The equivalent of more than 75,000 meals have been provided to food banks by Deliveroo customers in Manchester, helping the most vulnerable in our communities through the cost of living crisis.
The huge sum of meals have gone to the Trussell Trust‘s nationwide network since April 2022, thanks to the delivery platform’s partnership with the charity.
More than 36,000 Deliveroo customers in our city have rounded up their orders and made donations at the check-out.
This has then helped to provide meals and vital support (like programmes to help people maximise their incomes) to food banks around the Trussell Trust network across the country.
Deliveroo’s partnership with the food bank charity aimed to provide two million meals and vital support for people facing hunger across the country, as part of the next phase of Deliveroo’s Full Life campaign.
ADVERTISEMENT
And it has smashed that target, in just nine months.
To celebrate, Deliveroo has committed to matching customer donations on Saturday 4 March, meaning there’ll be double the number of meals going to food banks.
ADVERTISEMENT
Deliveroo and the Trussell Trust
Manchester was the highest-donating city after London.
The Trussell Trust is an anti-poverty charity which supports a UK-wide network of more than 1,300 food bank centres and works towards a more just future where no one needs emergency food.
The partnership marks the first time Deliveroo in the UK has enabled a round-up feature on its app for customers to add a donation when they check-out their orders, with all proceeds going to the Trussell Trust and its network of food banks.
ADVERTISEMENT
Carlo Mocci, chief business officer UK & Ireland at Deliveroo, said: “Our partnership with the Trussell Trust continues to provide vital support to those people in the UK facing hardship during a time when cost of living pressures are increased.
“Thank you to all of our generous Deliveroo customers in Manchester who have contributed more than 75,000 meals to food banks, helping us reach our goal of providing two million meals to people facing hunger.”
Danni Malone, director of network Programmes and Innovation at Trussell Trust, said: “We are extremely grateful to Deliveroo for the support that they have provided over the last year to our network of more than 1,300 food bank centres, including many in Manchester.
“Food banks are experiencing one of their busiest years yet as they have distributed millions of emergency food parcels to people who can’t afford essentials like heating and food, while also battling against rising operational costs.
“The generosity of Deliveroo and their customers has been invaluable, helping ensure that food banks in the Trussell Trust network are able to support everyone who turns to them, as well as funding wider support programmes that help lift people out of poverty and ensure they can afford the essentials.”
Featured image: Supplied
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image – Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
Tameside police appeal for witnesses after two men were stabbed and doused in chilli oil
Emily Sergeant
Police are appealing for information regarding ‘multiple incidents’ that were reported in Ashton-under-Lyne town centre earlier this week.
These incidents – which took place on Tuesday evening (18 August) – included reports of assaults involving a non-toxic liquid substances, now found to have been chilli oil, and reported stabbings – with several locations examined by detectives and forensic specialists, and scenes now in place on Stamford Street, Warrington Street, and Wood Street while investigations continue.
Two men, aged 44 and 50, were taken to hospital with injuries consistent with stab wounds, but thankfully, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that their injuries are not deemed life-threatening.
A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault (grievous bodily harm) and both remain in custody for questioning.
Police believe that the incidents are linked and they are not looking for anyone else in connection.
They are, however, keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or has relevant CCTV, dashcam, or mobile phone footage that could assist with ongoing investigations.
Can you help? Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact police on 101 or via LiveChat, quoting log 3984 of 18/08/26.