New reports have suggested that the Greater Manchester public are to be consulted on the latest Clean Air Zone (CAZ) proposals – but this won’t be done any time soon.
The Clean Air Zone was to initially hand motorists daily charges of up to £60 for some of the most polluting vehicles on Greater Manchester‘s roads, but many will remember that the deadline for the scheme had been put on hold until while the plan was referred back to the government for “urgent review” in January, following huge backlash and after Prime Minister Boris Johnson conceded that it was “completely unworkable” for the region.
The government agreed to delay the deadline for the scheme until 2026, but local leaders wanted to scrap all charges and help to fund vehicle upgrades instead.
Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) then set out evidence supporting an investment-led, and, crucially for residents and motorists, a non-charging Clean Air Plan back in June 2022 – which it said was “the best solution” to address the roadside nitrogen dioxide (NO2) problem.
But ministers are reportedly yet to respond to this latest plan.
The case for a new “investment-led” non-charging Clean Air Zone (CAZ) plan in Greater Manchester has now been published / Credit: David Dixon (via Geograph)
The closest thing to a public response from the government on the plan was when environment secretary George Eustice said he believed there was “little robust evidence” that it will work effectively.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mr Eustace suggested that taxis, vans, buses, and lorries should still be charged in the city centre.
It’s now being reported that, ahead GMCA’s plan for a non-charging CAZ is to be formally-submitted to the government in its final form following a meeting on 16 August, ‘targeted engagement’ is currently taking place on the proposal and an online survey for some motorists is set to launch in a couple of weeks – but this will not go out to everyone.
ITV Granada reports that transport bosses have confirmed the wider public will not be able to have their say on the new proposals until early 2023.
🗣️ “Government wants us to charge Greater Manchester businesses at a time they can least afford it.”
The case for a new investment-led, non-charging Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan has been published by @greatermcr before being submitted to Government. https://t.co/8Qk7fsq4YN
— Mayor of Greater Manchester (@MayorofGM) June 29, 2022
This has already been met with criticism from industry leaders and campaign groups.
Prominently addressing the fact the public will not be consulted on plans until 2023, spokesperson for RethinkGM – a campaign group set up in opposition to the Greater Manchester Clear Air Zone – said: “It is extremely disappointing that leadership of Greater Manchester continue to ignore the public and residents of the region once again, by leaving public consultation on any CAZ scheme until early 2023.
“With a national cost of living crisis currently under way and residents now choosing between eating, heating and survival, GMCA still fail in their duty to residents and maintain their ill-advised attempt to impose further unnecessary limitations on livelihoods.
“It is quite clear that this scheme now needs scrapping in full and consideration given to the poor, low paid, business and those suffering above all else.”
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Tribute paid to man ‘loved by so many’ stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Daisy Jackson
The brother of a man stabbed to death in Levenshulme has paid a heartbreaking tribute to him.
Zherko Rasul Osman was just 24 years old when he was fatally wounded in an incident on Chapel Street on Saturday evening.
Despite the best efforts of emergency services personnel, Zherko sadly died at the scene.
Now, his brother has paid tribute to him, saying he was ‘someone who was loved by so many’.
The touching tribute reads: “My brother was a kind, friendly and loving person who never looked for trouble or wanted to harm anyone.
“He was loved and respected by his friends, his mates and the neighbours in the community where he lived. He had a good heart and would always be remembered for the warmth and happiness he brought to those around him.
“His life was taken so suddenly and for no reason, leaving a pain and emptiness that words cannot describe. We are heartbroken that someone who was loved by so many is no longer here. He deserved to live his life and make memories with the people he loved.
“He will never be forgotten. His smile, his kindness and the memories we shared with him will stay in our hearts forever. We love you, and we will miss you every single day.”
Zherko Rasul Osman suffered serious stab wounds on Chapel Street in Levenshulme at around 7.06pm on Saturday 15 August.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning. A 27-year-old man who had also been arrested on suspicion of murder remains on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers continue to make progress as the investigation continues. It is believed this was an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public.
Police are urging anyone who may have information to please report it through the dedicated online portal HERE.
Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell or dashcam footage can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.