The loathed Avanti West Coast service has finally restored its timetable of trains between Manchester and London, four months after it temporarily slashed services and suspended ticket sales.
The troubled train line said that it was suffering with ‘severe staff shortages’ after many of its drivers refused to work overtime – something it had previously relied on to keep services running smoothly.
Passengers this week have been facing frequent cancellations and delays, sometimes mere minutes before scheduled departure times.
ADVERTISEMENT
Many will have expected disruption with the extremely cold weather and the ongoing strike action this week, but Avanti has been telling disgruntled passengers that the issue is staff shortages – again.
Those trying to travel to and from the capital have reported fellow passengers having to sit on the floor, multiple services in a row being cancelled, and huge delays to trains.
ADVERTISEMENT
Credit: Avanti West Coast
The unreliable service has been a sticking point for Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, who has been publicly demanding that Avanti has its contract stripped. He has said it’s ‘unbelievable how they treat people paying sky-high prices’.
And it appears the Government is keeping a close eye on the company now.
At Prime Minster’s Questions on Wednesday, Rishi Sunak said: “Our priority immediately is to support the restoration of services before then making any long-term decisions on the operation of the West Coast franchise, but we will be closely monitoring Avanti’s rollout of its recovery plan and holding them to account for delivering for passengers.”
ADVERTISEMENT
A spokesperson for Avanti told the Commons’ Transport Committee that they accept the company has ‘damaged trust in the travelling public’.
Richard Scott, director of corporate affairs at the West Coast Partnership (of which Avanti West Coast is part of) said: “The service we have provided over recent months has not been good enough.
“We apologise, I apologise unreservedly for that. We have been working extremely hard over the last few months to get a new timetable in place.
“I accept fully we have damaged trust in the travelling public over coming months and it will take time to get back. But the timetable, new rosters, new diagrams that are in place I believe will allow us to do that.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Since Avanti’s new timetable was introduced on 12 December,
Stockport Labour member Navendu Mishra said, with no small trace of irony: “I spoke in the West Coast Main Line debate today and called on the Government to strip @AvantiWestCoast of the franchise.
“Now at Euston station to travel home to Stockport. Of course the next 7 Avanti services from Euston to Stockport are either delayed or entirely cancelled.”
I spoke in the West Coast Main Line debate today and called on the Government to strip @AvantiWestCoast of the franchise.
Now at Euston station to travel home to Stockport. Of course the next 7 Avanti services from Euston to Stockport are either delayed or entirely cancelled.🤯
On the very first day of the new timetable, several people found themselves facing departures boards full of delays and cancellations.
One person said: “First weekday operation of the new rail timetable. As ever a complete disaster trying to travel on @AvantiWestCoast between London and Manchester… when will it be a pleasure and not a trauma to make this journey again?”
Several other people have publicly slammed their journeys with Avanti this week, with one person saying it’s time to ‘consign this wretched franchise to the dustbin of history’.
Ah. @AvantiWestCoast have just cancelled my train. And most trains to MCR. The old magic lingers a little longer…
When's your contract up @AvantiWestCoast literally a shocker of a service today 3 trains cancelled. Passengers sitting on the floor. Its time you give up your monopoly on the railway. @Mark_J_Harper
The @AvantiWestCoast shambles continues….train delayed waiting for crew, ah sod it we can’t bothered so let’s just cancel it…. Come on @AndyBurnhamGM – the time has come to consign this wretched franchise to the dustbin of history… cc @helenpidd 😎
Earlier this month, back when Avanti was running its reduced timetable, passengers said they were left ‘stranded’ when the last two trains to Manchester were cancelled.
In that instance, Avanti offered an ‘alternative travel option’, which was to get the train to Birmingham and then sit on a coach to Manchester – 88 miles away.
We haven't left people stranded Aaron, we have provided an alternative travel option for you. The last two are cancelled due to staff shortages. – Pete
Other people reported having to stand in the toilets because there was no room on board packed services after multiple services were cancelled.
Absolute scenes at Euston – sold out train cancelled, all crammed on another sold out train. I am literally standing in the toilet. Open first class for gods sake, @AvantiWestCoast are the worst of the worst. Shut the fuckers down! pic.twitter.com/hqeVVzmS3w
#AvantiWestCoast trains are a f’kn shambles. Loads of us stranded all day trying to get from Mcr Piccadilly to Euston & now from Euston to Piccadilly. Major delays, cancelled trains, rammed phone lines, extra money payed for taxis & buses & we pay full whack for this shit service pic.twitter.com/yZA0Pt7AMb
When announcing the new timetable, Barry Milsom, Executive Director of Operations and Safety at Avanti West Coast, said: “We know in recent months our customers have not been getting the service they deserve.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We are sorry for the enormous amount of frustration and inconvenience this has caused and are grateful for the patience our passengers have shown.
