Sinaga was found guilty of committing 159 counts of sexual offences against 48 different men in Manchester.
Twitter was filled with reactions to the “harrowing” watch during and after it aired.
“What a harrowing and emotional documentary. I could see his flat from my uni halls bedroom. So utterly sickening what was happening on the road below that window. Such brave survivors and dedicated officers. Heartbreaking,” one tweet read.
Another said: “That was a disturbing watch.”
“I am in shock. A real life horror story. So many poor men who were assaulted and had to find out from the police.. heartbreaking. Recommend you watch – in a time we highlight men being violent it’s important to realise that men get raped too,” a third added.
Another shocked Twitter user reacted: “This was harrowing – after the last few weeks these police and CPS were amazing and I hope they are being supported too. Brave victims to support the prosecution.”
“One of the most disturbing things I’ve ever watched – but well documented and an important message,” another reaction.
155 reports were received following a public appeal launched in January 2020 following the last of Sinaga’s four trials at Manchester Crown Court.
23 of the 155 were confirmed as potential victims of Sinaga.
Of the 23 identified, 12 were previously recorded by the investigation as ‘unidentified victims’, and no further charges will be brought in respect of 23 further victims, as those concerned do not wish to support a prosecution and are satisfied with the convictions and sentence already secured.
The total number of male victims of Sinaga is believed to be 206, and Greater Manchester Police still believe that around 60 victims remain unidentified.
Greater Manchester Police also took to Twitter with a statement after the documentary aired.
GMP are continuing to urge people who believe they may have been a victim of Sinaga to come forward and, following the broadcast of the documentary, have reissued details on how to contact police and access support services.
All reports made to police will be fully investigated, and information can be passed to police via the Major Incident Public Portal here.
“We are continuing to work together to support anyone else targeted by Reynhard Sinaga, and I would ask anyone who thinks they have been attacked by him to come forward,” said Detective Inspector Zed Ali, who is leading the investigation.
“You might not be completely sure what happened, or how to talk about it – but there is help available.”
If you missed it, you can watch Catching a Predator on BBC iPlayer here.
Featured Image – Greater Manchester Police
Question Time audience stunned as first-time buyer says mortgage quote DOUBLED
Thursday night’s Question Time audience could be heard audibly gasping after a fellow crowd member revealed that her mortgage quote had doubled followed the recent mini-budget.
Taping in Manchester on 29 September, the current events and politics programme was discussing property when would-be first-time buyer Rabia revealed that her mortgage offer had jumped from an initial amount of 4.5% interest to a shocking 10.5% in just a matter of days.
As you can see in the incredible clip, both the audience and the panel are taken aback at the revelation.
The Greater Manchester resident said she is desperate to know what the government’s plan for mortgages is as following the latest revision, she says she simply cannot afford to put the money down on her first home.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer weighed in on the social media reaction, quote tweeting the clip from his party’s own account and stating that “the Tories must get back to Parliament and reverse their kamikaze budget” as the current economic mess is being “paid for by working people”.
To make matters worse, Rabia was given no clarification from her lenders, only that they were pulling her offers. Conservative MP and Minister for Local Government, Faith and Communities, Paul Scully had little information to offer her either, simply stating it is a short-term effect and that the market will stabilise.
Scully was subject to an entirely different reaction from the audience as well after his blind attempts to defend Prime Minister Liz Truss and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng were met with laughter. Conversely, Richard Bacon was met with applause after he labelled the mini-budget “absurd”.
As if the anti-Tory sentiment wasn’t already at a high, the chancellor’s mini-budget – which saw the corporations, bankers and the generally wealthy benefit ahead of the working class – has seen fresh calls for a general election to be held as soon as possible.
Beyond declaring a so-called £2,500 limit on energy bills (which many have warned isn’t a guaranteed cap), there was seemingly very little in the way of policy that
For those still unclear as to what was announced in the divisive mini-budget, here is a quick summary:
Speaking in a speech at the Labour conference in Liverpool on Tuesday, Starmer said that the government “haven’t just failed to fix the roof, they’ve ripped out the foundations, smashed the windows and now they’ve blown the doors off for good measure.
First images of King Charles III on new coins revealed
The first images of King Charles III‘s likeness on the next 50p coin have been unveiled by the Royal Mint as the nation prepares to transition into a new form of currency.
Revealed on Friday, 30 September, the UK’s official coin maker unveiled the first piece of legal tender. The incoming 50p features Charles’ face in the classic profile position and a new design on the reverse that harks back to the design featured on Queen Elizabeth II‘s 1953 coronation coin.
As you can see, the new coin includes the four quarters of the Royal Arms depicted within a shield and in between each shield is an emblem of the home nations; a rose, a thistle, a shamrock and a leek.
Martin Jennings, Designer of His Majesty King Charles III’s effigy, said in a press release: “It is a privilege to sculpt the first official effigy of His Majesty and to receive his personal approval for the design.
“The portrait was sculpted from a photograph of The King, and was inspired by the iconic effigies that have graced Britain’s coins over the centuries. It is the smallest work I have created, but it is humbling to know it will be seen and held by people around the world for centuries to come.”
Jennings is also responsible for designing the new commemorative £5 coin, customary for marked occasions such as the change over of monarchs.
The limited edition £5 coin will form part of a wider memorial coin collection following the passing of Britain’s longest-reigning monarch.
There is an estimated £4.5 billion worth of existing currency – approximately 27 billion coins of various denominations alone – thought to be in circulation, not to mention things like stamps, meaning that we will likely have to get used to carrying both old and new coins.
This isn’t the only significant change Britons can expect either, as earlier this week the Royal Family revealed the new King’s new cypher which will replace the Queen’s ‘EIIR’ seal across the UK, such as on the gates of Buckingham Palace and on postboxes.