Greater Manchester has been allocated over £1 billion in funding to deliver its “transformational” transport network.
It’s been a long time coming, but Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) has revealed that the government has officially confirmed a package of revenue funding from the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlements (CRSTS) for the city-region.
The funding will ultimately pave the way for the highly-anticipated, London-style transport system – the Bee Network.
Although the CRSTS funding allocation of £1.07 billion was initially announced ahead of last year’s autumn Budget, it’s been confirmed this week that it will be supported by £170 million in local contributions, which means there’ll be £1.2 billion worth of investment in local roads, bus, train and tram services over the next five years – with new quality bus corridors, cycling and walking routes and improved transport infrastructure and connectivity for towns and high streets in the region, GMCA says.
The funding will also help boost the city-region’s plans to improve air quality.
ADVERTISEMENT
Greater Manchester will receive £1.07bn from City Region Sustainable Transport Settlements to help deliver Bee Network: a transformational London style transport system for GM.
— Greater Manchester Combined Authority (@greatermcr) April 4, 2022
It’s set to support a move to a fully-electrified bus fleet, with 50 new zero emission buses expected to serve Bolton and Wigan when the first phase of bus franchising is introduced on 17 September 2023.
Cheaper fares will also be rolled out alongside bus franchising, with adult and children single journey fares capped at £2 and £1 respectively.
ADVERTISEMENT
Breaking down the funding allocation from this week’s groundbreaking announcement, it was confirmed that Greater Manchester will receive £94.8 million from the government’s Bus Back Better strategy, and the Metrolink will also receive £20.5 million recovery funding to support the continued operation of services for the next six months.
Greater Manchester has been allocated over £1 billion in funding to deliver its “transformational” transport network / Credit: TfGM
A funding allocation for the city-region’s bus operators, however, is yet to be confirmed.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham has called for “more certainty over recovery funding”, with around £70 million said to be needed to keep tram and bus services operating at the current level throughout this financial year – especially as a “stable and reliable” public transport network is central to the delivery of the Bee Network.
“This funding will allow us to bring forward an improved bus service, with new buses, lower fares and more frequent services,” Mayor Andy Burnham said of the funding announcement.
“However, as welcome as [the] announcement is, the revenue funding is about half of what we bid for, and we still don’t know how much recovery funding bus operators will get to keep services running.
The funding will ultimately pave the way for the highly-anticipated, London-style transport system – the Bee Network / Credit: TfGM
“We have been working closely with government on a funding model that will enable us to stabilise, rebuild and ultimately transform public transport, but can only deliver the Bee Network if we have a sound foundation to build upon and without a longer-term recovery settlement, the threat of cuts to services still looms large.
“This is the final piece of the puzzle that will really enable us to get on and deliver the Bee Network and this is the case I will make to government as we continue to work together to unlock Greater Manchester’s full potential.”
Government to slash prices of cinema tickets, bus travel, and LOADS more across UK for kids this summer
Emily Sergeant
Cinema tickets, trips to the theatre and the zoo, and children’s meals out are all set to be cheaper than ever this summer.
That’s because the Government has announced its newest initiative, Great British Summer Savings, which means that from 25 June through to 1 September 2026, a temporary reduced rate of VAT – down from 20% to 5% – will be introduced on children’s meals in restaurants and family leisure activities over the summer period.
Children’s meals served in restaurants, children’s and family tickets for the cinema, theatre, exhibitions, shows, and concerts, and admission tickets – for both children and adults – to a wide range of different attractions will be eligible for the discount.
Whether you want to visit an amusement park, fairs, circuses, museums, zoos, adventure parks, soft play centre, or something similar this summer, it just got a whole lot cheaper.
The Government is slashing the prices of cinema tickets, bus travel, and LOADS more across UK for kids this summer / Credit: Artem Kniaz (via Unsplash) | Supplied
This aim of this initiative is to make family days out more affordable, while also supporting businesses through increased footfall.
The Government says it will work with eligible businesses to get the scheme ‘up and running’.
And to make it even better, this is a UK-wide initiative, so no matter where you are in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, the reduced rate will apply.
Going one step further, there will also be free bus travel for children aged between five and 15 in England in August, helping to support families getting out and about this summer.
The Government says the Great British Summer Savings initiative supports the action it has already taken to reduce the cost of living – including cutting energy bills, freezing prescription charges, protecting motorists from fuel duty increases, and raising the minimum wage.
Businesses will be able to apply the 5% rate of VAT on eligible sales between 25 June and 1 September.
Featured Image – Chester Zoo
News
New record-breaking £8.72m ride opens at Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Emily Sergeant
The day has finally arrived… the UK’s tallest ride is now open to the public.
After first being announced back in May 2025, thrill-seekers have been hotly anticipating the arrival of Blackpool Pleasure Beach‘s newest ride, Aviktas, for the past year – and now, the time has come, as passengers have travelled from across the country to be among the first to experience the adrenaline-pumping spectacle.
Not for the faint of heart, Aviktas launches its riders 138 feet into the air while reaching angles of up to 120 degrees.
Now officially open at the iconic Lancashire seaside theme park, Aviktas has became the largest ride of its kind in the UK – almost doubling the size of the previous tallest, Maelstrom at Drayton Manor.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s newest £8.72m ride is now open / Credit: Supplied
The jaw-dropping new ride features a unique design that’s been engineered to ‘maximise thrills’.
According to its creators, Aviktas’ restraints create a sense of freedom leaving its riders feeling weightless as they soar towards its 138 foot peak.
Pleasure Beach has invested £8.72m into the attraction, marking it as its biggest single investment in eight years.
Aviktas is now the tallest rollercoaster of its kind in the UK / Credit: Supplied
“Pleasure Beach has always had a reputation for going big and pushing boundaries, and Aviktas is no exception,” commented Amanda Thompson OBE, who is the CEO of Pleasure Beach Resort.
“Its sheer size and presence speaks for itself, there is simply nothing like it in the UK. We wanted to build something that sets us apart from anywhere else and gives our guests a genuine must-visit reason to come to the park.