“Over the last few months, our sole focus has been to do everything we can to return to a more resilient operation which delivers more services for our customers and communities.
“This timetable is based on a robust and sustainable roster for our staff, achieved by working with our people and the unions. It provides a better working pattern for staff and our customers will benefit from more trains, greater connectivity and tickets on sale much earlier. Crucially, the new timetable is not dependent on overtime.”
Featured image: Avanti West Coast
News
Inside Cat Cafe Manchester, as a dozen fluffy felines pounce into their new palace
Emily Sergeant
Cat Cafe Manchester will soon be ready to open the doors to its new home in the city centre, and we’ve got a sneak peak for you.
Get ready to meet your 12 new best friends.
Barton Arcade was already one of Manchester‘s most stunning buildings as it is, but now a dozen new fluffy felines have moved in too, taking over the old Classic Football Shirts site on Deansgate with climbing frames, scratch posts, cat trees, squishy sofas, and plenty (emphasis on the plenty) of ledges that are perfect for perching on.
You may remember that Cat Cafe Manchester was a beloved venue in the Northern Quarter, opening all the way back in 2016 before sadly having to close in 2021 following unavoidable economic struggles brought about by the pandemic.
But now they’re back, and they’re cuter than ever… you can absolutely take our word for it.
Cat Cafe Manchester is getting ready to open at the end of this month / Credit: The Manc Group
After announcing in January 2025 that they would be making a grand return to the city, the Cat Cafe staff have been spending the past year making sure their new home is perfect (purrfect… if you will) ready for the cats to begin moving in – which they have been doing over this past week, gradually being introduced to each other in intervals to make sure they all get on.
From Maine Coons Ottie and Heathcliff, and fluffy sisters Yumi and Yoki, to Uno the adventurous Bengal, beautiful Gracie the Ragdoll, and Emerson the proud British Shorthair, it’s clear to see that all 12 residents have been making themselves at home ready for the official opening on Saturday 30 May.
“Our mission is to make animal assisted therapy accessible on the high street,” Cat Cafe says in a mission statement on its website.
“We aim to support urban communities by offering inclusive, calm and relaxing spaces in what can be a busy, crowded and over-stimulating world. The purpose of Cat Cafe is to help people feel better.”
The 12 fluffy felines have all started making themselves at home / Credit: The Manc Group
All the cats are still considered kittens at this point, and they will be ready for retiring and settling down once they turn five.
And of course, let’s not forget the ‘cafe’ part of the Cat Cafe too.
When you book your one-hour time slot from £14 per person, you’ll also get unlimited free hot and cold drinks included in your ticket price, and be able to order from a menu that includes everything from toasted teacakes and bacon sandwiches, to paninis, cakes, and ice creams – with options for a variety of dietary requirements.
As well as the general admission – which is open to children aged 10 and over – Cat Cafe Manchester will also be offering adult-only sessions, child-friendly hours for those between the ages of four and nine, and will even host book clubs, film nights, and craft nights too.
Dedicated subsidised hours for the SEN community and their carers are now open to book, so they have the opportunity to attend on a weekly basis, and birthday packages, celebration packages, afternoon tea, and private hire are also available.
Cat Cafe Manchester officially opens on Saturday 30 May, and you can find out everything you need to know and book your slot to visit online here.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Channel 4 takes all episodes of Married at First Sight UK off air after rape allegations
Emily Sergeant
Channel 4 has stripped all episodes of Married at First Sight UK from air following rape allegations from previous participants.
The broadcaster said ‘very serious allegations of wrongdoing’ have been made against a small number of past participants in the popular reality TV series, which sees single people – matched by experts – ‘marry’ strangers who they meet for the first time on their wedding day, leading to the show being fully taken off air.
It comes as the BBC and a Panorama special reported allegations from two women who alleged they were raped during filming of the show, and a third described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.
Each of the past participants all alleged that the show did not do enough to protect them.
Channel 4’s recently appointed CEO, Priya Dogra, confirmed that the broadcaster had instructed an external review of contributor welfare on Married at First Sight UK (MAFS UK) last month.
The broadcaster says it expects the review to report in the coming months, and will share a summary of findings and recommendations at the ‘appropriate time’.
Channel 4 takes all episodes of Married at First Sight UK off air after rape allegations / Credit: James West (via Flickr)
A formal statement issued by Channel 4 addressing the matter reads: “In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied.
“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
Explaining the decision to remove all episodes of the show from air and streaming services, the statement continued: “While the review is ongoing and until we receive any conclusions and recommendations, all previous seasons of MAFS UK have been removed from Channel 4 streaming and linear services at this time, alongside Channel 4’s MAFS UK social channels.”
Channel 4 says this move considers the ongoing duty of care to all contributors, the seriousness of the allegations levelled against a small number of past contributors, and is made ‘out of an abundance of caution to avoid fuelling speculation or jigsaw identification’.