Savills has this afternoon issued an updated statement following confirmation that an investigation was launched into vile racist tweets posted by an alleged employee at its Manchester branch.
The leading nationwide property company – which has a city centre branch based on Booth Street – issued its first statement regarding the incident on social media this morning after abhorrent discriminatory posts were discovered to have been made just after 11pm last night when England lost to Italy in the Euro 2020 final.
The company confirmed in a statement that it was “immediately investigating and will take appropriate action.”
Addressing the situation involving the alleged member of staff in its initial statement, Savills said: “Savills is committed to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst our workforce.
“A full investigation will be carried out in regards to this unacceptable incident.”
The statement continued: “Savills abhors and has zero tolerance to any form of racism and racial discrimination and is appalled by the racist comments in these tweets.”
It is now understood that the employee in question is from Manchester, and when approached for comment, the MEN reported that Savills’ Head of Office, James Evans, said: “We were made aware of these appalling tweets and we are shocked by what we have seen.”
Asked if any member of staff had been suspended as a result of the tweets, Mr Evans said: “We have to go through a proper procedure.”
Greater Manchester Police has also confirmed it received complaints about the post, adding in a statement that: “Reports from across the UK are being collated by United Kingdom Football Policing Unit and The Metropolitan Police and will then be allocated to the relevant forces for further investigation if required.”
Now, following initial investigations, Savills has issued an update.
The firm said in a statement posted to Twitter: “Savills confirms that the member of staff connected with the racist comments placed on Twitter claims that his account was taken over by a third party and that matter is being referred to the Greater Manchester Police.
“Savills has acted swiftly and confirms that the individual is suspended from duty pending the findings of this investigation, which is being progressed as a priority.”
The company also reiterated the stance that it has “a policy of zero tolerance on any form of racial abuse or discrimination”.
Further updates are anticipated to follow.
The updated statement by Savills comes after it was sadly confirmed that players Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford, and Jadon Sancho – who each missed a penalty – have all been subjected to disgusting racist discrimination on social media – despite being part of a team that provided the nation with so much hope over the last month.
The FA said it “strongly condemns” and has labelled “disgusting”.
The footballing body added: “We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team [and] we will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.”
“We stand with our players,” the England team said on Twitter.
Featured Image – Savills
Holly Willoughby delivers honest and emotional statement addressing Phillip Schofield scandal on This Morning return
Holly Willoughby has officially addressed the ongoing Phillip Schofield scandal on her return to This Morning on Monday.
Making her first appearance since the pair both dropped off the show following Schofield’s admission that he had a relationship with a younger man who worked on the show, his former co-presenter jumped straight into the issue at the top of the show.
“Firstly, are you OK? I hope so. It feels very strange sitting here without Phil and I know that you might be feeling a lot like I have: shaken, troubled, let down, worried for the wellbeing on all sides of what’s been going on, and have lots of questions.
“You, me and all of us at This Morning gave our love and support to someone who was not telling the truth, who acted in a way that they themselves felt they had to resign from ITV and step down from a career they loved. That is a lot to process and it’s equally hard to see the toll that has taken on their own mental health.”
The 42-year-old went on to say, “I think what unites us all now is a desire to heal for the health and wellbeing of everyone. I hope that as we start this new chapter and get back to a place of warmth and magic that this show holds for all of us, we can find strength in each other.
“From my heart, can I just say thank you for all your kind messages and thank you for being here this morning. Myself, Josie, Dermot, Alison, Craig and everyone who works on this show will continue to work hard every single day to bring you the show that we love.”
Stand-in host Josie Gibson then hugged Holly and said: “All we can do now is be the family that we are”.
After making it through the statement, Holly and Josie then jumped back into the regularly scheduled programming as usual.
As for the scandal itself, Schofield recently gave an exclusive interview with the BBC admitting that his “career is over” and had “suicidal thoughts” after the story broke, as well as insisting that he hasn’t spoken with Holly since apart from sending her an apology via text following his own statement.
The 61-year-old continues to deny allegations that he groomed the man he maintained a relationship with for a number of years but ITV has stated that they are continuing to investigate the situation following his resignation.
Tribute paid to gran, 51, stabbed to death in broad daylight in Tameside
A 51-year-old woman who was stabbed to death in broad daylight last week has been named as Michelle Hodgkinson, as her family issue a heartbreaking tribute.
She has been described as ‘the most amazing, loving, selfless and funny daughter, mother, mother-in-law, sister, auntie and most recently a nanna’.
Michelle, or ‘our Shelly B’ had been walking along Edge Lane on Friday 2 June when she was approached by a male and stabbed.
Emergency services rushed to the scene but tragically, Michelle died at the scene.
She had just been going about her day, walking to meet her mum so that she could take her shopping.
A 28-year-old man has been arrested arrested on suspicion of murder and has since been detained under the Mental Health Act.
Michelle was a community-driven individual with a long history of charity work and volunteering, as well as being her family’s ‘biggest cheerleader’.
In tribute to her issued through GMP, Michelle’s family said: “Everyone who knows Michelle is in utter shock at the attack she endured and how horrific her last moments were. Our Shelly B was the most amazing, loving, selfless and funny daughter, mother, mother-in-law, sister, auntie and most recently a nanna. It was a privilege to have been known and loved by her.
“She loved helping people in her community and was known for volunteering as an appropriate adult, her charity work and loved creating hampers to make people smile. She would be there for anyone and the day she was taken from us, she was doing just that – walking to meet her mum to take her shopping and to go for a coffee.
“Our family and friends are heartbroken. In one moment our world has crumbled and will never be the same. We will support each other, and we thank and appreciate the love and support shown by our family and friends. Please hold your loved ones close, tell them you love them and make memories.
“Words cannot describe how much she will be missed. Our biggest cheerleader, our confidant, our rock – she will never be forgotten. We love you to the moon and back! We’ll do everything we can to get justice. Love you forever and always!”