The first images of the brand new £250m waterside garden neighbourhood ‘KAMPUS’ have been published.
A joint project by Capital & Centric and HBD, the city centre development boasts over 500 fresh apartments – including 1 and 2-beds built with high ceilings, panoramic views across the city and huge suntrap terraces.
Described as a “bold new addition to Manchester’s skyline”, the KAMPUS North Block has been built with distinctive pixel windows, Lancashire red brick and exposed concrete features.
Interior design work has been crafted by the award-winning YOUTH Studio.
Sat alongside two beautiful Victorian shipping warehouses and a 1960s brutalist tower, the KAMPUS complex is set to become a new home for the city’s creatives and independents – featuring two floors of independent bars, restaurants and shops.
ADVERTISEMENT
A canal-side garden full of trees, plants and flowers sits at its centre.
Residents can access a gym, yoga terrace, private cinema and dining room on site.
ADVERTISEMENT
KAMPUS also occupies land once owned by the famous ‘Spanking Roger Aytoun‘ – who remains one of Manchester’s most peculiar cult characters from history.
Adam Brady, Executive Director at HBD, said that “each building at KAMPUS has its own distinct character”.
“Whether you fancy living in a rooftop village with unbeatable views across the city or an exposed brick loft is more your thing, we’ve got something for everyone,” he explained.
ADVERTISEMENT
“There’ll be loads of places for you to meet your neighbours. As KAMPUS grows you’ll find independent shops, bars and eateries by the lush garden.
“You can catch a film in the rooftop cinema, host a dinner party or have drinks in the lounge or join in a yoga class on the terrace. We’ve even got the Bungalow – an ex-security cabin on stilts overlooking the canal which is our village hall.”
Liam McGroarty, co-Founder at YOUTH, said his company designed KAMPUS interiors to “make them to feel like home”.
“The design is understated with simple details,” he explained.
“Wall colours that add warm tones, floor colours that don’t dictate what you do with the space, furniture made from natural materials. It’s not a white box, but neither is it too much.
ADVERTISEMENT
“You bring your own style.”
KAMPUS apartments are described as having ‘no deposit or hidden fees’.
The complex is pet-friendly with a 24-hour on-site team and superfast broadband access.
Tenancies are available from 12 months to 3 years.
Prices begin at £1,125 for a 1-bed apartment and £1,605 for a 2-bed.
Apartments in North Block are available to view from April. To book a viewing visit the Kampus website.
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.