There was an all-star cast of musical talent roped in to last night’s Coronation Concert – but it was 13-year-old blind pianist Lucy Illingworth who provided the most touching moment of the show.
The young musician, who recently won Channel 4’s The Piano and won over the nation with her performance in the middle of Leeds train station, was part of the huge celebrations at the royal event at Windsor Castle.
Also on the billing was Katy Perry, Take That, and Lionel Richie, all singing in front of the newly-crowned King Charles III and Queen Camilla, plus an audience of 10.1 million watching on the BBC from home.
William, the Prince of Wales, also took to the stage to pay tribute to his father and his late grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II.
For many of us though, Lucy’s stunning piano rendition of Bach’s Prelude in C was a clear highlight of the Coronation Concert.
Someone else said we need to see more diversity like this in performances, saying: “Don’t mind admitting I’m in absolute tears. Bog off Olly Murders and Gary Barlow. I want more sign language choirs, and more Lucy, to define the Carolean Era.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Another person echoed that, writing: “Can’t get over Lucy’s talent. Favourite part of the #coronationconcert so far plus the massed voices of the Coronation Choir and Higher Love including the virtual commonwealth choirs. Not interested in the celebrities!!”
Charity The Amber Trust wrote: “We are incredibly proud of Lucy and everything she has achieved!
“Lucy is a phenomenal musician and we are thrilled that she has had this opportunity to share her talent with the nation. Well done Lucy!”
We are incredibly proud of Lucy and everything she has achieved! You can learn more about her and how she learns a new piece by watching her story.
Lucy first shot to fame on Channel 4’s The Piano, where she delivered a spellbinding performance of Debussy’s Arabesque No.1 in the final.
Judge and pop star Mika spoke about her winning performance, “It was about just highlighting if something extraordinary was to happen. Something that no-one could forget… and that happened.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Fellow judge and pianist Lang Lang, who was captivated by Lucy described the young pianist as a ‘real genius’.
In a heartfelt twist which further underlined how different the programme was to other reality TV shows, all contestants were gifted a piano to take home.
Beloved Greater Manchester-born presenter Judith Chalmers has died at 90
Danny Jones
Well-known Greater Manchester native and beloved British TV presenter Judith Chalmers has sadly died at 90 years old.
The former Wish You Were Here…? host was known not only for the once smash-hit travel programme, which ran for the best part of three decades, but she also enjoyed a spot on BBC Radio 2, along with the Strictly forerunner, Come Dancing, among many other guest appearances over the decades.
Judith Rosemary Locke Chalmers OBE, to use her full title, was born in Stockport back in 1935 and is said to have passed away peacefully at home on Thursday evening, 21 May.
The tributes to the broadcasting legend are continuing to pour in online.
A familiar Northern face, Chalmers presented the primetime show from its inception in 1974 until 2003, and was made an OBE for her services to broadcasting in 1994.
The proud Gatley girl enjoyed a long and successful stint on screen before having to step away from her various duties in her later years due to declining health.
She leaves behind her husband, Neil Durden-Smith – himself a former sports commentator – along with two children, including Mark Durden-Smith, who has also gone on to a career in presenting
Unfortunately, Chalmers was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago, meaning she gradually withdrew from the public eye even further; those around her have done plenty of important fundraising for the cause ever since.
Stopfordians have also been honouring the local lass’ legacy and much-admired reputation.
I met legendary broadcaster Judith Chalmers, who has died aged 90, when as a boy I won a competition to be VIP guest at a celebrity cricket match played at @StockportCounty Judith, who hosted the event, was happy to be home as she was raised in Gatley #SCFC#StockportCountypic.twitter.com/58pcm39y3V
In a statement issued to ITV (once her long-time employers), her family said: “After living an extraordinary life that involved over 60 years in broadcasting and countless adventures all over the globe, Judy sadly passed away last night, surrounded by the family she loved so much after suffering with Alzheimer’s for some years.
“We will miss her greatly, but she leaves behind a giant suitcase of the happiest of memories.”
Our thoughts are with her family, friends and long-established fan base up and down the country at this difficult time.
Rest in peace.
Featured Images — Thames TV/ITV (archive images)
TV & Showbiz
A special UK exclusive screening of the new Star Wars movie is taking place here in Manchester
Danny Jones
Calling all die-hard Star Wars fans across the galaxy (or at least here in Britain, anyway), a special screening of the franchise’s newest film, The Mandalorian and Grogu, is coming exclusively to a Manchester cinema.
Even better still, it’s the only place in the UK that will be showing it. So damn cool.
The new spin-off set to land in theatres this month is the latest addition to the Star Wars cinematic universe and expands the hit Mandalorian TV series.
Most exciting regarding its domestic release here in the likes of Manchester, the VUE cinema in the Printworks is the only place putting on the IMAX version of the new movie.
Made specifically for IMAX, this is the first Star Wars film shot for and using fully IMAX-certified digital cameras and designed specifically for the experience.
The Mandalorian and Grogu – which is set to drop later this week – features 53 minutes presented in Printworks Manchester’s towering IMAX 1.43:1 aspect ratio.
Aimed to maximise screen size, deliver the most high-end visuals as possible, and further help with overall immersion, there really is nothing quite like it.
If you’ve ever seen a film in IMAX, you’ll know just how much extra enjoyment it brings.
With the Printworks branch selected as the UK’s exclusive destination for the film’s expanded 1.43:1 IMAX presentation, Greater Manchester are in for an absolute treat.
You can see the most recent trailer down below.
Let’s just say it’s received ‘mixed’ reviews, so far…
To celebrate launch day even further, VUE Printworks will also be hosting a limited one-off early morning screening at 6am, giving the most dedicated fans a chance to be among the first audiences in the country to see Din Djarin and Grogu make their big screen debut.
If anything, the seemingly divisive early reactions to the full feature film expansion of the ‘Mando’ lore have kind of made us want to watch it even more.
As always with these things, we’d encourage you to go along and make your own mind up, but we’ll be honest: our heavy Star Wars obsession will most likely make us biased to love this almost unconditionally. Tickets are live now right HERE.
Will you be going to see it?
Just over 2 hours, The Mandalorian and Grogu film hits streaming later this year. (Credit: The Manc)