A huge rescue effort had a tragic ending in the Peak District last week, after a mountain biker was pronounced dead following a 90ft fall.
The multi-agency effort saw mountain rescue teams, two helicopters, police, fire service and an air ambulance scrambled to Bradfield Moors in the national park.
Tragically, the air ambulance doctor declared the man dead from his severe injuries at the scene.
His body was carefully retrieved by teams from Edale Mountain Rescue and Woodhead Mountain Rescue, assisted by local gamekeepers.
The accident occurred on Tuesday 18 April, with reports that a gentleman had fallen ‘from a considerable height’ during a bike ride with friends.
Edale Mountain Rescue said that once it became clear the cyclist ‘had not survived’ the fall, the priority became bringing him back up to the footpath.
They posted: “Thank you to everyone who gave everything to help the situation, police and fire service, and especially the gamekeepers. Our thoughts are with the gentlemans family and friends at this very sad time.”
A statement from Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team said: “Given the severity of this incident, both Yorkshire Air Ambulance and the S92 from Humber Coastguard were called out, as well as a request for Edale Mountain Rescue Team to assist. Unfortunately, after a careful examination by the air ambulance doctor, the casualty had suffered severe injuries and was pronounced deceased.
“Due to the location of the incident, we were tasked to retrieve the gentleman. Both MR Teams worked together to carefully plan the technical extraction which included setting up a rope system to lower & raise team members and a stretcher over steep ground.
“As the stretcher party reached the top, local gamekeepers kindly assisted to carry the gentleman to the Team’s vehicle. From there, it was the duty of the MR to transport the gentleman off the hill via the Team’s vehicle for the hand over to the relevant authorities.
“This callout was a multi-operational callout with 2 helicopters in attendance, 2 Mountain Rescue Teams, the Ambulance, Fire Service, and the Police.
“Callouts like this don’t happen often but when they do, team members remain calm, professional, and respectful. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the gentleman’s family and friends at this very sad time.”
A comment on Facebook said: “Thank you so much for retrieving my fathers body. A tragic day for us.
“We are so thankful for your selfless bravery, professionalism and respect shown all the way through the retrieval. My family and I send thanks and commend all those involved.”
Sir David Jason set for TV return in Only Fools and Horses documentary Christmas special
In a surprise bit of festive news, the only and only Sir David Jason is returning for an Only Fools and Horses Christmas special this December. Lovely jubbly!
The best-loved and most-watched British comedy of all time will be back on our screens in documentary form this festive season, with Del Boy himself David Jason revisiting the iconic comedy character after 20 years he last played him on screen.
While the legendary sitcom was broadcast on BBC back in the day, the highly-anticipated Only Fools doc will be airing on Channel 5 right before Christmas as a special one-off programme.
Looking back on the show’s incredible run on UK screens over seven series and the several ‘Christmas Cracker’ specials, specifically, the latest Only Fools and Horses documentary will see Jason and a number of other guests appearing to chat about the legendary show.
While it’s still unclear how many of the original cast will be appearing, Jason’s on-screen wife Tessa Peake-Jones (Raquel) is confirmed to be appearing along with other special guests including newscaster Krishnan Guru-Murthy and Bendiorm‘s Sherrie Hewson.
Sadly, a full theatrical reunion just isn’t on the cards following the deaths of Roger Lloyd Pack (Trigger), Kenneth MacDonald (Mike the Landlord) and Buster Merryfield (Uncle Albert) in the 30 years since the show ended its run.
Only Fools writer John Sullivan also sadly passed away aged 64 in 2011 and fellow co-star Nicholas Lyndhurst, a.k.a. Rodney Trotter, told Metro: “We can’t. John is no longer with us. John was the driving force of the show and we have also lost quite a few cast members now.
“I don’t think I could do it without them and I certainly couldn’t do it without John. At the risk of depressing everyone, I think the last two times I’ve seen David has been at funerals.”
Simply entitled, ‘The Story Of Only Fools And Horses At Christmas’, the 90-minute special is yet to have its broadcast date fully confirmed but you best keep your eyes peeled on the TV guide — we’ll let you know as soon we do.
Jason, 81, has only just recovered from hip surgery earlier this year, so it’ll be nice to see his familiar grin back on our screens.
Right, we’re off to binge a whole series on UK Gold.
Habas restaurant in Manchester announces shock closure – with huge closing-down discount
Habas, the Middle Eastern restaurant launched by the team behind El Gato Negro, has announced its shock closure.
The subterranean restaurant will be going out with a bang though, promising one last knees-up with a big discount.
Habas will be doing 25% off its entire food and drink menu this New Year’s Eve so that fans of the eatery can raise a glass to the Manchester restaurant.
They’re also hoping that Mancs will raise a glass to new beginnings, teasing a brand new concept.
Habas is located at Brown Street in Manchester city centre and has been serving up its Middle Eastern menu since 2021.
It comes from Mills Hill Developments Limited, the company also responsible for El Gato Negro and Canto, fronted by celebrated chef Simon Shaw.
Habas has stressed that its closure ‘is not forever’ as it announces details of its New Year’s Eve closing down party.
You can ring in the new year with a selection of mezze dishes, sharing platters and small plates, feasting on chicken tagine and traditional tzatziki, all 25% off on Sunday 31 December.
Drinks, too, like the cranberry elderflower martini, blackberry ginger smash and clementine daquiri will be with 25% off.
Simon Shaw, Chef Parton at Mills Hill Developments Limited, said: “As of January 2024, we have made the decision to close the doors of Habas Bar & Restaurant, however we are thrilled to announce that our Brown Street venue has an exciting new concept on the way.
“Throughout December, Habas, will continue serving up the city’s best middle-eastern cuisine, so make sure you pop in and see us. AND on New Year’s Eve, Habas, will be hosting an unforgettable celebration with 25% off food and drinks. We want to rejoice with all of our customers, with one final hurrah!
“We would like to thank all of our guests and reassure Habas fans that this is not the end of Habas Bar & Restaurant forever, simply a farewell from Brown Street for now.
“We look forward to welcoming you to our new exciting concept in Q1 of 2024.”