Series six of Peaky Blinders will air this weekend, with audiences transported back to post-war Birmingham.
The much-loved Shelby family are returning to our screens for the next instalment of the smash-hit gangster drama.
There’ll be a notable absence in season six though – Helen McCrory, who played matriarch Polly Gray, sadly died last April after a private cancer battle.
A tribute to the actor is believed to air in the season premiere this week.
Here’s what you need to know ahead of the return of Peaky Blinders.
ADVERTISEMENT
What is the release date for Peaky Blinders season six?
Cillian Murphy will be back in season six of Peaky Blinders. Credit: BBC
Producers finally revealed the release date for the sixth instalment of Peaky Blinders last week.
Creator Steven Knight had previously said they were aiming for a springtime release – but fans were pleasantly surprised by how early the episodes will begin.
ADVERTISEMENT
The release date was revealed with a huge mural painted by Manchester’s mural king and legendary street artist, Akse P19.
It’s all set to kick off on Sunday February 27 from 9pm.
It’s then set to air one episode a week at 9pm on Sundays.
ADVERTISEMENT
Where to watch Peaky Blinders season six
Tommy and Arthur Shelby in Peaky Blinders. Credit: BBC
Although the previous series of Peaky Blinders are all available to watch on Netflix, it won’t be the streaming platform that gets first dibs on the new episodes.
Episodes will only air once a week, and there’s expected to be six in total, as in previous series.
Where was season six filmed?
The Peaky Blinders cast in a previous series filming at Victoria Baths in Manchester. Credit: BBC
A lot of the scenes in the final instalment of Peaky Blinders were filmed right here in Manchester, despite the drama being based in Birmingham.
Huge sets were built around Castlefield, with the ancient cobbled streets transformed into both Chinatown and Small Heath.
ADVERTISEMENT
Crews even built a mock frontage for the Garrison pub, which is owned by the Shelby family.
Cillian Murphy was also spotted filming scenes on a narrowboat on the canals in Castlefield.
It’s not the first time the drama has visited our city – scenes from previous series were shot around Mangle Street, London Road Fire Station, Victoria Baths and Stockport Plaza.
What happened at the end of the last series?
If you haven’t watched season five yet – stop reading now, spoilers lie ahead.
It was an action-packed few weeks with the Shelby family, including plenty of sex, violence and politics.
ADVERTISEMENT
The season began with the Wall Street crash of 1929 and the decimation of the Shelby finances, which drives a huge wedge between Tommy and Michael (Polly’s son).
Meanwhile, Tommy is now MP for Birmingham South, and feeding information about fascist Oswald Mosley to British intelligence services.
At the end of the series, Tommy’s attempt to assassinate Mosley in an elaborate plan backfires, resulting in the death of Polly’s fiance Aberama Gold.
The bold cliffhanger saw Tommy’s PTSD in full, devastating effect, with the show’s star strolling into a field with a gun to his head.
Will he pull the trigger? We’ll soon find out.
ADVERTISEMENT
What has the creator said?
Steven Knight has confirmed that this will be the last series of Peaky Blinders, but a feature-length film is planned to properly tie things up.
In an interview with the BBC, Knight said: “I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I would just say: Tommy is about to face enemies and demons more powerful than anything he’s ever faced before.
“It’s the mid 1930s, fascism is on the rise, the Shelbys are more powerful than ever. But demons are coming to reclaim Tommy Shelby.
“What I’ve wanted from the beginning is to start off with a character who seems irredeemable. Who is switched off completely; whose humanity has been torn out of him by his experiences in the war.
ADVERTISEMENT
“And then slowly bring him back to life, to turn him back into a human being over the however many hours that we’ve done. And I think at the end of six, for all the bad things that he’s done, Tommy is a human being.”
Featured image: BBC
TV & Showbiz
Tim Burgess pens touching tribute to ‘everyone’s mate’ Mani
Danny Jones
Legendary local musician Tim Burgess has written a touching tribute to the late, great Gary ‘Mani’ Mounfield as people continue to pay their respects to the iconic Stone Roses bass player.
The Charlatans’ frontman, who recently got the band back in the recording studio for their stunning 14th studio album, is one of many who have taken the time to honour the influential Manc musician over the past few days.
