A man who attempted to murder a stranger in broad daylight in Davyhulme has been sentenced to life behind bars.
Michael Canning has been sentenced to a minimum of 20 years imprisonment.
The 23-year-old was previously found guilty by jury on Friday 1 December 2023, and subsequently appeared at Manchester Crown Street Court yesterday (Tuesday 23 January 2024), where he was sentenced for attacking and attempting to murder someone he didn’t know during broad daylight one day last June.
The distressing incident was said to have taken place at around 5:09pm on 19 June 2023, according to Greater Manchester Police (GMP), and saw Canning attack the male victim with a knife.
The victim, who was a complete stranger to Canning, and was said to have simply been on his way home from work at the time of the incident, ended up sustaining more than 30 wounds during the attack.
ADVERTISEMENT
Police say Canning fled the scene shortly after carrying out the attack, and left it to passers-by to call an ambulance for the victim – who was then taken to hospital for treatment.
A man who attempted to murder a stranger in broad daylight in Davyhulme has been jailed for life / Credit: GMP
An extensive police investigation followed the attack, which GMP says included “meticulous” reviews of doorbell and private CCTV footage provided by members of the public that eventually led to identifying Canning as a suspect.
ADVERTISEMENT
Canning was arrested and charged for the attack within just days of the offence taking place.
Detective Superintendent Phill Xavier, of GMP’s Trafford District, described Canning’s actions as “ferocious”.
Following the sentencing this week, DS Xavier commented: “This was a ferocious attack on an innocent man who was simply walking home from work – a journey no longer than 15 minutes, and something he would do every day.
ADVERTISEMENT
“After being arrested, Canning denied having anything to do with the attack.
“At court, he claimed he did not tell the truth in his police interview, as he had not accepted what he had done, and he claimed he committed the attack because he wanted to be arrested for something. But he went out that day with a face covering, and used a convoluted route back to his home address to evade detection, so I’m pleased the jury paid attention to all the evidence and have rightly found this violent offender guilty.
“Our investigators worked hard to bring Canning to justice, and I hope today’s sentence goes some way to providing some solace to the victim and their family.”
Featured Image – GMP
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image – Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
Tameside police appeal for witnesses after two men were stabbed and doused in chilli oil
Emily Sergeant
Police are appealing for information regarding ‘multiple incidents’ that were reported in Ashton-under-Lyne town centre earlier this week.
These incidents – which took place on Tuesday evening (18 August) – included reports of assaults involving a non-toxic liquid substances, now found to have been chilli oil, and reported stabbings – with several locations examined by detectives and forensic specialists, and scenes now in place on Stamford Street, Warrington Street, and Wood Street while investigations continue.
Two men, aged 44 and 50, were taken to hospital with injuries consistent with stab wounds, but thankfully, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that their injuries are not deemed life-threatening.
A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault (grievous bodily harm) and both remain in custody for questioning.
Police believe that the incidents are linked and they are not looking for anyone else in connection.
They are, however, keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or has relevant CCTV, dashcam, or mobile phone footage that could assist with ongoing investigations.
Can you help? Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact police on 101 or via LiveChat, quoting log 3984 of 18/08/26.