Man dies in Peak District after 90ft fall while mountain biking

This is such a tragic turn of events. RIP.

Daisy Jackson Daisy Jackson - 24th April 2023

A huge rescue effort had a tragic ending in the Peak District last week, after a mountain biker was pronounced dead following a 90ft fall.

The multi-agency effort saw mountain rescue teams, two helicopters, police, fire service and an air ambulance scrambled to Bradfield Moors in the national park.

Tragically, the air ambulance doctor declared the man dead from his severe injuries at the scene.

His body was carefully retrieved by teams from Edale Mountain Rescue and Woodhead Mountain Rescue, assisted by local gamekeepers.

The accident occurred on Tuesday 18 April, with reports that a gentleman had fallen ‘from a considerable height’ during a bike ride with friends.

The mountain biker sadly died after falling a ‘considerable height’. Credit: Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team

Edale Mountain Rescue said that once it became clear the cyclist ‘had not survived’ the fall, the priority became bringing him back up to the footpath.

They posted: “Thank you to everyone who gave everything to help the situation, police and fire service, and especially the gamekeepers. Our thoughts are with the gentlemans family and friends at this very sad time.”


A statement from Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team said: “Given the severity of this incident, both Yorkshire Air Ambulance and the S92 from Humber Coastguard were called out, as well as a request for Edale Mountain Rescue Team to assist. Unfortunately, after a careful examination by the air ambulance doctor, the casualty had suffered severe injuries and was pronounced deceased.

“Due to the location of the incident, we were tasked to retrieve the gentleman. Both MR Teams worked together to carefully plan the technical extraction which included setting up a rope system to lower & raise team members and a stretcher over steep ground.

“As the stretcher party reached the top, local gamekeepers kindly assisted to carry the gentleman to the Team’s vehicle. From there, it was the duty of the MR to transport the gentleman off the hill via the Team’s vehicle for the hand over to the relevant authorities.


“This callout was a multi-operational callout with 2 helicopters in attendance, 2 Mountain Rescue Teams, the Ambulance, Fire Service, and the Police.

“Callouts like this don’t happen often but when they do, team members remain calm, professional, and respectful. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the gentleman’s family and friends at this very sad time.”

A comment on Facebook said: “Thank you so much for retrieving my fathers body. A tragic day for us.

“We are so thankful for your selfless bravery, professionalism and respect shown all the way through the retrieval. My family and I send thanks and commend all those involved.”

Featured image: Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team