Mani, 63, who also saw his career reignited as a regular member of Primal Scream after his time with the Roses, sadly passed away last week.
Penning a lengthy eulogy for The Sunday Times, Burgess was unaware that the digital version of the paper would be behind a paywall, deciding instead to share it publicly online.
Sharing the first few excerpts from the full article, the 58-year-old lead singer, solo artist and Salfordian said of Mani: “People have more stories to tell of their shared adventures with Mani than anyone else I know, often simply about enjoying a gig with him.”
The most striking part of his column is how much of it reiterates not just the Crumpsall native’s undying love for music but his raw obsession with the medium.
Perhaps most touchingly, however, is how he is positioned as “everyone’s mate” in the piece – a sentiment that seems to have been echoed all over social media, among the countless Manchester United fans that bumped into him at games, in the pub chat since and countless other corners.
Burgess is one of several high-profile artists to have honoured Mounfield in their own way; Richard Ashcroft and Oasis playing the ‘She Bangs the Drums’ riff and dedicating ‘Live Forever’ to their idol, The Membranes member and Louder Than War boss, John Robb, speaking via the BBC, just to name a few.
A particularly heartbreaking line is when he says, “On hearing the news of his death last week, I found solace in the idea that Mani lived life to the full. But at 63, it was a life cut lamentably short.” You can read more down below.
Since disclosing the Times write-up with his followers, it’s clear that the 58-year-old is going through a period of reflection following the death of not just a peer and role model but a close friend.
On Sunday, he summed up his feelings perfectly: “Go to that gig. Listen to that song, dust off that record player, learn to play that guitar. Music helps us through. Life can be overwhelming at times. Music can help, I promise you that.”
We couldn’t agree more.
Speaking of – we don’t know about you, but we’re going to be playing the best of The Stone Roses for the foreseeable future, and there’s a good chance we’ll also be heading to Chorlton for a special tribute DJ set by one of his friends and former colleagues.
Childish Gambino confirms shock stroke that caused him to cancel his world tour
Danny Jones
Donald Glover, a.k.a. Childish Gambino, has revealed that a stroke caused the cancellation of his Manchester gig and the rest of the shows on his world tour last year.
The multi-talented artist, actor, comedian, writer, filmmaker and jack-of-all-trades, who goes by the Gambino moniker in the music world, was scheduled to play a UK leg as part of his globetrotting series of live dates in 2024.
However, just over a month into the run, which kicked off in August, the 42-year-old musician didn’t just postpone the tour but had to cancel it altogether for the foreseeable future after falling ill on stage.
It has now been confirmed that the reason for this was a stroke, and also a serious problem with his heart, which required surgery.
At the time, he could only confirm an unknown ‘ailment’.
Detailing the incident to a crowd while playing at fellow rapper Tyler, the Creator‘s Camp Flog Gnaw festival this past weekend, ‘Gambino’ delivered the shocking news in a very matter-of-fact manner.
Confirming the stroke and a hole in his heart live to the LA audience on Saturday, 22 November, Glover began by stating that he was having a really good time on the tour, before adding: “I had a really bad pain in my head in Louisiana, and I did the show anyway.”
“I couldn’t really see well”, he continued, “so when we went to Houston, I went to the hospital and the doctor was like, ‘You had a stroke.'” Yep, as simple as that.
He even went on to joke that he was copying fellow actor and singer Jamie Foxx, who also suffered a stroke back in 2023, which presented as a bad headache – one of several sudden signs of a hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke.
You can see the clip down below.
Childish Gambino reveals that he had a stroke and a hole was found in his heart and is why he had to stop his tour pic.twitter.com/YxeQYBWDBA
After visiting the hospital, it was then discovered that he had a hole in his heart, sometimes referred to as a septal defect.
The Stone Mountain-raised musician ended up needing two procedures to fix the problem and is now, thankfully, in good health and able to perform live once again.
Nevertheless, he’s not taking anything for granted after the severe health scare, telling fans on the night: “They say everybody has two lives and the second life starts when you realise you have one; you got one life, guys, and I gotta be honest, the life I’ve lived with you guys has been such a blessing,” he told fans.
His Manchester show at the AO Arena is still yet to be rescheduled, as are any of his UK dates, but we’re glad he’s not only back on the mend but back doing what he does best.