Over 400 homes in areas of south Manchester have now been evacuated over flooding risks as Storm Franklin continues to batter the region.
After the arrival of Storm Dudley and Storm Eunice meant that Greater Manchester and widespread parts of the country were to hit by two storms within three days last week, with strong winds, heavy rain, snow and ‘blizzard conditions’ in some areas, travel chaos on roads and train lines, and thousands of homes left without power, Storm Franklin was named over the weekend.
The Met Office confirmed the naming of the storm on Saturday morning, and forecast that it would bring “strong winds and heavy rain to the UK on Sunday and Monday”.
A yellow weather warning for wind has been issued for much of the country.
As per the warning, the Met Office says that people could see some damage to buildings, trees/branches being brought down, transport services affected by delays and cancellations, some roads and bridges required to close, and power outages.
Injuries and “danger to life “could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads, and properties, the Met Office also said.
Following the naming of the storm, the North West branch of the Environment Agency yesterday issued alerts – which indicates “a possible danger to life” – for 430 properties in Didsbury and Northenden after he River Mersey reached record levels.
The Environment Agency said the flood gates were opened.
Police went door-to-door asking people to evacuate, and people left their homes to stay in hotels or with relatives, while Didsbury Mosque also offered shelter – however, despite the River Mersey reaching a record high, water levels were said to have peaked at midnight, before receding in the early hours.
Two severe flood warnings are still in place.
Footage from EA Field Operatives as they operate #Didsbury Flood Basin on the #Mersey
Severe Flood Warnings are in place, please follow advice from Emergency Services, and evacuate if asked to do so
This is by no means the first time this area of the region has had to be evacuated due to flood risks, as last January, more than 2,000 properties in Didsbury and Northenden were evacuated after during Storm Christoph.
Homes in the area did however escape serious flooding when river levels came “within centimetres” of breaching defences.
Following last year’s storm, volunteers at Fletcher Moss Park – which is near flood basins for south Manchester – called for better environmental management after parts of the area flooded and benches were knocked over by rushing water.
Bev Craig, Leader of Manchester City Council, has provided an update on the situation in south Manchester this morning, explaining on Twitter that: “Thankfully after the peak at 4am, emergency evacuation operations on the ground were stood down and we got through the night without any flooding or damage to properties.
“Thanks again to everyone involved and to the hundreds of residents who were impacted.”
She also thanked representatives from the Council, the Environment Agency, GMP, Manchester Fire Service, and local volunteers “who have been at it all day and into the night”.
Thankfully after the peak at 4am, emergency evacuation operations on the ground were stood down and we got through the night without any flooding or damage to properties. Thanks again to everyone involved and to the hundreds of residents who were impacted. https://t.co/cMYhKlYa8u
Elsewhere across Greater Manchester, road and rail services in some parts of the region have been affected this morning due to heavy rains, strong winds, and in some cases, obstruction to the lines, which has prompted a number of local transport providers to urge people not to travel, or delay journeys until after 10am.
Several south Manchester A roads are currently experiencing delays, while he M60 is closed in both directions near J10 due to an overturned lorry, and a tree is currently said to be blocking the railway lines between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport.
Some Metrolink services have also been affected for similar reasons.
The yellow weather warning amid Storm Franklin is set to end at 1pm today (21 February), with rain expected to lighten off and stop by 12pm.
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.
New ‘postboxes of the future’ are being rolled out across the UK
Danny Jones
The Royal Mail is starting to roll out its line of so-called “postboxes of the future” across the UK this year, including right here in Greater Manchester.
It has been dubbed the most important and noticeable transformation to the classic British postbox in its entire 175-year history.
The national postal service teased the modern-day upgrade earlier this year, but the revolutionary new upgrade was officially announced this week, with Royal Mail ushering in a new era of digitally-driven units that should make many lives a lot easier – at least in theory.
Although they might look pretty identical to the iconic red boxes since before the turn of the 19th century have used up and down the country, there are marked differences between the new and the old ones.
Credit: Royal Mail
The biggest change made to the Royal Mail’s soon-to-be standard design is a digitally activated drop-down drawer, which will be able to fit parcels as big as a shoebox, hopefully saving us Brits on a fair few trips to the post office.
You will be able to scan a barcode via the updated Royal Mail app to activate the drawer for larger items; meanwhile, there will be a separate slot for letters and smaller packages.
Additionally, the new range of high-tech postboxes will also be solar-powered, helping the public limited company chase its ‘green’ targets.
Now owned by parent firm International Distribution Services (IDS) – who also oversee Parcelforce Worldwide – following the UK government’s approval of its historic sale to Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský at the end of 2024, the group as a whole is undergoing a significant overhaul.
Britain’s new solar postboxes were first trialled back in April in four towns located throughout the Hertfordshire region: Letchworth Garden City, Ware and Hertford. A fifth was later installed in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire, too.
Despite being quickly considered a success on the whole, the initial design featured an entirely black top, with polls of civilians and Royal Mail themselves agreeing that keeping them red all over was more in keeping with the brand.
It’s like the old school phone box, isn’t it? We can’t picture it any other way.
📮Attention Postbox Lovers 📮
Royal Mail is upgrading postboxes to accept parcels. They'll gaining a new slot and a solar panel on top
Speaking in a statement, the Royal Mail‘s managing director of ‘out-of-home and commercial excellence’, Jack Clarkson, said: “We are all sending and returning more parcels than ever before.
“This trend will only continue as online shopping shows no signs of slowing, particularly with the boom of second-hand marketplaces. There are 115,000 postboxes in the UK located within half a mile of 98% of addresses, making them by far the most convenient network of parcel drop-off points in the UK.
“Our message is clear – if you have a Royal Mail label on your parcel, and it fits, put it in a postbox and we’ll do the rest.”
The new generation postboxes are now being made permanent in the same locations, with Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester next.
Keep your eyes peeled on the streets as they’ll soon be making a debut in your area.