Netflix has announced that it is to start trialling charging users for sharing accounts with people outside their household.
It seems like the days of sharing Netflix passwords could soon be over.
The streaming service revealed yesterday that it’s launching a trial in which primary account holders will need to pay for users who are outside of their household, and it will mean that, on top of the monthly subscription fee, there will be an additional charge for the use of accounts by people who don’t live together.
Starting in the next few weeks, the scheme will be trailed in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru, and features will include ‘add an extra member’, where account holders can ‘sub’ up to two people outside of their households.
Another one of the new features is ‘Transfer Profile to a New Account’, which aims to encourage those sharing someone else’s login to set up their own account, while still staying in control of specific info such as My List, viewing history, and personalised recommendation.
It’s unclear at this point whether these features will be rolled-out to other countries.
Explaining a little more about the trial, Chengyi Long – Director of Product Innovation at Netflix – says the streaming service has “always made it easy for people who live together to share their Netflix account” by allowing people to create separate profiles on a single subscription.
But now, accounts being shared between households are said to be “impacting [Netflix’s] ability to invest in great new TV and films for members.”
The end of Netflix password sharing looks to be another shift in the company’s strategy that suggests it is looking toward its existing customers, rather than new subscribers, in order to help grow revenue, and it comes after it announced earlier this month that subscription prices for all new and existing members in the UK and Ireland are rising.
In the wake of continuous rising inflation post-pandemic, the leading streaming service has confirmed that the basic and standard plans in the UK will both increase by £1 a month to £6.99 and £10.99 respectively, while the premium tier will go up by £2 to £15.99.
Existing subscribers will be notified by email 30 days before the change comes into effect, depending on their specific billing cycle.
The increase is immediate for new members.
Featured Image – Netflix
Yellow weather warning could bring ‘winds of up to 80mph’ and heavy rain to North West
Autumn is well and truly underway as colder temperatures have already started to descend on the UK. Now, though, high winds and heavy rain are expected to hit various regions across the nation.
The Met Office announced a yellow weather warning on Monday afternoon, predicting that strong gusts of winds exceeding 55mph are set to affect northern and western parts of the UK on Wednesday.
Meteorologist Alex Deakin said Brits should prepare for a “blusterous and boisterous” week ahead.
A yellow weather warning can encompass everything from injuries and danger to life caused by flying debris, to structural damage, disruption to travel and public transport, as well power cuts and more.
‘Persistent rain and stronger winds’ are already said to be battering parts of Northern Ireland and Scotland, before beginning to sink into more central areas of the UK from Tuesday onwards.
With rainfall expected to measure in at between 30-50mm across western Scotland – as much as 80mm across some mountainous areas – the low pressure is due to hit the northern and western parts of England on Tuesday night.
Experts have warned that while they are yet to nail down the exact details of peak wind strengths, they could easily surpass 55-65mph.
“There is a chance the deep low pressure system will bring gusts of 70 to 80 mph to northern parts of the UK on Wednesday”, says Sherwin, warning that “should this develop, disruption to travel and wind damage would be more likely. In addition, heavy rain in the northwest may make travelling more difficult.”
Stronger gales will remain on the cards for the North West as well as some significant rain, with the heaviest showers expected to fall on more western regions.
Best get weighing those bins down and preparing for a potential work-from-home day.
In just seconds, the entire ceiling is ablaze, with terrified customers scrambling for the exit.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue service released the video in a bid to raise awareness and prevent any similar incidents at hospitality venues in the city-region.
The shocking incident occurred in a shisha bar in Rusholme, in May this year.
Fortunately, no one was seriously injured, but several people were taken to hospital with suspected burns.
In both this instance and in the One Eight Six incident, the cause of the blaze was determined as being ‘indoor fireworks igniting decorations, which then burned rapidly allowing the fire to spread’.
GMFRS is now working with licensing teams from the 10 councils in Greater Manchester to offer free information and advice sessions to owners and managers of cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants in advance of the Halloween, World Cup and the Christmas party season.
Leon Parkes, GMFRS’s director of prevention and protection, said: “Hospitality venues have a responsibility to keep their customers and staff safe and at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service we want to help businesses to understand their legal responsibilities and take action to protect their property, staff and customers from fire.
“We have seen a couple of instances in the past year in Manchester where fires have broken out in venues caused by indoor fireworks setting light to decorations.
“While fortunately fires don’t occur very often, the impact of a fire can be devastating and many businesses don’t recover.
“Pubs, bars and other venues will be very, very busy during October, November and December. It’s important that staff prepare by getting trained in what they need to do and that they don’t inadvertently create a fire risk.
“We know that the last two years have been really difficult for hospitality businesses and hopefully the forthcoming World Cup and Christmas period will be a boost for them. We gave out fire safety advice in May last year as Covid-19 restrictions eased and we are now working with our partners to help hospitality businesses be safe and stay safe.”