Tommy Fury has clinched the win over Jake Paul in a long-awaited showdown that took place in Saudi Arabia last night.
It’s been a very long time coming, with the fan frenzy and media attention having been growing by the day – but the 23-year-old Manchester-born professional boxer – who is the younger brother of two-time world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury – has only gone and done it.
Fury fought hard to defeat the controversial YouTuber and media personality Jake Paul in a split-decision after eight rounds.
The judges scored it 75-74 Paul, 76-73 Fury, and 76-73 Fury.
The highly-anticipated fight between the former Love Island contestant and the internet star – which had been dubbed as ‘The Truth’ – was originally scheduled for 2021, but was postponed after Fury pulled out due to broken ribs and a bacterial infection, which he said at the time was “heartbreaking”, and insisted he wanted the fight to happen “more than anything”.
After the initial call-off, the fight between the pair was rescheduled for August 2022, but Fury pulled out once again – this time due to visa issues and being denied entry to the US.
Two postponements later, the Fury v Paul hunger was stronger than ever and the fight rescheduled for Sunday 26 February in Saudi Arabia – where Fury came out on top after a tense and action-packed meeting between the pair.
“For the past two-and-half years, this is all that’s consumed my life,” Fury said after the match.
“Tonight I made my own legacy – I am Tommy Fury. I had a dream I would win, people doubted me, but everyone can take note now. I had the world on me, pressure on my shoulders and I came through. This is a world title fight to me, this is my destiny, my fate.”
Dedicating his win to his family, Fury added: “I want to dedicate this win to my new baby girl Bambi at home and my Mrs. I love you and I can’t wait to see you.
“This fight was for you. Bambi, this belt is for you.”
Fury gave praise to his opponent saying he “took some good shots” and that he is “a far better boxer than I thought he was” – adding that “if he wants a rematch, bring it on.”
Jake Paul – who only made his professional boxing debut in 2020 – cited illness as the reason for his performance and loss.
“I felt flat,” he explained after the fight.
“I got sick really bad twice in this camp, injured my arm. This wasn’t my best performance, but that’s no excuse.
“Don’t judge me by my wins, I’ll come back stronger.”
Antony‘s case is still ongoing, with a total of three women coming out to accuse him of domestic abuse — chiefly, his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, who was first to raise concerns surrounding his alleged behaviour — but his cooperation through the investigation has led them to revise their position.
Issuing an update on Friday morning confirming that the forward with be brought back into the fold until the situation is resolved.
A club statement reads as follows: “Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so.
“As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.
“As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”
Erik ten Hag‘s side plays their second game against Crystal Palace in less than a week after beating them 3-0 in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday and while it is not thought Antony will be brought straight back into the team, he will be available for selection moving forward.
United currently sit ninth in the Premier League with three wins and three losses to their name.
Man jailed after ‘disturbing and terrifying’ burglary at young woman’s Altrincham home
A man has been handed jail time after a “disturbing and terrifying” burglary took place at a young woman’s home in Altrincham.
The court heard this week how Jason Edwards, from Sale in Trafford, turned up to an address in the Lloyd Gardens area of Altrincham where two women in their 20s were staying for the weekend visiting their friend at around 2am on Sunday 12 August 2022.
After knocking on the front door while brandishing a large meat cleaver, the two women opened the door and Edwards proceeded to push past them to force his way into the property.
The 36-year-old then began to search every room, while still carrying the horrific weapon and shouting at the women.
He then left the property shortly after, and the two victims immediately called the police.
The victims’ friend – who lived at the address, and was also a woman in her 20s – was still on a night out when she was alerted to Edwards being at her front door by a doorbell camera notification on her phone.
After pleading guilty to aggravated burglary and possession of a bladed article earlier this week (Tuesday 26 September), Edwards was handed a seven and a half year custodial sentence, as well as a further five years on licence.
Detective Sergeant Jacob Corrigan, of GMPs Trafford CID, described the burglary as a “disturbing and terrifying incident” for the victims.
“The victims had returned home from enjoying a day out with friends, before being put through this ordeal, which understandably made them genuinely fear for their lives,” DS Corrigan said Edwards was sentenced this week.
“I am pleased that Edwards has faced justice for his actions today and will be spending some time in prison, where he will be able to reflect upon his poor choices.”
DS Corrigan also reiterated that GMP “will not tolerate this type of violent crime”.