Matty Healy might be one of the biggest frontmen on the planet right now but he’s also one of the most controversial figures in the music industry too, as those watching Glastonbury found out after Rina Sawayama called him out live on stage in front of thousands.
The 32-year-old singer, actress and model was performing on the Woodsies on Saturday, 24 June, when she decided to dedicate her song ‘STFU!’ to The 1975 singer, songwriter and guitarist following a number of offensive remarks he made or was involved with on a recent US podcast episode.
Healy, 34, appeared on The Adam Friedland Show back in February, during which he made a series of comments that many labelled inappropriate and racist, such as watching a porn genre which degrades Black women as well as joining in speculating about rapper Ice Spice’s ethnicity and discussing her body.
The Wilmslow-bred musician also went on to laugh when the hosts mocked the artist with attempts at Chinese, Hawaiian and Japanese accents, to which Sawayama — who was born in Japan before moving to London as a child — responded by screaming “I’ve had enough!” to the Glastonbury crowd.
Rina Sawayama shames label-mate Matty Healy for his racist remarks live at Glastonbury.
As you can see in the clip below, the recent John Wick 4 star said, “I wrote this because I was sick and tired of these micro-aggressions. This goes out to a white man that watches ‘ghetto gaggers’ and mocks Asian people on a podcast.”
She then went on to say, “He also owns my masters” — with Sawayama and The 1975 both belonging to Dirty Hit Records, of which Healy was creative director and is one of multiple shareholders — before adding defiantly, “I’ve had enough!” before being met with rapturous cheers and applause for the crowd.
It is worth noting that Healy’s role as a director has since ended in the time since the podcast controversy, with online records showing that his contract in that capacity was terminated after five years back in April, though it’s unclear if the decision is linked.
Elsewhere in the podcast, Healy also suggested that Harry Styles of “queerbaiting” fans and also made jokes about women’s synchronising while on their periods, which also upset many people, fans or otherwise. Regarding his Ice Spice comments, he apologised on stage this past April.
“This is Matty Healy PR damage control considering what he said about Ice Spice” that collab was planned months ago and Matty already apologized to Ice Spice. They’re probably on good terms now otherwise she wouldn't have agreed to the collab getting released now. Let’s move on. pic.twitter.com/rjvZrgwcpm
Nevertheless, The 1975’s 2018 single ‘Sincerity is Scary’ seems fitting here, as many still feel that there wasn’t much genuine remorse in his apology, especially given his comments in an interview with The New Yorker a month later where he said, “it doesn’t actually matter.”
He went on multiple-award winning musician insisted, “Nobody is sitting there at night slumped at their computer, and their boyfriend comes over and goes, ‘What’s wrong, darling?’ and they go, ‘It’s just this thing with Matty Healy.’ That doesn’t happen.”
He even went so far as to say, “If it does [offend people], you’re either deluded or you are, sorry, a liar. You’re either lying that you are hurt, or you’re a bit mental for being hurt. It’s just people going, ‘Oh, there’s a bad thing over there, let me get as close to it as possible so you can see how good I am.”
Neither Healy nor Dirty Hit are yet to issue a response following Rina Sawayama’s comments at Glastonbury but it’s certainly sparked quite the discussion online surrounding a public figure who is well-accustomed to being amongst the headlines for his antics, being on or off-stage.
'I'm not the biggest 1975 fan but he's absolutely mugged him off here'. 😂https://t.co/jx9S7zGXdy
Featured Image — Rina Sawayama/The 1975 (via Instagram)
Audio
Royel Otis add second Manchester date due to massive demand
Danny Jones
Australian indie pop group Royel Otis have announced a second Manchester date ahead of their upcoming UK tour due to a huge demand for tickets.
The Aussie duo, who have blown up in the past couple of years with tracks like ‘Oysters In My Pocket’ and two viral covers of Sophie Ellis-Bextor and The Cranberries, are due to play a massive Manchester gig later this year.
Set to make their O2 Victoria Warehouse debut this winter, the ‘Sofa King’ singers saw their ticket allocation sell out quicker than you can say ‘Going Kokomo’.
As a result, there was only one thing for it:
Due to demand, @RoyelOtis have just added an extra date at Manchester @O2VicWarehouse in November! 🔥
For anyone still unaware of the rising alt-pop outfit led by frontman Otis Pavlovic and Royel Maddell (hence the name), they began breaking onto the scene around 2022 after having released a couple of tracks the year prior.
Although they quickly gained support back in their home country, their presence over here and indeed around the world was helped no end after their tripleJ take on ‘Murder on the Dancefloor’ and stripped-back version of ‘Linger’ for SiriusXM hit the internet.
They even managed to land a feature on EA FC 24 – formerly known as FIFA – and we all know how getting on that soundtrack can transform careers.
Since then, their following has grown exponentially, and the rising double act has booked major festival slots such over the past 12 months or so, playing the likes of Kendal Calling, Glastonbury, as well as Reading and Leeds, just to name a few.
Regardless, fervent fans haven’t seen their clamour disappear, and now the band have announced an extra date at Victoria Warehouse.
Now set to play the venue on Friday AND Saturday, 28-29 November 2025, they will be supported by an opening act with a cool UK connection: Still Blank.
The transatlantic outfit is made up of Jordy is from Hawaii, and Ben, from right here in Manchester; the two come together to make what Stereogum has described as “sullen folk-grunge” – yet more reason for locals to be interested in the gig.
Once again, while the first gig has sold out, you can grab your tickets for Royel Otis’ second Manchester show HERE.
There’s a VR K-pop experience coming to a cinema in Manchester
Thomas Melia
A VR experience dedicated to a much-loved K-pop group, ENHYPEN, is making its way to a cinema screen in Manchester this Autumn.
After a stellar performance at AO Arena in Manchester earlier this week, a VR experience dedicated to K-pop group ENHYPEN is coming to a cinema screen in the city centre.
This upcoming experience with the fitting name ‘IMMERSION’, will mark the K-pop group’s first ever VR concert and is premiering across the globe, including right here in Manchester.
Featuring all-new performances, this pre-recorded concert experience allows you the chance to immerse yourself in never-before-seen content that has been specifically produced for VR.
This cinematic concert concept allows fans the chance to watch their favourite live bands and acts up close and personal without having to break the bank.
Made in partnership with Amaze, one of the world’s leading immersive concert creators, previous performers include fellow K-pop acts Aespa, Tomorrow X Together and KAI, as well as rap megastar Megan Thee Stallion.
Get ready to sing your heart out or ‘Scream’ as loud as you can when ENHYPEN take to the screen as they’re expected to perform all their usual classics, including ‘XO (Only If You Say Yes)’ and ‘Bad Desire (With or Without You)’.
If you’re worried about missing your chance to get ‘Loose’, don’t worry, because these seven K-pop stars will be on cinema screens for nine consecutive dates throughout September.
K-pop boy band ENHYPEN took to the AO Arena in Manchester earlier this week (Credit: BELIFT LAB)
This exclusive ENHYPEN VR concert experience is coming to none other than international cinema chain Odeon, which will be screening this event at one of its prime Manc locations: The Trafford Centre.
ENHYPEN are bringing ‘IMMERSION’, their first-ever VR concert experience, to Odeon Trafford Centre in Manchester from 19 September until 28 September.
You’ll catch us there ‘No Doubt’ – more information HERE.
In the meantime, why not read our review of ENHYPEN’s recent Manchester show, which served as yet more proof that we need to get properly into K-pop.