Football fans, famous names, and more have been reacting to England’s “inspirational” win in the UEFA Women’s EURO 2022 final last week.
People have been taking to social media in their thousands to shower the Lionesses with deserved praise and support after they not only clinched the coveted title of 2022 European Champions by beating Germany 2-1 in a thrilling final match at Wembley Stadium yesterday – but also truly inspired the nation in the process.
In front of a roaring sold-out stadium packed full of excited fans, England scored the match’s first goal, with Tyldesley-born Manchester United forward Ella Toone smashing it into the back of the net in the 62nd minute, but hopes were dashed slightly when Germany equalised shortly after.
With the score 1-1 at the full 90-minutes, the match was taken to extra time.
The winning goal didn’t come straight away, but with the prospect of a penalties looming, the ball was at the feet of Manchester City star Chloe Kelly – who scored in the 110th minute to bring home the title.
The win is the country’s first international silverware since 1966.
Bringing home the title was the icing on the cake to what had been an impressive run of victories and goals by the Lionesses throughout European football’s flagship tournament, and has cemented its stars as household names throughout the country.
Many have already called England’s victory more than just a sporting achievement.
Some have branded it a “seismic moment” in this country’s history, and others have said the impact of the win is too great to truly quantify at this time.
Rafts of football fans, famous names, and people previously not-interested in women’s football alike have all taken to social media last night and this morning following the win to share their reactions and thoughts, and ultimately pay congratulations to the Lionesses.
The Lionesses took home the UEFA Women’s EURO 2022 title beating Germany 2-1 / Credit: Lionesses (via Twitter)
Queen Elizabeth II, and the Duke of Cambridge Prince William were among the famous names to lead the congratulations to the team.
“The championships and your performance in them have rightly won praise,” The Queen said.
“However, your success goes far beyond the trophy you have so deservedly earned. You have all set an example that will be an inspiration for girls and women today, and for future generations. It is my hope that you will be as proud of the impact you have had on your sport as you are of the result today.”
Prince William – who is president of the FA, and watched the match live at Wembley yesterday – described the match as “sensational”, and said “the whole nation couldn’t be prouder of you all”.
“Your success goes far beyond the trophy you have so deservedly earned.
“You have all set an example that will be an inspiration for girls and women today, and for future generations.”
🏴 🏆 The Queen has sent a message of congratulations to the @Lionesses:
Sensational. An incredible win @lionesses and the whole nation couldn’t be prouder of you all. Wonderful to see history in the making tonight at Wembley, congratulations! W
— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) July 31, 2022
Several of England’s national men’s team also took to both Twitter and Instagram to share their messages of support and congratulate the Lionesses, as well as a few of them being present at Wembley to watch the win live.
England captain Harry Kane, as well as Jack Grealish, Marcus Rashford, and Phil Foden were just a few of the players to publicly show support.
Absolutely unreal scenes at Wembley!! Massive congrats to the amazing @Lionesses!! @ellatoone99 take a bow for that finish too 👌
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire said on Twitter: “Huge congratulations to the Lionesses. Brilliant game. History made. The whole country is proud of you. Enjoy the celebrations.”
“Unbelievable achievement from the Lionesses. An inspiration to everyone in the country,” Manchester City’s newest recruit and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips said on Twitter.
Former City winger Raheem Sterling also called the Lionesses “history-makers” on Twitter.
Gary Lineker, Michael Owen, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, and a handful of English football’s other most-famous names in recent years have also heaped praise on the Lionesses after the win.
Football is a simple game. 22 women chase a ball for 90 minutes and, at the end, England actually win. Congratulations @lionesses. Fabulous.
What the @Lionesses have just done is amazing and so damned bloody hard to do. A seismic moment for Sport in this country! Well done to you all 🏴 ❤️⚽️
Former England and Arsenal defender Alex Scott struggled to speak as the players celebrated their win on the Wembley pitch, explaining: “This is a dream, an absolute dream for every young girl that dreamt of playing football.
“It’s incredible.
“Every single player has played a part. Nikita Parris, who came on at the end, came on to do a job for the team and the way teams play as a whole determines its success.”
Away from football, countless celebrities and well-known names have congratulated the Lionesses on their title, with some of the most prominent and heartfelt messages of support coming from iconic 90s girlband Spice Girls, singer Adele, Dame Joan Collins, and comedian Miranda Hart.
Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood also said that the Lionesses had “made us all so proud” as he congratulated them.
“What an incredible result – Thank you forever!” he added.
Adele described the achievement as a “game changer, and shared a photo of the Lionesses celebrating their win on Instagram, writing: “You did it – It’s come home.”
Crying. So brilliant. So important. Too emotional to articulate more. I am glad there are 7 year olds watching this who wanted to be a goalkeeper like I did! But didn’t think it was ‘appropriate’ or ‘allowed’ to voice it. Thank you Lionesses. #Lionesses
New ‘postboxes of the future’ are being rolled out across the UK
Danny Jones
The Royal Mail is starting to roll out its line of so-called “postboxes of the future” across the UK this year, including right here in Greater Manchester.
It has been dubbed the most important and noticeable transformation to the classic British postbox in its entire 175-year history.
The national postal service teased the modern-day upgrade earlier this year, but the revolutionary new upgrade was officially announced this week, with Royal Mail ushering in a new era of digitally-driven units that should make many lives a lot easier – at least in theory.
