Pasta, bread, and crisps are among the budget food stapes to have seen the biggest price surges within the past year.
With the rising cost of living crisis continuing to make its impact felt across the UK, and with inflation having now hit the record 40-year high of 9%, campaigners are warning that the rise in cost for the cheapest supermarket staples could leave the country’s poorest families disproportionately hit.
New experimental data released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) today showed prices for some low-cost groceries increased at a much faster rate than general inflation.
They were up by an average of 6-7% from April 2021 to April 2022.
With prices rising for many UK households, we’ve released experimental analysis showing how the lowest priced grocery items have changed in price between Apr 2021 & Apr 2022 https://t.co/MCnUQxYDQ8
Our research is based on supermarket website data for 30 basic grocery items🛒 pic.twitter.com/6sRfok9SBf
— Office for National Statistics (ONS) (@ONS) May 30, 2022
The ONS said that it decided to compile the data by tracking price changes for the lowest-cost everyday groceries sold by supermarkets online after the anti-poverty campaigner Jack Monroe highlighted the increase in price of essential items and drew attention to the fact that value ranges had even disappeared from some shelves completely.
ADVERTISEMENT
Monroe argued that this meant the true cost of living hasn’t been reflected in inflation figures.
The ONS found that the prices of five items from a basket of 30 basics compiled by government statisticians had shot up by 15% or more – with the price of pasta jumping the most and recording an increase of 50% from a year earlier.
The price of the cheapest 500g packet of pasta was 53p last month, which is compared to 36p a year ago.
The ONS figures also highlighted above-average-inflation price rises for other staple food items including crisps (17%), bread (16%), minced beef (16%), and rice (15%).
ADVERTISEMENT
While there has been increases in some staples, the ONS did however say it discovered “considerable variation” among the 30 items it looked at, with potatoes having gone down in price by 14% on last year, as well as a 7% drop in the price of cheese, pizza (4%), and chips and sausages (3%).
Jack Monroe – who worked with the ONS on the data compilation – has taken to Twitter today to give her reaction on the figures, saying “it is far more expensive to be poor”.
Her tweet read: “The ONS have released new data today tracking the price rises of the lowest-cost grocery items over the last year, and – backing up my own research and evidence from January – the hikes in the value brands and basics have been much higher than average inflation stats.
“As I have said for 10 years now, and as many others have pointed out before and alongside me, it’s FAR more expensive to be poor, and now the literal experts in data gathering and statistics are helpfully, methodically, forensically backing that up.
“This feels like huge progress.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Monroe said that she is “very grateful to have been a part of this process”, and added that she hopes going forward, “MPs who set the uprating figures for benefits, and also discussions around a real living wage, will take this disparity into account”.
Channel 4 takes all episodes of Married at First Sight UK off air after rape allegations
Emily Sergeant
Channel 4 has stripped all episodes of Married at First Sight UK from air following rape allegations from previous participants.
The broadcaster said ‘very serious allegations of wrongdoing’ have been made against a small number of past participants in the popular reality TV series, which sees single people – matched by experts – ‘marry’ strangers who they meet for the first time on their wedding day, leading to the show being fully taken off air.
It comes as the BBC and a Panorama special reported allegations from two women who alleged they were raped during filming of the show, and a third described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.
Each of the past participants all alleged that the show did not do enough to protect them.
Channel 4’s recently appointed CEO, Priya Dogra, confirmed that the broadcaster had instructed an external review of contributor welfare on Married at First Sight UK (MAFS UK) last month.
The broadcaster says it expects the review to report in the coming months, and will share a summary of findings and recommendations at the ‘appropriate time’.
Channel 4 takes all episodes of Married at First Sight UK off air after rape allegations / Credit: James West (via Flickr)
A formal statement issued by Channel 4 addressing the matter reads: “In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied.
“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
Explaining the decision to remove all episodes of the show from air and streaming services, the statement continued: “While the review is ongoing and until we receive any conclusions and recommendations, all previous seasons of MAFS UK have been removed from Channel 4 streaming and linear services at this time, alongside Channel 4’s MAFS UK social channels.”
Channel 4 says this move considers the ongoing duty of care to all contributors, the seriousness of the allegations levelled against a small number of past contributors, and is made ‘out of an abundance of caution to avoid fuelling speculation or jigsaw identification’.
Featured Image – Channel 4
News
Vision to host the Olympics in the North of England takes step forward
Daisy Jackson
The government has taken a serious step forward in its vision to bring an Olympic and Paralympic Games bid to the north of England.
A strategic assessment has officially been commissioned to see if the first northern Olympics could be viable in the 2040s.
The assessment will test the impact that hosting could have on the North’s regeneration and growth.
Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy has said that our corner of the country produces some of the UK’s finest sporting talent, but that the region itself has been overlooked for hosting a global event of this size.
She said that the government is now ‘starting the firing gun on a long overdue vote of confidence in the North’.
An initial strategic assessment has been commissioned from UK Sport to see whether the UK could host an Olympic and Paralympic Games up north.
It will assess key factors such as potential cost, socioeconomic benefit and any bid’s chance of success.
Lisa Nandy said: “London 2012 showed what the Olympics can do for our country. It inspired a generation through sport, attracted huge investment and showed the best of Britain to the world.
“But while the North of England has driven so much sporting excellence, no matter the talent we produce, the sporting moments we create, and the world-class events we attract – for too long we have been told the Olympics is simply too big and too important to be hosted in the North.
“Not any more. It’s time the Olympics came North and we showed what we can offer to the world. I couldn’t be more pleased to announce that we’re starting the firing gun on a long overdue vote of confidence in the North.”
Manchester is already home to world-class cycling facility, the National Cycling Centre. Credit: Unsplash, Dylan Nolte
Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rachel Reeves, said: “Britain’s sporting prowess is recognised and respected around the world. It’s something we are determined to capitalise on to breathe life into our communities and build a stronger and more secure economy.
“That’s why we’re throwing our full support behind bringing the Games back home which will boost our Northern Growth Corridor. It’s also why we’re backing stadium regeneration plans, like at Elland Road, to deliver new homes, business opportunities and public spaces in Leeds and beyond.”
Chair of The Great North, North East Mayor Kim McGuinness said: “From our great cities and towns to our coastlines and countryside, the North has the venues, the passion and the sporting pride to deliver a world-class Olympic and Paralympic Games that showcases the very best of Great Britain to the world.
“A Great North Olympics would be a global showcase, leaving a legacy of prosperity, unity and renewal. It’s an opportunity not to be missed, delivering transformational investment in transport, regeneration and public spaces across the North of England.
“This could become the most people-powered Games ever hosted: inspiring millions of people into sport, volunteering and community action.”
The news comes ahead of a major sporting summer for the UK, which includes events like the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup, the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, and the Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes Grands Départs.
The Government is already backing bids to host the World Athletics and Para-Athletics Championships in 2029, as well as the 2035 FIFA Women’s World Cup, as part of its commitment to driving a decade of change in women’s sport.