Rishi Sunak vows to create jobs and get ‘debt back under control’
The Chancellor addressed party members as part of an online Conservative conference - making a vow to "balance the books" and create more opportunities for jobs moving ahead.
Rishi Sunak has pledged to get borrowing and debt “back under control” as the UK heads into what the Prime Minister is calling a “bumpy” run-in to Christmas.
The Chancellor addressed party members as part of an online Conservative conference – making a vow to “balance the books” and create more opportunities for jobs moving ahead.
Sunak’s furlough scheme is due to end on October 31; replaced by the six-month Winter Economy Plan (which sees the government cover a portion of staff wages for the time they are not working).
The new jobs protection programme has received a mixed response – with some industries claiming they’ve been left without the support they need to survive.
Speaking on Monday morning, Sunak stated: “I have always said I couldn’t protect every job or every business. No chancellor could.
ADVERTISEMENT
“And even though I have said it, the pain of knowing it, only grows with each passing day.
“So, I am committing myself to a single priority – to create, support and extend opportunity to as many people as I can.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Because even if this moment is more difficult than any you have ever faced, even if it feels like there is no hope, I am telling you that there is, and that the overwhelming might of the British state will be placed at your service.”
Number 10
The Chancellor admitted there was much work to do, but cited the Kickstart Scheme – which funds wages and tax contributions for employers hiring 16-24-year-olds – as proof of the government’s intention to create opportunities for young people.
Sunak added: “We will not let talent wither, or waste, we will help all who want it, find new opportunity and develop new skills.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Through more apprenticeships, more training and a lifetime skills guarantee.
“Our Kickstart Scheme will help hundreds of thousands of young people into good quality work.
“And we will help small businesses adapt.
“That’s why we have delivered Government backed loans, tax deferrals and tax cuts.
“In a free market economy it is the entrepreneur, who is critical.
ADVERTISEMENT
“And we will make it easier for those with the ambition and appetite to take risks and be bold, to do what they do best and create jobs and growth.”
The Chancellor just spoke for 10 minutes, but he had nothing new to say.
❌No new targeted support for millions facing the furlough cliff edge ❌Nothing new for the self-employed ❌Nothing for those excluded so far
He just blew his chance to get a grip on Britain’s jobs crisis.
Shadow Chancellor, Anneliese Dodds, criticised the address, claiming that Sunak had “nothing new to say”.
Dodds wrote on Twitter: “No new targeted support for millions facing the furlough cliff edge. Nothing new for the self-employed. Nothing for those excluded so far.
“He just blew his chance to get a grip on Britain’s jobs crisis”.
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image – Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
Tameside police appeal for witnesses after two men were stabbed and doused in chilli oil
Emily Sergeant
Police are appealing for information regarding ‘multiple incidents’ that were reported in Ashton-under-Lyne town centre earlier this week.
These incidents – which took place on Tuesday evening (18 August) – included reports of assaults involving a non-toxic liquid substances, now found to have been chilli oil, and reported stabbings – with several locations examined by detectives and forensic specialists, and scenes now in place on Stamford Street, Warrington Street, and Wood Street while investigations continue.
Two men, aged 44 and 50, were taken to hospital with injuries consistent with stab wounds, but thankfully, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that their injuries are not deemed life-threatening.
A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault (grievous bodily harm) and both remain in custody for questioning.
Police believe that the incidents are linked and they are not looking for anyone else in connection.
They are, however, keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or has relevant CCTV, dashcam, or mobile phone footage that could assist with ongoing investigations.
Can you help? Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact police on 101 or via LiveChat, quoting log 3984 of 18/08/26.