One of Manchester’s most premium fitness facilities appears to have closed down, leaving members and instructors in the dark.
A forfeiture notice has appeared at the entrance of Blok, a boutique gym and pilates studio in the city centre.
Members have been arriving for classes this week to find the luxury facility at Ducie Street Warehouse closed up.
Native Places, which owns the beautifully restored mill building near Manchester Piccadilly and operates the upper floors as an aparthotel, has confirmed that it’s taken ‘formal possession of the ground floor gym’.
Blok has said they believe that the forfeiture of their lease by landlords is ‘illegal’ and that the team are ‘working to get this resolved as a matter of urgency’.
ADVERTISEMENT
The gym also stressed the Manchester is a ‘profitable site, which we have collectively worked hard to grow into a thriving, healthy business’.
With three different studios, Blok opened in Manchester in 2019 offering classes ranging from dumbbell-based weight training to barre and pilates, as well as boxing, calisthenics and HIIT workouts.
ADVERTISEMENT
Last year, the gym introduced reformer pilates to its premium offering.
And just last week, Blok had been running a Crowdcube campaign selling shares in the business in exchange for exclusive investor rewards.
Blok Manchester is inside Ducie Street Warehouse, owned by Native Places
Their investment campaign cited 175% growth in membership over the last 12 months, and promised four new flagship sites forecast to generate £1.5m in profit annually.
ADVERTISEMENT
Alas, it appears Blok Manchester is now closed. Members have been leaving comments on their Instagram posts asking for updates, and several people are posting TikToks saying they were unable to attend their class.
One person wrote: “Hello I’ve lost my personality as Blok is closed *cry*.”
She added: “You can still book but it’s all locked up, no one can enter the premises … I got one email that they’re having ‘trouble accessing the building’, confused why they’re still allowing people to book??”
Hello I’ve lost my personality as Blok is closed *cry* Good Pilates/Mat/Barre/ reformer studios in Manchester. Also please no say a place that costs the same as my kidney, because that’s not cool 🙂 #BLOK#manchesterpilates#MCR#FYP
A statement from Native Places said: “Native Places has taken formal possession of the ground floor gym following the sustained non-payment of rent by the tenant.
“This action marks the end of a six-year relationship during which Native has consistently supported the tenant in their occupation of the space.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Unfortunately, due to continued non-payment, we have had no option but to follow the appropriate legal process. The premises have now been secured, and access is restricted.”
In a statement provided to The Manc, Ed Stanbury, CEO and Founder of Blok, said: “The closure of BLOK Manchester is due to the forfeiture of our lease by our landlords, an action that we believe to be illegal. We are working with our lawyers to get this resolved as a matter of urgency.
“Whilst there has been speculation around financial pressures that may have led to this situation, we want to be clear: BLOK Manchester is a profitable site, which we have collectively worked hard to grow into a thriving, healthy business.
“We’re incredibly proud of the team and community we’ve created in Manchester, and our focus right now is on supporting them as we navigate this.”
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”
Featured Image – Manchester City Council
News
Inside Cat Cafe Manchester, as a dozen fluffy felines pounce into their new palace
Emily Sergeant
Cat Cafe Manchester will soon be ready to open the doors to its new home in the city centre, and we’ve got a sneak peak for you.
Get ready to meet your 12 new best friends.
Barton Arcade was already one of Manchester‘s most stunning buildings as it is, but now a dozen new fluffy felines have moved in too, taking over the old Classic Football Shirts site on Deansgate with climbing frames, scratch posts, cat trees, squishy sofas, and plenty (emphasis on the plenty) of ledges that are perfect for perching on.
You may remember that Cat Cafe Manchester was a beloved venue in the Northern Quarter, opening all the way back in 2016 before sadly having to close in 2021 following unavoidable economic struggles brought about by the pandemic.
But now they’re back, and they’re cuter than ever… you can absolutely take our word for it.
Cat Cafe Manchester is getting ready to open at the end of this month / Credit: The Manc Group
After announcing in January 2025 that they would be making a grand return to the city, the Cat Cafe staff have been spending the past year making sure their new home is perfect (purrfect… if you will) ready for the cats to begin moving in – which they have been doing over this past week, gradually being introduced to each other in intervals to make sure they all get on.
From Maine Coons Ottie and Heathcliff, and fluffy sisters Yumi and Yoki, to Uno the adventurous Bengal, beautiful Gracie the Ragdoll, and Emerson the proud British Shorthair, it’s clear to see that all 12 residents have been making themselves at home ready for the official opening on Saturday 30 May.
“Our mission is to make animal assisted therapy accessible on the high street,” Cat Cafe says in a mission statement on its website.
“We aim to support urban communities by offering inclusive, calm and relaxing spaces in what can be a busy, crowded and over-stimulating world. The purpose of Cat Cafe is to help people feel better.”
The 12 fluffy felines have all started making themselves at home / Credit: The Manc Group
All the cats are still considered kittens at this point, and they will be ready for retiring and settling down once they turn five.
And of course, let’s not forget the ‘cafe’ part of the Cat Cafe too.
When you book your one-hour time slot from £14 per person, you’ll also get unlimited free hot and cold drinks included in your ticket price, and be able to order from a menu that includes everything from toasted teacakes and bacon sandwiches, to paninis, cakes, and ice creams – with options for a variety of dietary requirements.
As well as the general admission – which is open to children aged 10 and over – Cat Cafe Manchester will also be offering adult-only sessions, child-friendly hours for those between the ages of four and nine, and will even host book clubs, film nights, and craft nights too.
Dedicated subsidised hours for the SEN community and their carers are now open to book, so they have the opportunity to attend on a weekly basis, and birthday packages, celebration packages, afternoon tea, and private hire are also available.
Cat Cafe Manchester officially opens on Saturday 30 May, and you can find out everything you need to know and book your slot to visit online here.