Manchester Airport has officially appointed a new managing director after the previous boss stepped down from the role.
After what has been scenes of chaos for travellers over the last few months, with long delays, unplanned flight cancellations, and queues so long many were required to turn up three hours in advance and even then still miss their flights in the most unfortunate cases, the UK’s third largest airport has now confirmed that a boss has taken over.
Chris Woodroofe has been appointed managing director of Manchester Airport.
His appointment comes after former MD Karen Smart stepped down from the role amid travel chaos back in early April 2022, and she said she would be leaving her position to return to the south of England and “pursue fresh career opportunities”.
The CEO of Manchester Airport Group (MAG) said that Karen guided the Airport through “the most challenging period of its 84-year history”, and said she made “a major contribution” to MAG throughout her time with the business.
An interim MD was appointed following Karen stepping down from the role, but it’s now been announced that the position has been filled full time.
Chris Woodroofe was previously the chief operating officer at London Gatwick Airport from 2016-2020, where he most-notably oversaw “a major programme of operational improvements” at the Airport.
He held a number of senior roles there prior to that, including in customer service, security, and engineering.
Chris – who is originally from Widnes – will start in his new role on 15 June, and will be supported by former interim MD Ian Costigan, who will continue to oversee the airport’s operational functions.
Speaking ahead of stepping into the new role, Chris Woodroofe said: “I look forward to working with the team to lead its recovery and drive the airport forward as the North’s global gateway [as] with the airport’s new Terminal 2 facilities and huge opportunities to attract new routes that enhance the North’s international connectivity, this really is an exciting time to be joining Manchester Airport.
“Having taken my first ever flight from Manchester Airport as a child, I am looking forward to relocating back to the region and can’t wait to get started.”
In an open letter to passengers following Ms Smart’s departure back in April, MAG chief executive Charlie Cornish said he “cannot apologise enough for the disruption people have faced” and insisted the Airport would be “back where we need to be soon”.
Police seize 17 dogs after 6-year-old girl is injured during attack in Carrington
17 dogs have now been seized by police after a six-year-old girl was injured during at attack in Carrington this past weekend.
Shortly before 2:40pm on Sunday 26 March, officers from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called to an address on Ackers Lane in Carrington in Trafford after receiving reports that a child had “suffered injuries caused by dogs”.
The child, a six-year-old girl, was taken to hospital shortly after police arrived at the scene, and remains there “in a stable condition”.
GMP first confirmed that four adult dogs and nine puppies were seized by officers on Sunday, and were taken away by specialist partners.
Four more dogs were then seized yesterday, bringing the total to 17.
With investigations ongoing, GMP has confirmed that a “vehicle of interest” has been recovered and searched, as well as three people having been arrested on suspicion of owning a dangerous dog – but they have each since been released on bail.
Enquires are still continuing to locate individuals the force believes “have responsibility for the dogs”.
Detective Inspector Matthew Dixon, of GMP’s Trafford district, called it “a fluid investigation”, and added that: “So far we have recovered 17 dogs and made three arrests, as well as a vehicle of interest – however, the investigation is very much ongoing.”
Greater Manchester Police says it has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) over the incident.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact police quoting log 1612-26/03/23.
Featured Image – Google Maps
Manchester United reject offers for Mason Greenwood as rep says he ‘should be allowed to move forward with his young life’
Manchester United have reportedly rejected a number of offers for Mason Greenwood as the club continues their internal investigation into his behaviour.
The club have reportedly received a number of offers for the young forward from Turkish teams in recent weeks and months while Greenwood has been suspended from playing or training. He has yet to return to the sport after charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm were dropped.
The charges handed down in January 2022 were ultimately dropped last month when key witnesses withdrew, more than a year on from the incident that was widely circulated on social media.
Now, following a behind-the-scenes feature by The Athletic and ‘new material’ leading the Crown Prosecution Service to drop the case for the foreseeable, it seems United are now the only party still investigating Greenwood, with his own team and figures around the club pushing for a resolution.
Speaking to Laurie Whitwell as part of the piece, one of Greenwood’s representatives argued that there is “no real substance” to the allegations, them “a mix of old news, speculation, half-truths and completely untrue claims.”
He went on to say, “Mason is 21, he has been cleared and should be allowed the opportunity to rebuild and move forward with his young life.”
Another source is also said to have told the outlet that the youngster has been fundamentally changed by the experience, insisting that he “would run through a brick wall” to be back playing at United.
As for the club’s stance, it remains to be seen what their final decision on his future will be, but it was reported earlier this month that a potential return is still “firmly under consideration” and his number 11 shirt has not yet been vacated as many would have expected if he was set to move on.
On the other hand, the article goes on to detail questions surrounding Greenwood’s conduct and general attitude during his relatively short time as a senior player too, the suggestion being that he was slacking in training because “he knew he was a good player”.
His attendance at Carrington is said to have been raised as an issue on more than one occasion and then-manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær often covered for training sessions and games he missed after failing to turn up to the team hotel for “unexplained absences”.
Another source who watched him play aged just 16 also went on to reveal that Bradford-born academy product “wasn’t shy about telling someone they were s***”, apparently even calling out Cristiano Ronaldo as “dead [finished]” when he was still at Real Madrid.
Greenwood played over 100 senior games for United and was widely considered one of the brightest young prospects in England, let alone the club, but the career trajectory he looked to be on is widely different from the problematic position he finds himself in now, regardless of any offers from abroad.