“I’m not entitled. This isn’t ego. I’m upset. I’m disappointed. And in that moment it was silly but I was being human.”
Featured Image – Instagram (@manchesterunited)
Portugal deny claims Ronaldo threatened to leave World Cup after being benched
Portugal have denied recent claims that Cristiano Ronaldo threatened to leave the 2022 World Cup after he was benched before their match against Switzerland.
Speaking in an official statement, the Portuguese FA rubbished a number of reports that their all-time leading goalscorer and national hero threatened to leave the tournament following manager Fernando Santos’ decision to drop him ahead of the game in the round of 16.
Ironically, the previous European champions weren’t left in short supply of goals, as they went on to win in a staggering 6-1 victory against the Swiss, with Ronaldo only coming on for 17 minutes at the end.
Nevertheless, the Portugal Football Federation (FPF) has insisted that no such conversation took place between the player and head coach Santos. As per national outlet A Bola, Ronaldo has apparently also made it clear that his country’s success at Qatar 2022 is his top priority.
The FPF went on to clarify in the statement: “Cristiano Ronaldo builds up a unique track record every day at the service of the national team and the country, which must be respected and which attests to the unquestionable degree of commitment to the national team.”
They also went on to thank him for his dedication and continued contribution to the squad by coming on as a substitute regardless of his reaction to being dropped.
The statement concludes by saying that the “players, coaches and FPF structure is, as it has been since the first day, fully committed and enthusiastic in building what the country wants to be Portugal’s best-ever participation in a World Cup.
While everyone is currently focused on football’s biggest competition, Ronaldo is reportedly set to join Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr FC in a record-breaking deal worth over €200 million.
This comes after his second spell at Manchester United ended in spectacular fashion following a tell-all interview with Piers Morgan. He is still set to earn £16 million in compensation following his abrupt exit.
Safe to say his legacy, at least among United fans, isn’t what it once was.
Will he silence his critics by adding a World Cup trophy to his long list of accolades?
For all the latest news, events and goings on in Greater Manchester, subscribe to The Manc newsletter HERE.
Featured Image — Portugal/Cristiano Ronaldo (via Twitter)
Peter Kay issues heartfelt thanks to Manchester fans and teases ANOTHER big announcement
Peter Kay has sent a lovely message to fans in Manchester after making his triumphant return to the live scene last weekend.
The Bolton comedian has just ticked off the first two nights of a mammoth run at the AO Arena, which includes 42 Manchester shows between now and 2025.
On his opening night – his first real venture into the spotlight since he largely stepped away from the public eye 12 years ago – he was moved to tears by the standing ovation he received before he’d even started the show.
And now Peter has issued a heartfelt thank you message.
He said in a statement: “I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who came to the first shows in Manchester.
“It was incredible to be part of such a happy experience.
“Everybody deserves a bit of joy. Here’s to a lot more in the shows to come!!”
And that’s not all – his post also hinted that there’s yet another announcement to come (because apparently more than 100 tour dates and breaking the internet with ticket demand wasn’t enough).
Read more: Peter Kay Live at Manchester AO Arena – times, tour dates, tickets and more
His post continued: “P.S. Big announcement Thursday on Sara Cox Drivetime Show just after 6pm.”
Peter is best-known to many for his show Peter Kay’s Car Share.
Is the fact he’s chosen a drive-time radio show to make his announcement pure coincidence?