Man jailed for life for the murder of 22-year-old Badri Issa in Moss Side

"He paid the ultimate price for trying to de-escalate a situation."

Emily Sergeant Emily Sergeant - 10th June 2024

A man has been sentenced to life behind bars for the murder of 22-year-old Badri Issa in Moss Side last year.

22-year-old Raami Mohamed, from Manchester, was found guilty of murder following a two week trial at Manchester Crown Court, and was subsequently sentenced to to life with a minimum term of 18 years last Friday (7 June 2024).

Another man, who has been named as Kevell Blake, was also found guilty of manslaughter, and is to be sentenced at a later date.

It sentencing comes after Badri Issa met up with his friend to go to their regular gym class on Wednesday 25 October 2023, and as they travelled along Princess Road towards Manchester city centre, they noticed a white car driving next to them and trying to get their attention.

Raami Mohamed – who was driving the white vehicle – gestured for Badri’s friend, Omar Jeylaani, to pull over, and both cars turned onto Moss Lane East and parked in the bus layby.

Badri Issa, pictured on the day of his graduation / Credit: GMP (via Family Handout)

According to Greater Manchester Police (GMP) Badri’s friend got out of the car, but was confronted by Mohamed, who appeared agitated and aggressive, and so Badri got out of the car to try and de-escalate the situation, but was stabbed in the process, and as he collapsed, the men then continued a violent assault on Badri’s friend.

The horrific events all played out in broad daylight, GMP revealed – with a number of passers-by and commuters attempting to intervene.


Once emergency services attended the scene, Badri was taken to hospital for further treatment, but sadly, despite the best efforts of everyone involved, he later died as a result of his injuries.

Following Badri’s passing, GMP’s Major Incident Team launched an investigation.

After hours of looking through CCTV enquiries, police were able to build a picture of the suspect’s movements in the days and hours before the attack.


The car that Mohamed and Blake were in was soon located in a car park on Arrow Street in Manchester, and was recovered for the forensic examination, where the blood of the victim was detected near the gear stick.

A warrant was executed at Mohamed’s last known address, but despite him not being present, police seized evidence linking him to the white car, and leading to him being arrested on Heaton Street in Prestwich later that evening, all before another warrant was executed at the home address of Kevell Blake where police seized crucial items of clothing which were consistent with what was worn in the hours after the attack.

Telecommunications data revealed “extensive contact between the pair in the lead up to the attack”, according to GMP.

“Badri Issa was so young when he lost his life in the most tragic way,” commented Detective Chief Inspector Andy Naismith, from GMP’s Major Incident Team, following Mohamed’s sentencing last week.

“Having just graduated from university, he was on the cusp of starting a new life, a new career, and reaching new milestones, but he paid the ultimate price for trying to de-escalate a situation. 


Read more:

“Since day one, Badri has been at the heart of our investigation, and we have had teams of officers working around the clock to find answers for his family. I know that no outcome will ever lessen the pain his family feel, but I hope that today’s sentencing goes some way to giving his loved ones some comfort knowing that his killers are behind bars.”

Featured Image – GMP