A further two women have come out to accuse Manchester United star Antony of assault as pressure is mounting on the club to suspend the player.
Following a fresh batch of allegations made by ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin earlier this week, the Man United winger is now being investigated by both Brazilian authorities and Greater Manchester Police and has been subsequently withdrawn by his national team until the case has been resolved.
While Cavallin first made her claims back in June, with Antony insisting his innocence throughout, another two women have now spoken out against the 23-year-old, alleging that they were assaulted by the former Ajax player in the past 12 months or so.
As per various outlets in his home country, Rayssa de Freitas, an influencer and law student, claims she was left injured after being assaulted by Antony and another woman in May 2022. Brazilian newspaper Extra reported that De Freitas went to Sao Paulo Police at the time and even required hospital treatment.
The third woman to speak out is 33-year-old Ingrid Lana, a banker who claimed in a recent television interview with journalist Roberto Cabrini — the same man who spoke with Cavallin on Record TV earlier this year — that she was pressured by Antony to have sex while on a business trip to England last year.
Lana alleged that Antony invited her to his home and ended up pushing her against a wall which resulted in her banging her head.
“He tried to have a [sexual] relationship with me and I didn’t want to”, she claimed, adding, “He pushed me against the wall and I hit my head. My purpose was just business. Arriving there at his invitation, I realised he had ulterior motives.”
With three different women now alleging similar inappropriate and often violent behaviour from the Brazil international, United were led to release a statement assuring that they are taking the investigation into consideration but are still being criticised for as yet refusing to suspend him from the squad.
This comes in what has been a terrible few months of publicity for the club, with not only Mason Greenwood‘s long drawn-out controversy having loomed large over Old Trafford but, most recently, the shocking revelation that they invited a convicted paedophile to a women’s game last season.
Man United are yet to release an updated response to the latest claims and have already insisted they will make “no further comments” until the investigation reaches its conclusion, but it’s safe to say they’ll be keen to avoid further damage to their reputation which has taken a beating of late.
As for Antony, it is understood that he is still denying the allegations levelled against him despite admitting, at least in the case of his former partner Cavallin, that there was “verbal abuse on both sides”.
Nevertheless, the online group Female Fans Against Mason Greenwood’s Return have also expressed their dismay at the club’s failure to act as another member of the squad’s conduct has once again been called into question.
Issuing a lengthy statement on social media, they said the allegations against Antony “are horrific and shows that clubs and football authorities need to step their game up in how they respond to these issues because they’re going to keep happening”, adding that “there need to be protocols in place that take decisions out of club hands…”
Scott McTominay jokes he’s ‘fuming’ he didn’t score a hat-trick against Chelsea as he reflects on Man United’s mentality
Scott McTominay has joked he’s “fuming” with himself after failing to score a hat-trick in Manchester United’s 2-1 win over Chelsea on Wednesday nightand shed some light on the mentality around Old Trafford.
McTominay starred in the Red Devils’ win over Mauricio Pochettino’s side on a cold night at home, managing to bag a brace with a goal in the first and second half to get his squad over the line, but he himself said he could have had more.
Speaking to MUTV after the game, the 26-year-old said he and the squad knew they needed to drum up a reaction after the Newcastle disappointment, adding that contributing more goals is something he wants to keep working on and insisting that plenty of people back him to do so.
Confessing that his mum, dad and grandad have all been encouraging him to “get in the box” and that he just needs to “believe in [him]self and go for it”, the Scotsman did go on to quip he was “fuming” to not grab a third as he shook his head went on to shake and reveal a wry smile.
Commentator and presenter Stewart Gardner went on to list McTominay’s impressive stats this season, having now scored 14 goals in his last 33 appearances for club and country. A seriously good rate from a midfielder typically entrusted to help link play and break things up in the middle of the park.
Now boasting half a dozen goals and an assist across all competitions so far this campaign, he sits as the club’s leading goalscorer in the Premier League with five finishes to his name — with only Bruno Fernandes having contributed more (five goals and five assists) — he’s genuinely become one of Man United’s main goal threats.
While he recently rubbished talk that he played as a striker regularly coming up through the youth academy, simply having been deployed for the odd game in reality, he has always had a shot on him and it isn’t the first time he’s bagged a winner or a big goal for the Reds. This wasn’t a bad one either:
Chatting with the pundits on Amazon Prime Sport, he reiterated that he could have had “one or two more” on another night and agreed that the performance against Newcastle in the previous fixture was “pretty abysmal”, holding his hands up to admit that it was “no way near good enough”.
Reflecting on the later chance he had to seal the hat-trick towards the end of the game, he said he simply needed to “calm down on the last one”.
As for the mentality to get the result during a difficult period where the club remained under a lot of scrutiny from pundits and fans alike, McTominay went on to say that the manager is responsible for the way they played and some “lighter training sessions to keep energy levels up” definitely helped.
Regardless, he was sure to not get ahead of himself and assured ten Hag‘s team were still taking things a game at a time. You can watch the full highlights from Manchester United vs Chelsea down below:
Featured Images — Scott McTominay (via Instagram)/MUTV
Kevin Sinfield has entered the final leg of yet another ultra marathon challenge for MND
Ex-rugby player turned England coach Kevin Sinfield has begun the final day of yet another incredible ultra marathon challenge he is undertaking to raise money and awareness around motor neurone disease (MND), with the sports personality scheduled to finish up this Thursday.
Having set off on 1 December, the Oldham-born athlete is facing what he has called easily his “toughest challenge” yet, taking on the newly-dubbed ‘Ultra 7 in 7 in 7’, which will see him once again run an ultra marathon every day for seven days across seven different cities.
Following on from his first Ultra 7 in 7 back in 2020 and most recent one last year, the Leeds Rhinos legend has now raised well over £8 million pounds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA), the cause he got behind following his former teammate and best mate Rob Burrow’s diagnosis in 2019.
Now, having taken on the incredible feat once again — running the equivalent of 27 miles (43km) a day — Sinfield is hoping to not just reach the trademark £777,777 fundraising target, but smash it for a fourth consecutive time. Here he is finishing up his penultimate leg in his second home.
Setting off from Yorkshire’s iconic Headingley Stadium with a team of friends and volunteers, the 43-year-old has passed through the likes of Cardiff, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Dublin and Brighton, and is now staring down one last push towards the finale from Twickenham Stadium to the Mall in London.
Having already amassed over £557k in donations since the start of his remarkable journey, he is well on course to reach the finish line in every sense of the word.
The best part about this most recent Ultra 7 fundraising challenge, though, is that beyond just putting in the hard yards in Burrow‘s name and raising money for the MNDA, the funds generated from this series of runs will be going to multiple causes.
As well as the Leeds Hospitals Charity and The Darby Rimmer MND Foundation, money will also be going to the Irish MNDA set up by former Scottish rugby player, Doddie Weir, who sadly died from the condition in 2022 but has remained an inspiration to Sinfield and countless others over recent years.
Having echoed his lasting sentiment that “MND isn’t untreatable, it’s just underfunded” throughout his own campaigning for the cause, the local sporting hero will also be representing the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation in his honour. Heartwarming stuff.
As we’re sure is the case for all of you too, we’ve been absolutely blown away by this man over the last few years not only in his ability to keep completing these huge feats of endurance but by the size of his heart in continuing to fundraise on such a massive scale.
From raising awareness around MND and becoming an emblem of friendship with his best mate Rob, Kevin Sinfield has truly set an example for all of us and will no doubt prove a role model to millions for years to come.