A new award-winning pie shop has landed in the city centre, just in time for payday.
Ate Days A Week, Stockport’s music-themed pie shop, has made the move over to Manchester – opening its doors on Cooper Street this Wednesday inside the former Porky Pig unit.
Open from 8am in the week and 10am on weekends, its new Manchester cafe menu boasts a number of breakfast pies filled with all your go-to Full English delights, alongside some rotating all-day favourites.
Head inside and you’ll find classic hand-shaped pies in flavours like steak, cheese and onion and chicken balti, alongside some delightful breakfast additions.
Think a Full English pie, filled with all your classic breakfast favourites, and another called ‘Bake Me Up Before You Go Go’ – stuffed with bacon beans, cheddar cheese, hash brown, black pudding and Brown Sauce gravy.
ADVERTISEMENT
And that’s not all. There are pie barms for the Wigan purists, breakfast barms and beans on toast for local construction and office workers, plus sausage rolls, chocolate chip cookies, and some brilliantly named hot sandwiches (lest we forget, the team are really well known for butites, too).
Currently on the blackboard, you’ll find ‘I Ham The Walrus’ (fried eggs, chips, and picalilli) and ‘Bartender and The Beef’ (braised steak, Welsh rarebit, caramelised onions, and a pot of gravy for dipping).
ADVERTISEMENT
These, however, are set to rotate over time, just like the pies.
All of Ate Days A Week menu is currently available to enjoy as a takeaway, but in a couple of weeks, the cafe will be open for dining in too – with a new 40(ish) cover restaurant space currently being installed upstairs.
The music-themed eatery has made quite a name for itself with dishes like Don’t Look Back In Banger and (I Just) Died In Your Barm since launching in Stockport in 2020.
The brand has had a meteoric rise, having transitioned quickly from being a takeaway-only site to opening its first bricks and mortar site in a former chippy, before moving into Manchester.
When owner Andy James announced the move earlier this year, he said that he wanted to “move Ate Days A Week to a site that allows us to continue to push on with what we do, get bigger and better and fully flourish”
He also acknowledged that “location will play a vital part”, and now we’ve seen exactly where the shop is – we can completely understand why.
Feature image – The Manc Group
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”