The student who was stabbed to death in Fallowfield has been named as Luke O’Connor, as his family pay tribute to their ‘one of a kind’ relative.
Luke, 19, was stabbed on Wilmslow Road in Fallowfield at around 2am on Wednesday 26 October.
Despite the best efforts of emergency services, who performed CPR at the scene, he died of his injuries in hospital.
In a heartbreaking tribute, his family described him as a ‘gentle giant with big hopes and dreams for the future’.
They added that he loved football, music, and his student life in Manchester.
ADVERTISEMENT
Wilmslow Road, where the stabbing took place. Credit: Google Maps
His family also said that he ‘had a profound impact on so many people throughout his life’ and was ‘truly one of a kind’.
Luke was a student at Manchester Metropolitan University, which said in a statement earlier today that his death was a ‘terrible shock to our whole community’.
ADVERTISEMENT
Students who have been affected by Luke’s murder are being offered counselling and special support.
The full tribute from Luke’s family says: “Our hearts yearn for the loss of Luke; we are truly devastated by this tragedy. Luke was loved by so many people, and he knew how much he was loved in return.
“He was a second year Business Management student at university. He loved the freedom of student living and studying and was loving life in Manchester.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Luke was the youngest of three boys in our family and was a gentle giant with big hopes and dreams for the future.
“His biggest dream was to travel the world, but now Luke will never be able to fulfil that dream.
“Luke loved music, football and was a big supporter of Liverpool Football Club, who he followed religiously from a young age.
“He had a profound impact on so many people throughout his life. He was truly one of a kind, who’s presence would light up any room.
“Luke’s friends also adored him, as he adored them. They often called Luke a ‘Legend’ and ‘the life and soul’ of everything he did. Everyone who met him, truly loved him.
“Our lively, bubbly, beautiful boy has been taken from us and our family are now left with a hole in our hearts that will never be filled.
“Justice needs to be served as we have lost our beautiful young Luke, who was robbed of life.
“We will continue to honour his name for as long as we are all here, and his legacy with go on forever.”
Luke’s family have asked for privacy while they grieve for their loss.
Anyone with information should contact GMP by calling 101 quoting Log 240 of 26/10/22. Alternatively, you can report information via www.gmp.police.uk.
ADVERTISEMENT
Information can also be shared anonymously via the independent charity – Crimestoppers – on 0800 555 111.
Featured image: GMP
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”