Paul Heaton is receiving a raft of appreciation and support online after calling out an instance of homophobia at his recent London O2 Arena show.
Heaton and Jacqui Abbott played their packed-out show in the capital on December 17, 2022 and despite the majority of the over 12,000-strong audience enjoying themselves, two women had their night spoiled after being subjected to unacceptable behaviour from a select few members of the crowd.
After being made aware of the incident, Heaton took to social media to address the issue, identifying that four men chose to target the innocent pair.
His message to the culprits and their like was simple: “If you can’t show respect, then keep your filth away”. The majority seemed to share the sentiment.
He also urged his followers and fans of live music in general to notify security in future if/whenever they come across similarly unacceptable behaviour.
Responding to the tweet, one fan remarked, “Well said Paul… thank you for calling this out”, another wrote, “Disgusting behaviour well said Paul” and a third simply labelled the abusers “weak and cowardly.”
Like most of the people in the comments, we’re still saddened to hear that this kind of stuff is still happening in 2023, but we’re also received to see that most majority of people are not only sound but are reiterating that live gigs are about bringing people together and sharing the love of music.
It is unclear whether an official complaint has been filed with the venue or the authorities at this time but we, of course, urge those attending concerts or live events of any kind to flag any and all inappropriate conduct.
The Beautiful South duo have received further praise from their fans in the last 12 months after announcing they would also be capping tickets for the tour in question at £30, calling out the industry for increasing greed and price-throttling.
Paul and Jacqui have also been confirmed on this year’s Neighbourhood Weekender line-up on Saturday, 27 May. You love to see it.
Well in, you two — we look forward to seeing you again in the summer.
There’s a VR K-pop experience coming to a cinema in Manchester
Thomas Melia
A VR experience dedicated to a much-loved K-pop group, ENHYPEN, is making its way to a cinema screen in Manchester this Autumn.
After a stellar performance at AO Arena in Manchester earlier this week, a VR experience dedicated to K-pop group ENHYPEN is coming to a cinema screen in the city centre.
This upcoming experience with the fitting name ‘IMMERSION’, will mark the K-pop group’s first ever VR concert and is premiering across the globe, including right here in Manchester.
Featuring all-new performances, this pre-recorded concert experience allows you the chance to immerse yourself in never-before-seen content that has been specifically produced for VR.
This cinematic concert concept allows fans the chance to watch their favourite live bands and acts up close and personal without having to break the bank.
Made in partnership with Amaze, one of the world’s leading immersive concert creators, previous performers include fellow K-pop acts Aespa, Tomorrow X Together and KAI, as well as rap megastar Megan Thee Stallion.
Get ready to sing your heart out or ‘Scream’ as loud as you can when ENHYPEN take to the screen as they’re expected to perform all their usual classics, including ‘XO (Only If You Say Yes)’ and ‘Bad Desire (With or Without You)’.
If you’re worried about missing your chance to get ‘Loose’, don’t worry, because these seven K-pop stars will be on cinema screens for nine consecutive dates throughout September.
K-pop boy band ENHYPEN took to the AO Arena in Manchester earlier this week (Credit: BELIFT LAB)
This exclusive ENHYPEN VR concert experience is coming to none other than international cinema chain Odeon, which will be screening this event at one of its prime Manc locations: The Trafford Centre.
ENHYPEN are bringing ‘IMMERSION’, their first-ever VR concert experience, to Odeon Trafford Centre in Manchester from 19 September until 28 September.
You’ll catch us there ‘No Doubt’ – more information HERE.
In the meantime, why not read our review of ENHYPEN’s recent Manchester show, which served as yet more proof that we need to get properly into K-pop.
Featured Images – BELIFT LAB (supplied)/Krists Luhaers (via Unsplash)
Audio
Honorary Manc Ariana Grande announces huge world tour – but skips Manchester
Daisy Jackson
Ariana Grande has announced details of a huge world tour, but the honorary Mancunian will be skipping Manchester again.
The 32-year-old, Grammy Award-winning star has instead booked five nights at The O2 in London for her only UK stop on the tour.
Ariana Grande was made an honorary Mancunian back in 2017, in recognition of her work following the Manchester Arena terror attack.
She is the first person to have ever received this honour.
Since the atrocity in the city, which took the lives of 22 people, Ariana has only performed here twice more – once at the One Love concert she organised as a fundraiser for the victims and their families, and once as a headliner of Manchester Pride.
It’s been six years since her last tour, but Ariana Grande is now back, sharing details of her hotly-anticipated The Eternal Sunshine Tour next summer.
As well as her five-night residency in London, she’ll play four nights in LA and Brooklyn, as well as cities right across North America.
Ariana Grande has announced The Eternal Sunshine Tour
Her London dates will be her only European shows on The Eternal Sunshine Tour.
Eternal Sunshine was released in 2024 and was her seventh studio album, spawning singles ‘Yes, And?’, ‘We Can’t Be Friends’, and ‘The Boy Is Mine’.
Ariana Grande is now also an Academy Award and Golden Globe-nominated actress thanks to her starring role in Wicked as Glinda the Good Witch.
Tickets for her tour will go on sale from Tuesday 16 September with an artist presale as well as an O2 Priority Presale. Remaining tickets will be available during the general ons-ale beginning Thursday 18 September at 10am.
Ariana Grande – The Eternal Sunshine Tour Dates 2026