Although they might look pretty identical to the iconic red boxes since before the turn of the 19th century have used up and down the country, there are marked differences between the new and the old ones.
Credit: Royal Mail
The biggest change made to the Royal Mail’s soon-to-be standard design is a digitally activated drop-down drawer, which will be able to fit parcels as big as a shoebox, hopefully saving us Brits on a fair few trips to the post office.
You will be able to scan a barcode via the updated Royal Mail app to activate the drawer for larger items; meanwhile, there will be a separate slot for letters and smaller packages.
Additionally, the new range of high-tech postboxes will also be solar-powered, helping the public limited company chase its ‘green’ targets.
Now owned by parent firm International Distribution Services (IDS) – who also oversee Parcelforce Worldwide – following the UK government’s approval of its historic sale to Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský at the end of 2024, the group as a whole is undergoing a significant overhaul.
Britain’s new solar postboxes were first trialled back in April in four towns located throughout the Hertfordshire region: Letchworth Garden City, Ware and Hertford. A fifth was later installed in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire, too.
Despite being quickly considered a success on the whole, the initial design featured an entirely black top, with polls of civilians and Royal Mail themselves agreeing that keeping them red all over was more in keeping with the brand.
It’s like the old school phone box, isn’t it? We can’t picture it any other way.
📮Attention Postbox Lovers 📮
Royal Mail is upgrading postboxes to accept parcels. They'll gaining a new slot and a solar panel on top
Speaking in a statement, the Royal Mail‘s managing director of ‘out-of-home and commercial excellence’, Jack Clarkson, said: “We are all sending and returning more parcels than ever before.
“This trend will only continue as online shopping shows no signs of slowing, particularly with the boom of second-hand marketplaces. There are 115,000 postboxes in the UK located within half a mile of 98% of addresses, making them by far the most convenient network of parcel drop-off points in the UK.
“Our message is clear – if you have a Royal Mail label on your parcel, and it fits, put it in a postbox and we’ll do the rest.”
The new generation postboxes are now being made permanent in the same locations, with Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester next.
Keep your eyes peeled on the streets as they’ll soon be making a debut in your area.
Rugby Football League to merge second and third divisions from next year
Danny Jones
The Rugby Football League (RFL) has officially announced that it will be combining the Championship and League One divisions next year as part of a larger restructuring.
Besides the push for phasing out automatic promotion and relegation with the top flight, these will be among the biggest changes in the RFL since the creation of the Super League.
Revealing their plans earlier this week, the rugby authority confirmed that the second and third-tier divisions will be merging, with the changes set to be implemented from 2026 onwards.
You can see the statement in full down below, which has been met with a mix of
Confirmed in a lengthier statement online this past Wednesday, 27 August, the update reads: “The RFL Board have confirmed that the Betfred Championship and League One competitions will be combined in a single division outside the Betfred Super League (BSL) in 2026.
“This follows the decision to expand Super League from 12 clubs to 14, subject to conditions – which was taken by the existing Super League clubs last month.
“A number of fixture formats are being developed following consultation with the Championship and League One clubs, but there will be no final announcement until after the number and identity of clubs in each of the two expanded competitions is confirmed, on Thursday, October 16.
“However, the reversion to a single division outside Super League means the Middle Eights that had been scheduled for the end of the 2025 season, as a means of determining promotion and relegation between Championship and League One, will no longer take place.”
It’s also worth noting that these changes will also see the proposed Super 8s end-of-season fixtures scrapped, as the 12 teams set to compete in the playoff-style tournament are obviously now being combined into one league moving forward.
The Super 8s competition that would involve the top four League One clubs and the bottom four Championship clubs has been abandoned by the Rugby Football League.
It is highly expected that the Championship and League One will merge into one big division of 21 teams next season… pic.twitter.com/WDkshjYTS2
As detailed in the latest communication from the RFL, the League One champions’ prize of £25,000, as well as the usual trophy and medals promised at the start of the season, are still up for grabs; the Championship Play-Offs will still also take place as scheduled.
The winners of the Betfred Championship Grand Final are to receive £100k and 0.25 club grading points.
Commenting on the impending overhaul, Rugby League Commercial Chair Nigel Wood OBE – who headed up the latest strategic review – said: “Following the decision of the Betfred Super League clubs that the elite competition should expand to 14 clubs in 2026, subject to conditions, this is a logical and equally exciting next step.
“The Championship and L1 clubs have been extensively consulted and were virtually unanimous that the two divisional structure for the part-time game wasn’t working as well as it ought, particularly League One – and it is a great credit to the Championship clubs that they recognised that position.”
Reiterating the belief that this is the best way to support and promote “historic and ambitious clubs” outside of the BSL, helping boost attendances, finances and hopefully future investment. It remains a touchy subject for some, though.
The RFL merging divisions may not yet even matter for some.
Speaking of clubs looking for further backing, questions remain over the vetting process for investors and the ‘fit and proper persons tests’ in both rugby and football, especially with the ongoing crisis at Salford Red Devils.
With all that being said, while everyone will have the chance to win the new Championship and perhaps Super League promotion, the likes of Salford are just trying to stay afloat.
Regardless, what do you make of the RFL merging the Championship and League, and do you think it’s the right step for the future of rugby league?