Chris Moyles has come out with arguably one of the worst takes we’ve heard in a long time after he said he doesn’t play new music because he believes “most unsigned musicians are crap”.
Oh dear, Chris…
Speaking on his self-titled morning show on Radio X last week, the former BBC Radio 1 DJ and industry veteran was trying to defend criticism that he doesn’t play enough new music.
Despite insisting that “that’s not what [his] show is about”, which may have been reason enough to stop the conversation there, Moyles decided to double down and share his opinion on the wider music scene.
Shocking from @ChrisMoyles . ‘Most unsigned bands are crap’. Don’t call yourself a DJ when you’re not interested in discovering new music. Outed yourself once again as a completely insipid half-wit. Video @thereyton69pic.twitter.com/SRqdZkBd0b
Responding to his listeners, he said: “the real reason is, and this will blow their tiny minds and they’ll hate this, the reason why we won’t play unsigned bands is because — and there are exceptions to the rule — but the main reason is that most unsigned bands are crap. I’m sorry, but that’s the truth.”
To absolutely no surprise whatsoever, the 48-year-old is being absolutely rinsed, with his claim being labelled everything from “shocking” and “ridiculous” to “an embarrassment”, not to mention several declaring him a “self-indulgent pr*ck” and insisting that he should “hang [his] head in shame”.
Moyles has always been somewhat of a divisive figure, even hinting at his Marmite-esque reputation whilst appearing on I’m A Celeb at the end of 2022, but most people seem to be in agreement on this one: it’s a pretty ignorant and callous take.
Artists and music lovers across social media have come out to rubbish the ill-thought-out judgement. Even station colleague John Kennedy had to make sure people knew these were solely the opinions of Moyles and not necessarily that of Radio X.
Chris Moyles claims most unsigned bands are crap. I’d say most signed music is generic and crap these days and they have the leverage to be put out there that unsigned bands don’t. Every band/artist starts out unsigned and has to graft to even be noticed. Don’t piss on their fire pic.twitter.com/S4JZfsIOss
The first, most obvious thing to state is that every band or solo act was once an unsigned musician and, as countless pointed out, without exposure from the likes of radio DJs some of the world’s greatest ever artists may have never come to be.
Scottish four-piece The Lutras were one of countless to state their disappointment, issuing the following statement on their Twitter:
“Very disappointing to hear. No wonder up-and-coming bands struggle to get any airplay at all when the people who are supposed to be scouting them are saying they’re mostly crap and complaining about it. Rotten attitude. Chris Moyles, sort it out or f*** off”
Beyond his knowledge and opinions on music, many have also come out to suggest that the Leeds-born disc jockey has said plenty more upsetting things than this in the past, highlighting numerous controversies that many may not be readily aware of. Warning: it makes for rather unpleasant reading.
He spoke publicly about having sex with Charlotte Church when she was barely 16. He called women dirty whores on air and had been obsessed with Nicola Roberts of Girls Aloud for years. pic.twitter.com/GVZjiBxXf8
— Malicia Dabrowicz (Vanadian Avenue) (@cocamidemea) February 20, 2023
Fuck Chris Moyles. unsigned artists tag yoselves and post your music below, big up eachother n check out ma tunes while you're at it, love 🤟🏾 Indie & DIY til I die ⚡
Fortunately, back here in Manchester, our music-loving city is still doing its best to spotlight up-and-coming talent as it should.
Mayor Andy Burnham recently handed out the inaugural ‘Artist of the Month’ award to The KTNA in January, crucially giving them that very same air-time on BBC Radio Manchester that Moyles seems so quick to overlook.
Furthermore, music legend Johnny Marr and The Salford Foundation Trust recently gave local lad John Denton and his band, The Height, a huge boost in their fledgling music career too.
Don’t look down on people trying to make it, be more like these legends.
Featured Image — Chris Moyles (via Instagram)/Radio X (via YouTube)
Audio
Honorary Manc Ariana Grande announces huge world tour – but skips Manchester
Daisy Jackson
Ariana Grande has announced details of a huge world tour, but the honorary Mancunian will be skipping Manchester again.
The 32-year-old, Grammy Award-winning star has instead booked five nights at The O2 in London for her only UK stop on the tour.
Ariana Grande was made an honorary Mancunian back in 2017, in recognition of her work following the Manchester Arena terror attack.
She is the first person to have ever received this honour.
Since the atrocity in the city, which took the lives of 22 people, Ariana has only performed here twice more – once at the One Love concert she organised as a fundraiser for the victims and their families, and once as a headliner of Manchester Pride.
It’s been six years since her last tour, but Ariana Grande is now back, sharing details of her hotly-anticipated The Eternal Sunshine Tour next summer.
As well as her five-night residency in London, she’ll play four nights in LA and Brooklyn, as well as cities right across North America.
Ariana Grande has announced The Eternal Sunshine Tour
Her London dates will be her only European shows on The Eternal Sunshine Tour.
Eternal Sunshine was released in 2024 and was her seventh studio album, spawning singles ‘Yes, And?’, ‘We Can’t Be Friends’, and ‘The Boy Is Mine’.
Ariana Grande is now also an Academy Award and Golden Globe-nominated actress thanks to her starring role in Wicked as Glinda the Good Witch.
Tickets for her tour will go on sale from Tuesday 16 September with an artist presale as well as an O2 Priority Presale. Remaining tickets will be available during the general ons-ale beginning Thursday 18 September at 10am.
Ariana Grande – The Eternal Sunshine Tour Dates 2026
A rising Manc musician is supporting a global popstar on tour in America
Danny Jones
Up-and-coming Greater Manchester musician Elliot James Reay, from just down the road in Bury, has just joined fellow rising solo artist and already established US superstar Benson Boone on his upcoming American tour.
Yes, a lad from Bury is opening for the bloke who belts out that ‘Beautiful Things’ tune that’s been stuck near the top of the charts for what feels like the last year.
Fittingly joining Boone for the US leg of his American Heart tour supporting his sophomore album of the same name, 23-year-old Elliot James Reay has already played a trio of shows warming up the crowds ahead of the headliner and is quickly gaining new fans across the pond.
Especially since his music harkens back to some of their most famous music icons of all time.
The youngster is still having to pinch himself at the mere notion of being on the road with such a big name so early in his career, posting on social media this week, “How do I explain this one to my friends back in Bury?
“A dream come true to be opening for Benson Boone in St Paul last night, I’m eternally grateful for the opportunity to sing to you all and thank you for all the love you gave me!”
Roy Orbison-obsessed Raey – who also takes plenty of look and feel from the likes of Elvis and Billy Fury, among other old school, soulful American singers – has gone from releasing covers on YouTube to dropping his first-ever EP back in June and now playing full Stateside stadiums.
What a whirlwind journey it’s been for the local lad already.
The Manc songwriter and guitarist featured as one of our artists of the month last December, and we’re glad to see he’s only gone from strength to strength.
It’s fair to say that he’s matured a lot in the time since then, let alone the last 12 months or so, and booking a slot as a support act for as big as Benson Boone is right now is nothing short of huge.
We said late last year, and we’ll say it again: we see a bright future ahead for this talented young Macunian, and we wish him all the best for the dozen or so remaining US tour dates.
If you haven’t listened to his stuff before, you can get a little taste with his latest single HERE.
Or, if you want to take our advice, why not watch a great music video filmed around some very familiar city centre sites down below?
He’s certainly got his own style, even if it his heavily inspired by some of the greats.