Football fans have been reacting and reflecting on a historic tournament after England’s devastating defeat to Italy in the Euro 2020 final.
Loss in elite level sport will always be tough to take – but this one truly stings.
It was a triumphant run to the final by a team that captured the hearts of the nation and brought people together after a tough 15 months, but millions of people right across the UK are waking up this morning to the reality sinking in that Gareth Southgate’s Three Lions squad couldn’t quite clinch the win to bring home England’s first international victory since 1966.
After taking an early lead within the first three minutes of the match thanks to a goal by Manchester United left back Luke Shaw, Italy equalised in the second half as seasoned Italian defender Leonardo Bonucci found the back of the net.
The game subsequently ran through extra time to be taken down to penalties.
ADVERTISEMENT
Youngsters Bukayo Saka, 19, Marcus Rashford, 23, and Jadon Sancho, 21, all missed penalties – leaving Italy with a 3-2 victory.
This has been some journey. As a nation, we were united in a belief that we can achieve something special after the hardest of years.
It wasn't meant to be, but this team is just getting started. They will continue to make you proud, both on and off the pitch. pic.twitter.com/vDaTXvo6cH
Burdened with a unique feeling that most of us will never experience, the players were understandably seen in tears after the game, but were embraced by their England teammates and Southgate – who admitted in a post-match interview that he had chosen who should take the penalties, saying: “I decided on the penalty takers based on what we’ve done in training.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Nobody is on their own – that’s my call and it totally rests on me.”
“The opportunity was there for us, we didn’t quite take it and that’s going to hurt for a very long time,” England captain Harry Kane also said after the match.
“But that’s football and we have to get over it and move on.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We have to build belief from this, we have a great young squad [so] we have to dust ourselves down, hold our heads high and get ready for [the 2022 World Cup].”
Although the loss was agonising for fans, countless public figures and famous names have taken to social media to issue encouraging messages to a team that has provided the nation with so much hope over the last month.
The Duke of Cambridge, who was present at Wembley alongside the The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George, lead the plaudits.
Heartbreaking. Congratulations @Azzurri on a great victory. @England, you’ve all come so far, but sadly this time it wasn’t our day. You can all hold your heads high, and be so proud of yourselves — I know there’s more to come. W
— The Prince and Princess of Wales (@KensingtonRoyal) July 11, 2021
Several other famous names, including Mancs and Mancs by association, also had their say.
This is not the end for this young. @england side, it’s just the beginning. Congratulations to @azzurri. You deserved it.
All the boys who put themselves forward to take a pen we are proud of you – takes a form of bravery to step up in such pressurised situations. @BukayoSaka87@Sanchooo10@MarcusRashford we salute you boys
Heartbreaking. But this squad has a bright future and they’ve lifted the nation both on and off the pitch after a shocking year or so. Bring on The @FIFAWorldCup in Qatar. #ThreeLions
Gutted about the footy but gotta BIG UP the lads and Gareth Southgate and the fans that was something else we go again on the World Cup peace n love and most of all RESPECT ✊ LG x
Sadly, although there has been an outpouring of support, it has been confirmed that Saka, Rashford, and Sancho have all been subjected to abhorrent racist discrimination on social media – which the FA said it “strongly condemns” and has labelled “disgusting”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Police said they were investigating “racist and offensive” messages on social media.
The FA added: “We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team [and] we will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.”
“We stand with our players,” the England team said on Twitter.
We’re disgusted that some of our squad – who have given everything for the shirt this summer – have been subjected to discriminatory abuse online after tonight’s game.
Prime Minister Boris has also tweeted this morning to say that: “This England team deserve to be lauded as heroes, not racially abused on social media.
“Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves.”
ADVERTISEMENT
This England team deserve to be lauded as heroes, not racially abused on social media.
Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer also said in a tweet this morning that: “The entire England team have brought us together and given us memories that will last a life time. They represent the best of us.
“Anyone racially abusing them is a disgrace and doesn’t represent us at all.
“More can and must be done to stop online abuse.”
The Metropolitan Police confirmed last night a total of 45 arrests were made in connection with policing the Euro 2020 final, which comes after thousands of fans gathered at Wembley prior to kick-off, with video footage showing dozens of people suddenly running into the area underneath the stadium stands and up the stairs.
Staff wearing hi-vis jackets tried to stop the crowds – but were overwhelmed.
ADVERTISEMENT
Further scenes of public disturbance and violence involving members of the public following the final whistle have since emerged on social media in the early hours in the morning.
Police are yet to issue an updated statement on the matter.
Attempting to lift spirits as the reality sets in this morning, England’s official Twitter account shared some sentimental words referencing the ‘Football’s Coming Home’ chant – which has been the soundtrack to another English summer – with a half-and-half picture of a grassroots pitch and Wembley Stadium.
“Coming home? Perhaps it was here all along.”
We made some history, but couldn’t achieve the one thing we’re all dreaming of.
But football is about more than trophies, and we’ve seen that all summer.
Greater Manchester stadiums included in the bid to host the Women’s World Cup confirmed
Danny Jones
The locations for the official UK bid to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup have been revealed, along with the Greater Manchester football stadiums chosen for the honour.
Not exactly a ground-breaking spoiler, but the FA did make a somewhat curious choice when they shared the news.
In case you hadn’t heard the news earlier this year, our nation has officially thrown its hat into the ring for the Women’s World Cup (WWC) in 2035, with England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all set to offer up their arenas as part of the record-breaking proposal.
