Manchester United issue update on Jadon Sancho following ‘discipline issue’
Sancho will once again be spending some time away from the club.
Manchester United have finally addressed yet another in-house drama with one of their wingers, issuing a statement updating fans on the ongoing situation with Jadon Sancho.
The club seem to be regularly releasing statements regarding the conduct of their players at the moment, with the Mason Greenwood scandal not long behind them and, more recently, Antony being removed from the squad amidst his ongoing assault allegations.
Now, though, it seems as though the frustrated forward Jadon Sancho will also be joining his teammate in spending some time away from the first-team and the club’s normal training sessions after they confirmed that he will once again be put on a “personal programme” away from Carrington.
This comes after Sancho took issue with manager Erik ten Hag dropping him against Arsenal and claiming that he wasn’t selected based on his performance in training.
Writing a short update on Thursday, 14 September, the club said: “Jadon Sancho will remain on a personal training programme away from the first-team group, pending resolution of a squad discipline issue.” This means ten Hag’s squad will be even more depleted ahead of the Premier League resuming.
With the 23-year-old publicly dismissing the Dutchman’s claims and even going so far as to suggest he has been used as a “scapegoat for a long time”, the United boss was evidently disappointed by the decision to discuss this on social media.
It isn’t the first time he has made sure to punish players for breaking codes of conduct and overall behaviour, having similarly decided to drop Cristiano Ronaldo and back the board’s decision to sack him late last year.
It also isn’t the first time Sancho has been told to train separately either, though the first time around seemed to be more fitness and confidence-related, as far as we know:
- Harry Maguire’s mum issues statement saying torrent of abuse has gone ‘beyond football’
- Bury FC facing fine and points deduction for allegedly fielding a player from another club
- Manchester City Women become the first WSL club to secure stadium naming rights
Following the backlash to the backlash, essentially, a number of reports surrounding Sancho’s behaviour and overall demeanour around the club then began to appear in the media, with several citing him as a “complicated character” who often flits from “loud and extroverted” to “very reserved”.
With multiple players now out of the squad either through injury or similar disciplinary issues, United will be looking to experiment in several different positions, with many tipping fellow young winger Facundo Pellistri to now fight his way into the team.
Both the club and the fans will simply be hoping for some normality to resume after what seems like an eternity of scandals and club statements for one reason or another.
The Red Devils get back underway at Old Trafford on Saturday, 16 September against Brighton.
For all the latest news, events and goings on in Greater Manchester, subscribe to The Manc newsletter HERE.
Featured Image — Jadon Sancho/Man United (via Instagram)