The Streets announce massive Manchester show and first album since 2011
Mike Skinner made the announcement this week.
The Streets are back with their first full-length album in more than a decade, Mike Skinner has announced, with a massive Manchester show to go with it.
English rapper Skinner launched the musical project and went on to release five studio albums, including their Mercury Prize-nominated debut Original Pirate Material.
The last time The Streets released a full-length album was in 2011, with Computers and Blues.
But all that’s about to change this autumn, with Skinner announcing new record The Darker The Shadow, The Brighter The Light, along with a feature film of the same name.
The Streets will also be heading out on a headline UK tour from 26 October, including a show at Manchester’s O2 Victoria Warehouse on 27 October.
In a statement, Mike Skinner of The Streets said: “It has been seven long years working on this film and album. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and after dipping my toe in with some shorts and music videos, I felt I was ready.
“I tried to go the traditional route for a bit, but it’s always served me better to follow my instincts and just get on with it myself, so I’ve directed it, acted in it, edited, sound mixed, funded, produced it all as well as written it. The album doesn’t exist without it.
“Ultimately it’s all the fruits of a decade on the DJ circuit, watching people in clubs and back rooms, testing out beats and basslines to see what connected – and putting it all together into The Darker The Shadow The Brighter The Light.”
The new album promises to be filled with Skinner’s trademark lyrical wizardry, with all songs written by him and featuring vocal collaborations from Kevin Mark Trail and Robert Harvey.
The accompanying film will be a tripped-out murder mystery based in London’s clubland, to be screened at Everyman Cinemas across the UK.
Those who pre-order The Streets new album will have access to the UK tour pre-sale.
The Darker The Shadow, The Brighter The Light is due for release on 20 October.
The Streets 2023 UK tour dates
- 26 Oct – Nottingham @ Rock City
- 27 Oct – Manchester @ O2 Victoria Warehouse
- 28 Oct – Sheffield @ O2 Academy
- 2 Nov – Glasgow @ O2 Academy
- 3 Nov – Newcastle @ O2 City Hall
- 4 Nov – Leeds @ O2 Academy
- 9 Nov – Liverpool @ The Mountford Hall
- 10 Nov – Birmingham @ O2 Academy
- 13 Nov – Norwich @ The Nick Rayns LCR
- 14 Nov – Bournemouth @ O2 Academy
- 16 Nov – London @ Alexandra Palace
- Corey Taylor announces solo UK and European tour with date at Manchester Academy
- ‘What kind of British is this?’ – Internet stunned at Zayn Malik’s Yorkshire accent in new interview
- Fans stunned as rock royalty Alice Cooper buys Johnny Depp a present in Afflecks
Featured image: Publicity picture, Ben Cannon