Victim identified in Kersal murder investigation as more remains are found in Salford

Two men are currently under arrest on suspicion of murder.

Danny Jones Danny Jones - 29th April 2024

Police have ‘confidently’ confirmed the identity of a man murdered in Salford after more remains were found as part of the investigation into a male torso discovered in a nearby nature reserve, with other body parts since located at another two nearby spots.

The victim, now believed to be a man in his 60s, was initially discovered in Kersal Wetlands after a passerby stumbled across the remains on 4 April, with police setting up a forensic tent and a large cordon around the area.

Having swept the surroundings and acted on further intelligence, more human remains were also found at Blackleach Reservoir in Walkden and a local dog walker also found a package containing body parts at Linnyshaw Colliery Woods on Saturday evening (27 April).

It is thought that the identity of the latest body parts should be fully confirmed this week following further forensic tests but the authorities have now contacted the victim’s next of kin.

The as-yet-unknown man is said to have died a number of days before his torso was discovered at the start of the month and multiple individuals have been arrested in connection to the case over the last few weeks.


A 20-year-old man from the local area was brought in for questioning just four days after the initial discovery, along with a 42-year-old who was detained after he boarded a bus earlier last week and a 68-year-old who was arrested at a property in Winton.

Searches were also carried out at a Warehouse in Bury with household items being found there. Greater Manchester Police say they still have two people, both thought to be known to the victim, in custody.


Detective Superintendent Lewis Hughes, Senior Investigating Officer for the case, issued a full statement to the media this weekend, insisting that GMP are “very confident that this is also the victim in our investigation.

Read more:

He also went on to reveal that authorities are also searching the house in Winton as it is thought to be “where we believe the victim and the two suspects lived”, with evidence also indicating that he is likely to have died there sometime in late March.

DSI Hughes went on to add: “While this is significant progress, we know there is still some way to go to complete this investigation.


“I also recognise details of this case will have been distressing for the people of Salford and beyond – including the officers that are diligently working on this investigation, and most importantly the man’s heartbroken family.

“Local officers will continue to patrol the affected areas, and we will provide updates when we have more information.”

Featured Images — GMP/David Dixon