Naturally, a region as footy-obsessed as ours and with two of the biggest stadiums in the country was always going to be included, but as mentioned, there was a particular detail that lots of people quickly noticed following the announcement.
Yes, in a slightly bizarre but ultimately innocuous turn of events, Etihad Stadium – home of Manchester City FC – has been selected, as was the world-famous ‘Theatre of Dreams‘, the only difference being that it was listed separately from the city itself.
Instead, Man United’s iconic home turf, Old Trafford, has been listed as just that: in Trafford, specifically, as opposed to simply being listed in the same section as its sky blue counterpart.
Now, while it’s true that all 10 boroughs have their own identity, culture (not to mention some subscribing to still being part of Lancashire or even Cheshire), it did strike us and others as a bit odd to put that rather iconic and equally historic venue down as almost separate from the city.
Many would argue that one of the things Manchester is best known for around the globe is the team of Red Devils that play at that ground.
Naturally, ‘Cityzens‘ have had their fair share of fun with the post and, conversely, there’s been plenty of retorts regarding ‘supporters from Stockport’, as you would expect…
Nevertheless, we’re just glad to see the Etihad and Old Trafford continuing to cater to some of the biggest dates on the sporting calendar.
Some have actually argued that the region should have been given opportunities to host more stadiums and/or games as part of the market pitch, as the likes of both Bolton Wanderers and Wigan Athletic’s stadiums were floated as viable or even better alternatives, capacity-wise.
Either way, with the 22 venues that have been selected for the UK’s bid for the 2035 Women’s World Cup and us Brits currently unopposed in the race to secure the tournament, the FA are going all-in for the 48-team competition, which would be “the biggest single-sport event ever staged in the UK.”
You can read more down below.
Our shared ambition: to host the largest single-sport event ever staged in the UK, and the first FIFA World Cup in this country since 1966.#AllTogetherpic.twitter.com/y6GOPEPDdG
Wolf Alice at AO Arena, Manchester – tickets, times, setlist and more for UK tour
Thomas Melia
London-formed rock band Wolf Alice are now on the road for their UK tour, and they’re visiting AO Arena in Manchester to put a ‘Smile’ on our faces.
We’re trying our best to be ‘Formidable Cool’, but when Wolf Alice come to town, we think everyone is allowed to lose it a little bit.
Known for bangers like ‘Don’t Delete the Kisses’, ‘Silk’ and ‘Lipstick On The Glass’, just to name a few, this band have built a cult following thanks to their always-impressive discography.
15 years since forming and just over 10 years since their debut album My Love Is Cool hit airwaves, with their lead singles ‘Fluffy’ and ‘Bros’, just three months later, they’ve been on a roll since. Now, Wolf Alice are playing their biggest Manc gigs to date at none other than our iconic 21,000-seater venue, AO Arena.
Gig guide | Wolf Alice at AO Arena Manchester
Wolf Alice’s upcoming gig is taking place at AO Arena in Manchester on Friday 28 November / Credit: Press Shots (via Supplied)
Wolf Alice UK tour dates
Fri 28 November – Manchester, UK – AO Arena
Sat 29 November – Birmingham, UK – Utilita Arena
Mon 1 December – Cardiff, UK – Utilita Arena
Tue 2 December – London, UK – The O2
Wed 3 December – London, UK – The O2
Fri 5 December – Leeds, UK – First Direct Arena
Sun 7 December – Glasgow, UK – OVO Hydro
Mon 8 December – Nottingham, UK – Motorpoint Arena
Wolf Alice tickets for AO Arena gig
This band might be bigger than any ‘Giant Peach’ you could possibly think, but you might just be able to get your hand on a ticket or two for the last Wolf Alice gig in Manchester on their final night this Friday, 28 November.
Stop ‘Leaning Against the Wall’ and get onto your favourite ticket site as there are still a handful of tickets for Wolf Alice’s upcoming Manchester show available right HERE.
What are the stage times for Wolf Alice in Manchester?
AO Arena has a curfew of 11pm, meaning you can get home in time for some ‘Bread Butter Tea Sugar’ before the early hours.
There’s not one but two incredible acts set to support Wolf Alice, and it’s none other than former-FRIGS lead singer, Bria Salmena, as well as American rock trio, Sunflower Bean.
Doors for this event are opening from 6pm, and Wolf Alice are expected to take the stage from around 7:30pm onwards before combining into a supergroup in time for closing time.
Thank u Europe and thank u @Florence_Road Touring in Europe is magic. We don’t take it for granted, so grateful for you all turning up. 🥹 Lots of love xxx
For those of you heading to AO Arena, luckily, it’s connected to Manchester Victoria Station, and it has an integrated Metrolink stop to make your life even easier.
Head along the pink, light blue or yellow lines directly to the Victoria stop, and you can get off the tram literally spitting distance from the arena. You can find the full map HERE.
Train
Considering this live entertainment venue is situated right in the middle of one of Manchester’s most frequented stations, concertgoers should find no problem getting to the arena, wherever they are.
Bus
A variety of buses cover AO Arena andVictoria Station on their route, such as the 2 bus, which stops just a one-minute walk away from the venue.
A full list of buses and their routes can be found HERE.
Getting there by car and parking
The Arena has its own official CitiPark, with 958 car parking spaces, including 40 Blue Badge parking bays, which can be booked in advance.
Alternatively, anyone attending a gig can park at their nearest train station and jump on a train service or the various Metrolink park and ride facilities.
Walk/cycle
Greater Manchester now also offers the option to hire bikes through the Beryl app, with riders able to locate, unlock, get to their destination and then safely lock up the bike all through an easy-to-use app.