Kris Srikkanth posted: “Shocking to hear the demise of Shane Warne ! He was one of the greatest wrist spinners to ever grace the game! My heartfelt condolences to his family , friends and fans from across the world! May his soul rest in peace!”
Supporters club England’s Barmy Army tweeted: “Simply can’t believe we are writing this. RIP Shane Warne, one of the game’s best characters and finest bowlers. Forever etched in Ashes history.”
Cricketing magazine The Cricketer wrote: “Shane Warne has passed away at the age of 52. Utterly shocking news. A cricketing genius.”
Featured image: Instagram, Shane Warne
Police search for man who threw punch at Chris Eubank Jr vs Liam Smith boxing match
Police are searching for man who threw his own punch at the AO Arena after Chris Eubank Jr vs Liam Smith boxing match.
The man in question is believed to have vaulted over a barrier inside the arena just as the match itself came to an end.
He then punched a man sat behind him in the face, before making off on foot.
He left two women and a man he was with behind.
Police are now appealing to witnesses of the assault on Saturday 21 January 2023 to come forward with any information.
CCTV images of the suspect have been released by GMP.
They said in a statement: “Police are appealing for witnesses to an assault at the AO Arena on Saturday 21 January 2023 after the Chris Eubank Jr vs Liam Smith boxing match.
“It is reported that then man (pictured) vaulted over a barrier inside the arena just as the boxing match finished, and struck a man sat behind him in the face.
“The offender then made off on foot, leaving two women and a man he was with, behind.
“Officers believe that the suspect is possibly from the Merseyside area. If you know the man or have any information relating to the crime, please contact GMP on 101, quoting reference number INC/0075491/23.
“Alternatively, information can be passed anonymously to the independent charity – Crimestoppers – on 0800 555 111.”
Featured image: GMP
Ronaldo ‘will return to Europe’, says Al-Nassr FC head coach
Al-Nassr FC head coach Rudi Garcia has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo “will return to Europe” after his contract is up.
The former French footballer turned coach, who previously managed in his home country and Italy before heading to the Middle East, revealed that despite suggestions that this move signalled the end of his time in the sun, Ronaldo won’t end his career at Al-Nassr.
Ronaldo’s lucrative deal runs until 2025, reportedly earning around £175 million a year — the equivalent of approximately £3.6m a week (madness) — but it looks like the Portuguese star isn’t content with just cashing in on his big-money move.
Speaking in a press conference last week, Garcia said that he fully expects to see CR7 playing football in Europe after his time in Saudi Arabia comes to an end.
The 58-year-old conceded that despite his star man being “a positive addition [who] helps to disperse defenders… He is one of the best players in the world. He will not finish his career at Al-Nassr, he will return to Europe.” Garcia did not give any suggestion as to where might end up next, however.
It was recently reported that the 37-year-old striker had a so-called ‘Newcastle clause‘ in his new contract given the obvious Saudi connection and could move to the club on loan next season, but those claims have since been refuted by multiple outlets.
While he certainly delivered on his technical debut for the club in an exhibition against PSG, grabbing two goals to Messi’s one in a thrilling 5-4 defeat, he failed to score in his first official competitive match against Al Ettifaq on 22 January.
However, Al-Nassr still managed a 1-0 win and currently sit top of the Saudi Pro League by one point and with a game in hand above title rivals, Al-Hilal. Say what you will about the sporting icon but it’s only a matter of time before he opens his account.