Now, as well as stating that he will not be watching it out of principle, the 56-year-old has given his thoughts on former teammate Beckham and co.
He insisted that he believes “they did wrong”.
Speaking in an interview with The Athletic’s Adam Crafton, Cantona was asked if this is something he would ever do, to which he had a fairly simply answer: “I would not do it at all. I [would] do completely the opposite.”
Harking back to his previous condemnation earlier this year, the Manchester United legend said that although he and any ex-players are obviously met with the opportunity for paid partnerships like this on a regular basis, he believes the backdrop to this tournament is simply unjustifiable.
Addressing the ambassadors themselves, he said that “it could be they don’t know what has happened there. Or, if they know it, I think they did wrong”.
Either way, he believes their decision to sign on the campaign is “a big mistake. A big, big mistake.” Becks has undoubtedly been the biggest face promoting Qatar 2022.
Like many, Cantona made his feelings on the Qatar World Cup crystal clear back in January when he reflected on what went into putting this particular tournament on.
“It’s only about money and the way they treated the people who built the stadiums, it’s horrible. And thousands of people died”, he told the Mail; “I understand football is a business. But I thought it was the only place where everybody could have a chance.”
The Gulf nation has been flagged by the likes of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch for numerous abuses, including exploiting migrant workers to build the stadiums needed for Qatar 2022.
In addition to numerous low-paid workers dying on the job, women’s rights and freedom of expression are all infringed upon. Moreover, members of the LGBTQ+ community are also persecuted, with same-sex sexual conduct still illegal as it is across much of the Middle East.
While several countries like Norway and numerous members of the Welsh national team attempted to boycott the Qatar World Cup, it seems opposition wasn’t unified enough and we’re now just 55 days from the first game.
Nevertheless, all eyes will be on this year’s tournament regardless of the football.
Antony‘s case is still ongoing, with a total of three women coming out to accuse him of domestic abuse — chiefly, his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, who was first to raise concerns surrounding his alleged behaviour — but his cooperation through the investigation has led them to revise their position.
Issuing an update on Friday morning confirming that the forward with be brought back into the fold until the situation is resolved.
A club statement reads as follows: “Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so.
“As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.
“As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”
Erik ten Hag‘s side plays their second game against Crystal Palace in less than a week after beating them 3-0 in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday and while it is not thought Antony will be brought straight back into the team, he will be available for selection moving forward.
United currently sit ninth in the Premier League with three wins and three losses to their name.
Man United to play Newcastle in Carabao Cup fourth round after Magpies knock out Man City
Last season’s Carabao Cup winners, Man United, now know their opponents for the next round after Newcastle United beat Man City 1-0 on Wednesday night, meaning both 2022/23 finalists will once again be meeting each other.
Either way, Alexander Isak’s single goal in the game at St James’ Park was enough to see the Magpies make it past the treble-winners despite a dominant first-half display from the away side.
Here’s the game-winning moment:
After receiving a yellow card during the game, the night ended with Guardiola fuming at referee Chris Kavanagh and exchanging more than a few words after the full-time whistle.
Clearing the moment up with reporters after the game, Pep said: “I don’t know how many fouls they did, how many fouls we had and the number of yellow cards, but it is what it is — sometimes the emotions are there. Respect for the referees and their job, a well-deserved yellow card.”
Nevertheless, the result has led to a repeat of last year’s culminating cup tie which, despite coming much earlier in the competition this time around, will see United facing off against a high-flying Newcastle team who just put eight goals past Sheffield United on this past Sunday.
The Magpies’ manager, Eddie Howe, has already said he and his side are aiming to “go one better” than they did last year and with the form they’re displaying at the moment — especially with United’s stuttering start — they stand a pretty good chance.
Elsewhere amongst the Premier League sides remaining in the competition, West Ham will host Arsenal, Bournemouth will play Liverpool at home and Sean Dyche’s Everton will play his old club Burnley.
Further down the footballing pyramid, Fulham visit Championship side Ipswich, Chelsea will host Blackburn and at least two other EFL sides will make it to the quarter-finals, with Mansfield at home to Port Vale and Exeter playing Middlesbrough.
All fourth-round ties are set to take place in the week commencing 30 October.
You can watch the highlights of Newcastle United vs Manchester City down below.