The Royal Family has today unveiled the programme of celebrations as Queen Elizabeth II marks her 70-year reign next year.
Her Majesty The Queen will celebrate her Platinum Jubilee from Thursday 2 June to Sunday 5 June 2022, and this milestone means she will be the first ever British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee.
She acceded to the throne in 1952 at age 25.
A number of events are planned for the celebratory four-day weekend, including Trooping the Colour, lighting of Platinum Jubilee Beacons, a thanksgiving service at St Paul’s Cathedral, and crucially, an extra Bank Holiday.
Announcing the news on the Royal Family’s official Twitter account this morning, a spokesperson said: “The weekend will provide an opportunity for communities across the UK to come together to celebrate this historic milestone.”
Trooping the Colour and the lighting of the beacons will take place on Thursday 2 June 2022.
Beacons will also be lit in each of the capital cities of the Commonwealth countries for the first time to celebrate the occasion, as well as throughout the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and UK overseas territories.
The service of thanksgiving will be held on Friday 3 June 2022, and “further events will be announced in due course”, according to the official spokesperson.
There will also be a live ‘Platinum Party at the Palace’ concert, The Big Jubilee Lunch and the Platinum Jubilee Pageant.
The concert – which will be staged and broadcast by the BBC – will be held on Saturday 4 June 2022, and is aiming to “bring together some of the world’s biggest entertainment stars”, according to the Royal Family’s website.
Members of the public will be invited to apply for tickets to attend.
On Sunday 5 June 2022, the Big Lunch will “bring the Jubilee celebrations into the heart of every community”, where Brits can hold street parties, picnics or garden barbecues to take part.
The Platinum Jubilee Pageant will feature “over 5,000 people from across the UK and the Commonwealth”.
The entire extended Bank Holiday weekend is set to “combine street arts, theatre, music, circus, carnival and costume” to celebrate the Queen’s 70-year reign, as well as “national moments of reflection”.
Featured Image – Flickr
Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear diagnosed with dementia
Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear, who famously played the iconic character Bet Lynch for over 25 years, has sadly been diagnosed with dementia.
Issuing a statement via ITV, her husband Scott Brand confirmed that they had been given the “heartbreaking diagnosis” this week.
Goodyear, 81, played the legendary Rovers Return pub landlord for over two decades across two different spells on the show, starting in 1966 before leaving the show for good in 1995.
Brand told the outlet on Wednesday: “Unfortunately, Julie has been suffering forgetfulness for some time and we have been seeking medical advice and assistance, but we now know that there is no hope of a reversal in the situation – and that her condition will get progressively, and perhaps speedily, worse.”
He went on to say that he and Goodyear “have taken the decision to publicly announce the diagnosis as Julie still loves visiting friends and eating out”, noting that she inevitably gets recognised “and fans love to meet her – and she them – but she can get confused particularly if she is tired” and adding they “hope people will understand.”
The Manc soap star and household name is from Heywood in Rochdale and retired from acting in 2003 after making her final special appearance on the Coronation Street spin-off, After Hours.
Manchester United star Antony accused of domestic violence by ex-girlfriend
Manchester United winger Antony dos Santos has been accused of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend in Brazil.
The 23-year-old has been hit with multiple allegations of assault, bodily injury and threatening behaviour by Antony, including one incident which is reported to have required surgery.
As per ESPN Brasil, a police report was filed against the United star by his ex-partner Gabriela Cavallin on Monday, which listed a total of four different incidents beginning in July 2022.
The DJ and influencer alleged that the first instance of abuse happened after the pair broke up at a party, with Antony apparently pulling her by the arm and by her hair before pushing her into a car. Cavallin was also estimated to be about 17 weeks pregnant at the time, though this wasn’t cited in the incident report.
As the report goes on to detail, Cavallin sadly lost the child and while she does not attribute the miscarriage to the domestic violence, she claims that Antony continued to abuse her physically and emotionally up until as recently as May this year, having got back together with him for a time.
Other instances of abuse are said to include Cavallin being attacked in her own apartment in January (citing “reasons of jealousy”), which reportedly caused the displacement of her silicone implants and required surgery, as well as two more attacks — one of which was apparently witnessed by a friend and Antony’s mother.
The 22-year-old also mentioned that she was left with a cut on her finger by a glass broken by Antony — photos of the scar being attached to the police report — adding that he assaulted her again later that day and broke her phone “so she would not call for help”. She claims she only managed to leave five hours later after the Brazilian international’s physiotherapist took her to the doctor.
While an initial report by globo.com suggested that the fourth and final alleged attack took place on 20 May when Antony had already travelled with his club teammates for their game against Bournemouth, it has since been clarified that the abuse and threatening behaviour took place over the phone.
Cavallin claims Antony threatened her during a call on 20 May, warning that “if he saw her with someone, he would kill her”; she also noted several instances when the player had threatened to “kill himself” after they fought in the past.
She claims the two haven’t spoken since 28 May.
Brazilian police are now said to be investigating Cavallin’s claims after she presented photographs of multiple injuries supposedly sustained by the footballer and also requested “urgent protective measures” against him. There is no indication whether British authorities are currently involved.
The details of the case are yet to be fully verified and neither the player nor his club have issued a statement at this time.