A new campaign video aimed at reducing youth violence has been released and is to be shown at schools and colleges throughout Greater Manchester.
Following three tragic fatal stabbings of young people from the city-region recent weeks, Greater Manchester’s Violence Reduction Unit (VRU) – which is working with the Combined Authority (GMCA) on the campaign – has launched a new video as part of its ongoing work to reduce violence.
The short video is aimed at young people, parents and teachers, and is one of a number of measures in place to prevent further tragic incidents.
It shares the clear message that “speaking out could save a life”, GMCA says.
A youth worker, teacher, young person, and community worker who has turned his life around after being involved in violence all feature and shares their stories in the 90-second video that has been shared on social media, and sent to schools, colleges, and Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) in Greater Manchester.
ADVERTISEMENT
We are shocked & saddened that three young people have been fatally stabbed in Greater Manchester in recent weeks. Our deepest sympathies are with their families, friends and local communities. There is no place for violence in our city-region. #speakingoutcouldsavealife. pic.twitter.com/VnJ40zCfD9
— Greater Manchester Violence Reduction Unit (@GM_VRU) February 7, 2022
“My thoughts are with the families and friends of the three young people tragically killed in recent weeks and all communities affected by violence and knife crime,” said Bev Hughes, Deputy Mayor of Greater Manchester for Policing, Crime, Criminal Justice and Fire.
“There is no place for violence in our city-region.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We are committed to strong police enforcement to address violent crime and to trying to prevent it from happening in this first place, but this requires partners to continue to work together with young people and communities to create long-term change [and] as these recent events have all too sadly demonstrated, there is much work to be done to end serious violence and we will not stop in our efforts to do that.
“We need everyone’s help to end violence amongst young people [so] if you see anything that doesn’t feel right involving your child, a family member or a friend please speak out.”
This new campaign video comes after the VRU launched a project last year that sees highly skilled youth workers based in A&E departments across several busy hospitals.
ADVERTISEMENT
The ‘navigators’ respond to young people and their families when coming into hospital with injuries that result from violence, referring them on to ongoing outreach and support – such as sports clubs, or mentoring – and the programme has recently been expanded to accept referrals from the community and via North West Ambulance Service.
260 young people from across the region have been referred to the navigators to date.
There are 12 knife amnesty bins across Greater Manchester / Credit: GMP
“GMP is working with partner agencies on several initiatives to keep people safe from these weapons which, in the hands of criminals, are stealing lives, devastating families and posing threat, harm and risk to our communities,” added Detective Superintendent Chris Downey – GMP’s knife crime lead.
“I would also like to reach out to the young people within our communities and ask them to report or share any concerns regarding themselves or friends that are involved in a dispute, violence or carrying a knife.
“It’s not right to stand by and do nothing.
ADVERTISEMENT
“This is not about getting friends in trouble – in the vast majority of instances our involvement is about keeping people safe and understanding why someone feels the need to carry a weapon.
“Neither GMP nor the justice system will tolerate this type of crime, we are proactively stopping and searching individuals and I would remind offenders that carrying a knife can result in a prison sentence and life-long criminal record.”
Featured Image – GMP
News
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.