Prince Harry‘s new autobiography has become the UK’s fastest-selling non-fiction book ever, just a day after its release.
After what appears to have been a rather controversial last few days in the wake of the airing of several high-profile interviews with the Duke of Sussex to promote first-ever memoir – which is titled ‘Spare’, and was released on yesterday (10 January) – according to recording figures, 400,000 copies of the book have been sold so far.
This is the total number of copies across hardback, ebook, and audio formats on its first day of publication.
Publishers say the success of the book has already ‘exceeded’ expectations.
“We always knew this book would fly but it is exceeding even our most bullish expectations,” admitted Larry Finlay, Managing Director of Transworld Penguin Random House.
ADVERTISEMENT
“As far as we know, the only books to have sold more in their first day are those starring the other Harry (Potter).”
Prince Harry’s memoir Spare becomes UK’s fastest-selling non-fiction book ever / Credit: Barnes & Noble | WHSmith
If you have been keeping an eye on the news recently, then you’ll probably know that Prince Harry has used the 550-plus pages of Spare to make a series of revelations and headline-dominating claims about the Royal Family – which come after he and his wife Meghan Markle stepped down as senior royals in early 2019.
ADVERTISEMENT
Some of these shocking claims include Price Harry accusing Prince William of physically attacking him and teasing him about his panic attacks, saying King Charles put his own interests above Harry’s, and branding Camilla as the “villain” and “dangerous”.
The book is also said to be unexpectedly packed with some of Prince Harry’s celebrity anecdotes.
The release of Spare comes after millions tuned it to watch as ITV aired a high-profile televised interview with the Duke of Sussex, Harry: The Interview, last Sunday evening.
ADVERTISEMENT
During the in-depth interview, Prince Harry speaks on everything from his experiences growing up, the death of his mother Princess Diana, and his personal relationships, to how he believes “silence is betrayal” in reference to the alleged failure of Buckingham Palace to defend him and his wife before they stepped down as senior royals and moved to the US.
He also claimed in the interview that, since the moment that moved away, his family have “shown absolutely no willingness to reconcile”.
Prince Harry during an in-depth televised interview with ITV to promote ‘Spare’ / Credit: ITV
Adding that he feels it “never needed to be this way”, Harry told ITV’s Tom Bradby that he believes his family “feel as though it is better to keep us somehow as the villains”.
“I want a family, not an institution,” he said in the interview.
Spare by Prince Harry is currently on sale at several book retailers and chains across the UK, and despite having a retail price of £28, many shops – including high street favourites Waterstones and WHSmith – are selling it at half price.
ADVERTISEMENT
You can also grab at copy of the book for just £14 on Amazon too.
Featured Image – Waterstones
Trending
Erling Haaland is set to make his acting debut later this year
Danny Jones
Manchester City star Erling Haaland is set to make his debut film appearance later this year in his first proper voice acting job as part of an animated movie.
Let’s just say our obsessive countdown until the release date starts NOW.
The Premier League player and sporting superstar has obviously featured on camera plenty since bursting onto the scene – not least of all for his own YouTube channel – but this will be new territory for the Norwegian.
Rather fittingly for the Scandinavian striker, he’s not only playing a Viking character in the upcoming animation, ViQueens, but he’s also basically set to play a version of himself.
Soccer Superstar Erling Haaland to Play Animated Viking in Film Debut (Exclusive) https://t.co/r6uxxOClJI
As per The Hollywood Reporter, the new film by fellow compatriot and director, Harald Zwart, who is best known for the likes of Agent Cody Banks, the 2010 Karate Kid reboot, and The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
He also directed comedian Steve Martin’s second outing as The Pink Panther, so it’s safe to say he’s got a funny bone or two.
That being said, it feels like the 25-year-old will be able to have some fun with this script, in which he is set to play a Viking of the same name – because of course he is.
While it’s still yet to be revealed as to just how big a role he will have in the feature film set to arrive this winter, what we know so far is that the film is an action-comedy adventure revolving around a “world of fearless warrior girls, icy fjords, and Silk Road mythology.”
It’s also worth noting that this isn’t even the first time we’ve seen a cartoon version of Erling Haaland brought to life, as he also popped up in the world of gaming a little while back.
The career of a top footballer really can be a crazy one, can’t it?
Speaking on the film, director and co-writer Zwart told the outlet: “As a Norwegian storyteller making a Viking adventure for a global audience, having Erling Haaland join ViQueens feels incredibly exciting.
“Erling has already become a kind of real-life Viking icon around the world – powerful, fearless, and uniquely Norwegian. Bringing him into this universe as himself gives the film an unexpected energy and authenticity that felt completely right for this story.”
Other famous faces set to star in the animation, which is set to release this December, include singer-turned-actor Rita Ora and Ella Purnell (Fallout, Arcane, Sweetpea), who are starring as the two lead characters and voice actors.
Enzo Maresca to Manchester City: Ex-Chelsea coach looks set to replace Pep Guardiola
Danny Jones
Manchester City manager and club legend Pep Guardiola looks all set to leave the Etihad at the end of this season, and it appears that Enzo Maresca has already been identified as his replacement.
With the game-changing Catalan head coach now seemingly gearing up to leave Man City after a decade, following the conclusion of the 2025/26 Premier League campaign (which his side could very well still win), Blues are already getting ready to bid a bittersweet goodbye.
You won’t find many City supporters who will be happy to see him go, having overseen not only a period of dominance but the most successful period in their history – one that has quite literally changed English football – but they will at least be optimistic about the frontrunner to succeed him.
As per the ever-reliable Fabrizio Romano, among other sources, an agreement is said to have been reached for the Italian to take over in East Manchester.
🚨🔵 BREAKING: Enzo Maresca has a total verbal agreement with Manchester City, HERE WE GO!
The Italian manager has always been considered the ideal candidate to replace Pep Guardiola.
Deal in place and Maresca will sign an initial three year deal at #MCFC. 🇮🇹
Going so far as to state that the deal is now in place, he claims that Maresca will sign a three-year deal with Man City.
Obviously, this is all still pending an official announcement by the club, which may now be moving up their plans to confirm Pep’s departure since the news was first reported on Monday, 18 May.
According to The Athletic‘s Sam Lee, who was part of the outlet’s team that helped break the story alongside David Ornstein, the 46-year-old has been earmarked for the top job for more than half a decade, as it turns out.
He states that former City Football Group exec and director of football, Txiki Begiristain, already believed Maresca could follow in the Spaniard’s footseps back in 2020.
Yes, it’s also worth reminding that Maresca has already worked as part of the staff at the Etihad Campus, not only leading their Elite Development Squad (EDS) of U23s players, but also being part of the backroom staff alongside the serial winner, serving as an assistant coach in 2022.
Sources are telling Sky Sports News that Pep Guardiola is leaving Manchester City after Sunday's final Premier League game of the season 🔵
Preparations are underway for the outcome that Guardiola will leave – and Enzo Maresca is most likely to become his successor.
The 46-year-old has gone on to win the likes of the Championship, UEFA Conference League title and a FIFA Club World Cup in his last two jobs at Leicester and Chelsea, respectively, barring his very first stint at Parma in 2021 when he missed out getting his side promoted.
Safe to say that Maresca has quickly gone on to be one of the most promising managerial prospects in a relatively short space of time, and was even linked with being both the England boss and a rival position for Manchester United at one point or another.
It’s only a matter of time until we find out if/for how long he gets the job following Pep Guardiola’s contract expiring this summer, but he’ll have quite the job on
Would you be happy with the appointment, Blues? More crucially, perhaps, are you ready to say farewell to your greatest-ever manager?