The case for a new “investment-led” non-charging Clean Air Zone (CAZ) plan in Greater Manchester has now been published.
After the previous plan was referred back to the government for “urgent review” back in January, and after Prime Minister Boris Johnson conceded that it was “completely unworkable” for the region, Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) has now set out evidence supporting an investment-led, and crucially for residents and motorists, a non-charging Clean Air Plan – which it says is “the best solution” to address the roadside nitrogen dioxide (NO2) problem.
The publishing of the new plan also comes after Environment Secretary George Eustice suggested that the region consider implementing a smaller charging Clean Air Zone that just covers Manchester city centre.
However, all of Greater Manchester’s leaders say they are clear that clean air compliance should be achieved through a non-charging approach.
Unlike the previous charging Clean Air Zone scheme set out by the government, GMCA says this new plan takes into account the rising cost of living crisis by avoiding charging motorists across the region, and will also “actively consider” the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic – particularly on Manchester city centre.
🗣️ “Government wants us to charge Greater Manchester businesses at a time they can least afford it.”
The case for a new investment-led, non-charging Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan has been published by @greatermcr before being submitted to Government. https://t.co/8Qk7fsq4YN
— Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham (@MayorofGM) June 29, 2022
The new case also addresses some concerns that were previously raised over the price of new and used commercial vehicles rising, which makes upgrading less affordable for people.
GMCA insists that tackling the health impact of poor air quality still remains a top priority for Greater Manchester.
“The Case for a New Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan outlines how Greater Manchester would meet air quality legal limits in a way which is fair to local people and businesses and does not create the risk of financial hardship,” explains Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham.
“Our city is still recovering from the pandemic and we don’t want the government to level-down our city-centre with their proposals to charge businesses from across Greater Manchester who have to travel through or work within the proposed charging area [as] even a small charging Clean Air Zone would result in a considerable financial burden for the many businesses moving products and people through Manchester city centre, providing a significant setback in economic recovery from the impact of the pandemic, and during a cost of living crisis.
“The government wants us to charge Greater Manchester businesses at a time when they can least afford it.”
The case for a new “investment-led” non-charging Clean Air Zone (CAZ) plan in Greater Manchester has now been published / Credit: David Dixon (via Geograph)
Once the plan has been considered by the Greater Manchester Air Quality Administration Committee (GM AQAC) – which is made up of elected representatives of Greater Manchester’s 10 local authorities – it will be submitted to the government to meet a deadline on 1 July.
Tasked by the government to bring NO2 air pollution within legal limits as soon as possible and by 2026 at the latest, the GM AQAC will be asked to agree that the next stage of the new plan will be developed through intensive engagement with business and the community.
“Based on the evidence, including the impact that a charging Clean Air Zone would have on their ability to make a living, and the risk to jobs and livelihoods, we have had the opportunity to fundamentally change the nature of the Clean Air scheme which we now feel is fit for purpose and fair to the people of our city region,” said Cllr Andrew Western, GMCA’s portfolio lead for Clean Air.
He added: “We will now move into a period of more intensive engagement with business and the community to bring together the detailed policy of the new Clean Air Plan.”
You can find out more and read the GM CAZ plan in full here.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech to open at Quayside MediaCity
Emily Sergeant
Time to get practicing your swing, as a huge new premium indoor golf venue is opening up over in Salford this autumn.
Founded by a local PGA Professional and spanning a whopping 4,500 sq ft of state-of-the-art space, TeeClub is set to be a revolutionary new venture where cutting-edge technology meets luxurious comfort at the unique waterside destination.
TeeClub will provide a first-of-its-kind premium environment with seven high-tech Trackman simulators, taking players to more than 450 world-famous courses including St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, and more.
The new venue is also launching a partnership with sports equipment brand TaylorMade, so golf fans can either bring their own clubs to use on the day, or make use of TaylorMade equipment available if needed.
Resident PGA professionals will offer personalised lessons with AI-driven video analysis when the venue opens later this year, while a dedicated club fitter will make sure every swing is matched with the right equipment.
There’ll also be a club shop stocking TaylorMade gear alongside apparel from Manchester-based brand, Concrete Links Co.
The new venue is designed for both individuals and businesses alike, and will offer exclusive memberships and corporate packages, as well as semi-private bays and interactive gaming modes, making it an ideal place for team-building events or relaxed evenings with friends.
A huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech is opening at Quayside MediaCity / Credit: Supplied
There’ll also be bar on site serving coffee, pizzas, snacks, wine, and craft beers.
“Our vision for TeeClub is to create an indoor golf experience that combines the authenticity of the sport with modern luxury,” commented Nick Holmes, who is a PGA Professional and the Director of Golf at TeeClub, ahead of the venue opening this autumn.
“Whether you’re a beginner looking to learn, a corporate group hosting an event, or an experienced golfer, TeeClub will provide the tools, technology, and atmosphere.”
TeeClub is set to open at Quayside this autumn, but an official launch date is yet to be confirmed, so keep your eyes peeled.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.