University of Manchester Board backs Nancy Rothwell despite students’ vote of no confidence
The University of Manchester Board of Governors has confirmed it will stick by President Nancy Rothwell and fellow leaders despite a student referendum resulting in a vote of 'no confidence' last week.
The University of Manchester Board of Governors has confirmed it will stick by President Nancy Rothwell and fellow leaders despite a student referendum resulting in a vote of ‘no confidence’ last week.
UoM Students’ Union facilitated an all-student referendum in March – with results showing that 89% had no confidence in senior staff.
But the University Board responded with a statement that said Governors backed the leadership team “unanimously” and had “full confidence in them to lead the University forward.”
Governors pointed out that the turnout of the vote was “13% of our student population”.
Student protest group UoM Rent Strike, however, claimed the number of votes was “double what it was this point last year”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Rothwell has come in for extreme criticism from students since the start of the pandemic.
Her decade-long tenure as President has been brought into disrepute following a series of incidents throughout the autumn and winter – including conflicts over rent and the installation of ‘prison’ fences around Fallowfield campus (which were subsequently torn down by students).
ADVERTISEMENT
Rothwell was also forced to make a public apology in November after an incident in which a student was pushed up against a wall by security staff for “looking like a drug dealer”.
Students tore down fencing at Fallowfield campus in November 2020 / Image: @BenMcGowan_
The Student Union organised the recent referendum following a petition from disgruntled students who claimed that Rothwell’s position was “completely untenable”.
But UoM Governors maintained that Rothwell was the right person for the role, having “led the University with vision, compassion and distinction for the past 10 years.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The Board said it “recognised that students have not had the experience they would have hoped for and have had to deal with unprecedented, difficult and rapidly changing circumstances.”
It added that whilst senior leaders “haven’t got everything right…they have led from the front by apologising and have always taken action to ensure lessons are learnt and improvements are made.”
Some students accused the university of “ignoring the referendum”.
In the aftermath of the result, the ‘Nancy Out’ campaign – a group dedicated to the removal of Rothwell and her senior management team – claimed that the leaders had “failed the students for the last time, now it is clear that students will fight for democracy and accountability.”
The University said it would be focusing on “delivering the best learning experience possible and supporting the wellbeing of our students, staff and wider local community.”
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”