North West events specialists Scene My Event rebrand as Exceed Events – seeing high booking demands through to 2023
The team behind North West events specialists Scene My Event have revealed a major rebrand and reposition as Exceed Events and Concepts - with bookings being made right up until 2023.
The team behind North West events specialists ‘Scene My Event’ have embarked on a major rebrand following the pandemic – repositioning the organisation as ‘Exceed Events and Concepts’.
Using the time in lockdown to evolve their offering for a changing marketplace, Bolton-based founders Chris Warbrick and Martyn Stuttard announced they’d be taking the business into a “new era” from August 12 – responding to the crisis of the events industry through innovation.
Despite the long-term restrictions imposed on mass gatherings, Chris and Martyn believe consumer confidence is now returning – with a huge number of events already being booked for the next three years.
Development has also been completed on their new website – exceedevents.co.uk – which is being used to showcase the organisation’s market-leading events technology to offer new virtual events and socially-distanced live experiences.
The domain will also house a ‘client area’ – where customers can easily manage their event, booking details and music requirements at any time.
ADVERTISEMENT
Exceed
Director Chris said: “We’ve used the time in lockdown to look at who we are as a business, our identity, our image and what our clients want, and felt that Exceed Events is a more fitting representation of who we are.
“With where we see the company growing over the next five years we wanted the brand to reflect this journey and long term position.”
ADVERTISEMENT
“The meaning of Exceed is all about going above and beyond, being better than your previous self and your competition and of course, exceeding expectations! That has always been at the core of how we operate and really fitted with who we are and can span over all of our sectors, from weddings and corporate events to event technology and bars and clubs.”
According to Chris, adapting to the “new normal” has been key to developing the new Exceed brand.
He added: “During lockdown we had the time to look at a rebrand, and we’ve been doing virtual events with live streaming and moved all of our face to face consultations to zoom consultations.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It’s certainly made us think differently and reimagine how events will go moving forward. Even after lockdown, the events scene will look different for some time and there will be a blend of physical and virtual events which has made us think differently and innovate in how we do that.
“We’ve invested in more technology to bring that to the client. We believe we can accommodate both sides and we’re working with our partners on things like virtual show rounds, providing as much upfront content to our clients as possible and actual virtual parties.
“At the start of August we were approached to bring our previously indoor interactive Bedlam Bingo, to the outdoor drive in Park N Party held at Event City, Trafford Park. Due to the amazing success we are now in conversations to run this continuously over the coming months.”
Exceed
Chris and Martyn said the gradual easing of restrictions saw future booking enquires pick back up in June with a surge in July and August of private and corporate clients now making reservations through to 2023.
“Our bookings are now strong again,” said Martyn.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Consumer confidence is picking back up with people wanting to get events booked back in for something to look forward to after these challenging times. We therefore believed mid August was a good time to launch our new brand – with the further easing of restrictions from August 15th onwards very much in mind.”
Founded by entrepreneurs Chris Warbrick and Martyn Stuttard in 2017, the company has become known for its industry innovations, premium entertainment offerings and investment in hi-tech events solutions.
That includes their 360 Xperience platform, used to great effect at the PFA Awards in May 2019 with the ensuing videos of football stars using the platform reaching over 5m people on social media.
Partner venues across the North West include Manchester Hall, Mitton Hall, Holmes Mill, Larkspur Lodge, Victoria Warehouse, while clients have included AO.com, Panini, Fifa, In the Style, BLVD and Manchester Airport.
Exceed has also been the events company of choice for a host of high profile celebrities, brands and influencers.
ADVERTISEMENT
This has includeed the engagement party of Love Island star Olivia Buckland and Bradley Dack at Cloud 23 bar in Manchester, and the launch of Jacqueline Jossa’s fashion launch at In the Style in Salford.
The company has also helped to organise the wedding of TOWIE star Maria Fowler at Nunsmere Hall in Cheshire and the engagement party of Geordie Shores Holly Hagan and Jacob Blyth at Victoria Warehouse.
After winning Theo Paphitis’ Small Business Sunday award in July 2018, the events company were then brought in by the former Dragons Den star to showcase their 360 Xperience at the 10th anniversary of his SBS Awards in Birmingham in early 2020.
Find out more about how Exceed are taking events into the new normal by visiting their website.
Business
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
Cult favourite food spot Desert Island Dumplings is set to close their Manchester shop
Danny Jones
A much-loved Manc spot is bidding a reluctant farewell, and to be honest, we’re not ready to say goodbye to Desert Island Dumplings either, as it’s been announced that they’ll soon be closing.
What started as a lockdown idea has gone on to become a cult favourite of the city centre and among vegans in the area, with countless foodies heading to their quiet little third-floor corner.
Delivering the gutting news at the start of this week on social media, founder Lucy Linford had to assure fans that this sadly isn’t an April Fool’s before going on to share a lengthy and stirring statement.
Taking up ten whole slides and numerous paragraphs in what is one of the most emotional Instagram posts the local hospitality industry has seen so far this year, she confirmed that Desert Island Dumplings will be closing in the coming months.
She began by stating, “This news might come as a shock to you”, adding that “we’ve rolled with the punches these past couple years of years and the shop is busier than ever”, but insisted that closing this particular chapter “is the right decision”.
The little dumpling shop that could hasn’t just been one of the most popular vendors inside Afflecks, an iconic Manchester attraction all of its own – it’s also gone through so many steps to get to where it is now, and it’s a local independent story that you can’t help but admire.
From the days of serving as a little pop-up at cricket grounds and various other street food stalls to establishing a dark kitchen in Liverpool, enjoying stints at GRUB, Sadler’s Cat, Ancoats General, Stretford Food Hall and more before settling down in the Palace’s emporium, it’s been a joy to watch.
Before explaining the reasons behind shutting up shop, Lucy wrote: “Thank you to every single person who has supported to Desert Island Dumplings over the past five years.”
We were left particularly moved and inspired by the recollections of the period shortly after she went “full-time-dumplings”, spending her hours learning about business, “trying to concentrate through webinars, scribbling words like ‘dividends’ and ‘GDPR?’ into notebooks.”
This part of the real hard work that you hardly ever get to see but that so many of those who start out with a dream to make it in the sector have to struggle through, and we couldn’t have more admiration for her graft if we tried – and look what it led to.
It’s also worth reminding the waves this place as made in terms of plant-based dining not just in Manchester but the North West and beyond, standing proudly as ‘the UK’s first vegan fusion dumpling joint’ and not sacrificing on flavour one single bit.
The brand even went on to pitch to Aldi, and you’ll be glad to hear that this isn’t curtains completely: Lucy and co. will still be serving right up until the last day, and as she prepares to take on a Masters up in Edinburgh, the dumps, noods, hash browns plus all the rest of will be a big hit in Scotland, no doubt.
As for the final chapter here in Manchester, the team will be bringing back some beloved specials and fan favourites, not to mention “putting on a few fun farewell events” ahead of their final day on 15 June.
Put simply, Lucy says she’s “loved every second of it”, and so have we. She signed off by adding, “Nothing good lasts forever but memories do.” We urge you to read the post in full, it’s really touching.
Make sure to give them a visit whilst you still can, and thanks again to Desert Island Dumplings for filling our bellies so many times. We hope to stumble across you in Scotland one day.