Brits could be facing a ban on the use of disposable barbecues this summer in efforts to cut the risk of wildfires.
Although the grills may be a staple of British summertime culture, with over a million estimated to be bought in the UK each year, they have certainly been the subject of much discussion in recent years due to a number of environmental and sustainability concerns.
Disposable barbecues not only typically contain single-use plastic, but also charcoal which is often not sustainably-sourced, and cannot be can’t be recycled or composted.
Because of these concerns, supermarket retailers Waitrose and Aldi last month made the decision to stop selling them in order to protect forests and wildlife, and Brighton and Hove City Council was one of the local authorities which voted overwhelmingly to ban them from the area’s beaches and parks as part of its strategy to tackle climate change.
Also, in a bid to prevent devastating wildfires from occurring in some of the country’s best-loved nature reserves and green spaces, the Co-op last year banned the selling of disposable barbecues in any of its stores within a one-mile radius of a national park.
And now, it seems like further action could soon be taken on a national scale.
It comes after environment minister Victoria Prentis told a House of Commons debate this week that the government was commissioning research to examine the role that disposable barbecues play in wildfires, as the latest data from the Home Office is said to suggest that around 4% of accidental fires can be linked to barbecue use.
This does not, however, differentiate between the use of a barbecue in a home or at a place like a public park or beach.
She crucially said it’s “when they are left unattended or used recklessly that the risk occurs”.
Ms Prentis continued: “It is clear to me that we do not have enough data on the role that disposable barbecues play in wildfire incidents, however, anecdotal evidence – not least in this debate – suggests that they have been responsible for a number of serious incidents.”
Labour MP Holly Lynch – who led the Commons debate – was also sure to highlight the 75 wildfires that West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has already attended this year, and added that “a significant number are caused by careless and reckless use of disposable barbecues on our moorland.”
She said a ban on disposable barbecues “would have an instant and transformative effect in protecting our moorland” and would help to “safeguard” them and our communities in the years ahead.
Mike Amesbury, a local government spokesperson for the Labour party, too called on the Department for Environment during the debate to “step up and become more proactive in tackling this growing problem”, adding: “That should include consideration of whether disposable barbecues should be banned from sale entirely.
“The government certainly needs to encourage the small minority using barbecues in appropriate locations to be more responsible.
“And think of the potential consequences for people, the environment and livestock.”
Featured Image – Instant BBQ
Rashford explains heartbreaking reason behind his celebration after wonder free-kick against Wales
On Tuesday night, Marcus Rashford lit up what had previously been an underwhelming final group game against Wales with what we can only describe as an absolute stunner of a free-kick.
Swapping out his usual knuckleball technique for a whipped but equally fast-paced finish into the top right corner, the 25-year-old wheeled away to celebrate with the travelling fans but not long after, he dropped to his news and pointed to the sky.
While not an entirely uncommon celebration in the world of football, it did seem like a somewhat muted reaction from the Man United forward, especially after such an incredible opening goal.
Speaking to media after the game, it turns out Rashford‘s celebration was dedicated to a close friend who passed away a couple of days prior.
As the Wythenshawe-born star went on to explain, choosing to point to the sky for the celebration was his way of paying tribute to a friend who sadly died following a long battle with cancer.
The joint-leading goalscorer this World Cup went on to say, “I’m pleased I managed to score for him, he’s always been a big supporter of mine. He’s just a great person to have come into my life”. Heartbreaking.
As confirmed by several outlets after the press conference, Rashford’s late friend was Garfield Hayward, a 35-year-old also from Manchester, who is said to have passed away last week.
Nicknamed ‘Garf’, his nephew wrote on social media: “My heart is hurting so much knowing I won’t see you again in this life… it won’t be the same without you being here… You didn’t have a bad bone in your body you would give anything and everything you could with even a single bit of hesitation.” So touching.
It was no wonder Rashford himself was so quick to go and celebrate with his loved ones after the fact.
Rashford made it three goals in as many games at Qatar 2022 following his wonderful free-kick and equally well-worked second goal, with fellow Manc Phil Foden scoring the second goal only seconds after the opener.
England now face Senegal in the Round of 16 and the way these two lads looked on the night, we expect Manchester to be putting on a show come the weekend.
TV doctor Ranj Singh calls out racist joke made at British Curry Awards ceremony
This week, the British Curry Awards held a glitzy black-tie ceremony to celebrate the achievements of the UK’s curry industry.
The prestigious ceremony, also informally known as the ‘Curry Oscars’, takes place every year – seeing a number of awards handed out to the best Asian restaurants across the country.
However, this year’s event was sullied when a white guest presenter made a racist joke on stage, asking: “Why has India never won the World Cup? Because every time they get a corner, they build a shop on it.”
Taking to Twitter after the event last night, TV Doctor and personality Ranj Singh blasted the presenter who made the joke, asking his 174,000 followers “I’m sorry but how is this OK?”
The TV Doctor then went on to release a statement, in which he first said he was “honoured and privileged to be invited as a guest” to the ceremony before continuing to outline why he was ” not the only person that felt uncomfortable tonight.”
Singh asked how the awards ceremony could truly be representing the Asian community fairly when “the host is white, the judging panel is entirely white, the performers on stage are over 90% white”, a racist joke is made on stage, and organisers were “auctioning off a piece by Winston Churchill”, whose relationship with Indian (and Bengali people specifically) is known to have been problematic.
The tweet, shared by Singh on the social media platform last night, has been liked over 1,000 times and retweeted more than 300 at the time of writing.
He then signed off for the evening, writing: “The number of people trying to justify an inappropriate and racist joke on here is saddening. But then again this is Twitter.”
Others have since taken to the platform to agree with Singh, with used David B tweeting: “I couldn’t summarise this better myself.
“The organisers did not consider that #RepresentationMatters – it felt uncomfortable to see so many white people to present, host and judge the awards when there are so many others that could have EASILY represented the community.”
Every year the awards ceremony welcomes a number of high-profile figures, including prominent personalities from the worlds of politics, sport, showbiz and entertainment alongside celebrity chefs and curry restaurant owners and their staff from across the country.
In previous years, attendees have included cricketer Azeem Rafiq, Love Island contestant Priya Gopaldas, and The Apprentice winner Sian Gabbidon.
Following the awards ceremony, organisers have said that an investigation is now under way.