Manc music legend and long-serving DJ Clint Boon has announced that he is stepping down from his role on XS Manchester and radio in general after nearly three decades on the airwaves.
Confirming the decision to bring an end to his self-titled radio show and 28-year career on Monday, 27 November, Boon informed his listeners live on air and issued a lengthy statement on social media shortly after, explaining his reasons behind the decision and his plans post-hosting.
Thanking the multiple radio stations he’s worked with — Century FM, 96.2 The Revolution, XFM Manchester, Radio X, BBC Radio Manchester and XS for the last seven years — as well as his countless listeners during that time, Booney said that radio has given him a “security and stability” like he hasn’t experienced in any other role.
Born in Oldham and now based in the Stockport area, he has remained one of the Manchester music scene’s most prominent figures for as long as most of us can remember and we’ll admit it’s going to be strange not hearing him on the dial anymore.
Clint Boon’s full statement after stepping down from XS Manchester.
The 64-year-old went on to say, “I’ve made some great friends during my time in radio. Too many to mention here. Not just people I’ve worked alongside but listeners too. Some of the greatest human beings I know.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I’ve also got to meet a lot of my heroes along the way. Plus, I’ve been able to help many new bands and artists get on that ladder which all of us musicians dream of getting to the top of. That bit has been particularly special”.
Insisting that being back playing with his Inspiral Carpets bandmates since their comeback earlier this year is now the biggest focus for him, the talented keyboardist and DJ veteran said the group will be carrying on touring and “maybe writing new material” in the New Year and beyond, as well as a number of other plans for the future.
ADVERTISEMENT
Most immediately, he said he’ll “spending more time with [his] wife, Charlie” and her beloved local event, Mrs Boon’s Tea Party, which takes place at various venues like Bask and more around Greater Manchester on a regular basis, as well as revealing that he is even working on a movie project entitled, Bickershaw — a village in the Abram part of Wigan.
Adding that he intends to get into podcasting and will carry DJing and hosting special events around the region when and where he feels like, he signed off by assuring that this was “100% my decision” and that the popular radio station is enjoying “all-time high” listening figures, insisting that he knows “it’ll carry on going from strength to strength”.
Thankfully, the former South nightclub resident didn’t rule out returning one day and we, for one, sincerely hope that we’ll get to hear that friendly and familiar voice through our car stereos again at some point in the future.
ADVERTISEMENT
You can watch our interview with the man himself back in May ahead of the Inspiral Carpets’ triumphant return and their incredible homecoming gig at Albert Hall down below.
Donny Osmond books biggest-ever Manchester gig
Danny Jones
Iconic American singer and actor Donny Osmond has announced his biggest-ever Manchester concert as part of his upcoming ‘VIVA UK’ tour dates.
Bringing his famous Las Vegas residency show to Great Britain, where he has always had a fervent following, the younger Osmond brother will be making a venue debut over six decades into his career.
Famously part of the musical family who not only sang together but also saw multiple TV shows created in their name – including his very own spin-off, Donny and Marie – he’s been around longer than most in showbiz, and he’s showing no signs of slowing down.
Confirming a whole new run of live dates across the country, Donny Osmond will be returning to Manchester early next year.
Writing on social media, the veteran entertainer said: “I’m so pleased to finally share the official 2027 UK tour dates with you.
“It always means so much to return to the UK – the audiences there have given me some of the most unforgettable moments of my career.”
As for here in our city, he last played Manchester back just a few short years ago at the AO Arena, selling out the 20,000-seater space on 29 November 2023.
Now, though, he’s upgrading to approximately 23k this time, with die-hard fans being encouraged to download his very own ‘Donny App’ to secure the earliest possible access.
Set to play Co-op Live for the very first time, we’d expect this one to sell equally well; you can see the rest of the shows listed so far down below.
Donny Osmond VIVA UK live tour dates 2027
We’ve highlighted all the Northern dates for you:
Wed, 20 Jan – Glasgow, OVO Hydro
Thurs, 21 Jan – Newcastle, Utilita Arena
Sat, 23 Jan – Liverpool, M&S Bank Arena
Sun, 24 Jan 24 – Manchester, Co-op Live
Tue, 26 Jan 26 – Hull, Connexin Live
Wed, 27 Jan 27 – Nottingham, Motorpoint Arena
Fri, 29 Jan 29 – Leeds, first direct arena
Sat, 30 Jan 30 – Birmingham, BP Pulse Live
Mon, 1 Feb – Cardiff, Utilita Arena
Wed, 3 Feb – Bournemouth BIC
Friday and Saturday, 5-6 February – London, Eventim Apollo
JUST ANNOUNCED: Donny Osmond Sunday 24 January 2027
Bringing the glamour, high-energy & excitement of his Las Vegas show. https://t.co/Y2sSdg01FV @coopuk members get first in line for tickets. Co-op Member Presale: 10:00 Wednesday 20 May General Sale: 10:00 Friday 22 May pic.twitter.com/i4v2ff7suA
Early access tickets for Donny Osmond’s VIVA UK tour will be available both via the app and the venue’s official Co-op membership, with the presale window opening at 10am on Wednesday, 20 May.
Meanwhile, general admission tickets will go live at the same time the following Friday (22 May), with VIP and hospitaity packages also on offer.
Noel Gallagher delivers update on Oasis Live ’25 reunion documentary
Danny Jones
In true Noel Gallagher fashion, the legendary Manchester musician has delivered an impromptu update on the upcoming Oasis reunion documentary in the middle of an off-the-cuff radio interview.
The elder Gallagher brother is no stranger to hopping on the airwaves, especially when it comes to sports and football, specifically, so plenty may have already been anticipating him giving his two cents following his much-loved Manchester City’s latest FA Cup win.
However, many definitely weren’t expecting him to casually throw in some new details about the highly anticipated Live ’25 tour documentary.
Swapping his semi-regular soapbox on talkSPORT for BBC Radio 5 Live‘s coverage this time, Noel revealed that neither he nor Liam Gallagher has yet to even seen the documentary movie.
NOEL GALLAGHER IS CURRENTLY MIXING THE SOUNDTRACK FOR THE NEW OASIS DOCUMENTARY- ADMITS HE'S NOT WATCHED IT YETpic.twitter.com/tdoODokj7k
— Oasis World Fan Page (@oasisworld_) May 18, 2026
Yes, believe it or not, the Manc brothers and all-around music icons, who reunited after 15 years to give us the Live ’25 world tour last summer, haven’t actually watched the edit for the latest Oasis film.
Noting that Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight and the rest of his co-directors and producers are still “tweaking” the final cut before showing it to the duo.
They are, famously, a rather opinionated pair, in fairness.
However, as you can hear straight from the horse’s mouth, it’s being described as “an emotional journey” primarily just from a fan perspective, noting that the focus is more on the people who kept this music and love for Oasis alive for all these years.
This short interview clip obviously comes after the news of a release date finally being announced, with details around the two different theatrical and digital launches now confirmed.
As Noel goes on to add, he has no worry about the audio side of things, as he is currently helping mix the live recordings of the tracks in the studio – nice to hear he is still having plenty of direct involvement.
Put simply, he says, “It’s all sounding great”, and he’s looking forward to watching it all back after the blur of experiencing it first-hand.
We’re sure Liam will only echo those sentiments; it remains unclear how much input he’s had in terms of post-production, but we’re sure he’ll have plenty of thoughts as always.
How many of you are planning to go and see it in cinemas, or are you happy waiting until it comes onto streaming platforms?