Manchester United star Antony has been officially dropped from the Brazil squad for this international break after fresh allegations of domestic assault have been levelled at the player, and both Brazilian and Greater Manchester Police are now said to be investigating the claims.
Antony had already been accused of domestic abuse and acts physical of assault by his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin earlier this year, but the 23-year-old insisted that there was no truth to these claims, assuring that his “innocence will be proven” following an investigation back in his home country.
However, following fresh allegations and evidence reportedly coming to light, Brazil’s national team have decided to drop the Man United winger from the squad until the matter is resolved.
Issuing a statement on Monday 4 September, they wrote: “As a result of the facts that have come to light, and which need to be investigated, and in order to safeguard the supposed victim, the player, and the Brazilian national team the CBF have withdrawn [him] from the squad.”
🚨🎙️ | CBF statement:
"In light of the facts which came to light on Monday (04/09) concerning #mufc player Antony, which must be investigated, and in order to safeguard the alleged victim, the player, the Brazilian national team and the CBF, the organization informs that the… pic.twitter.com/EOcKhTS4ce
Brazil’s official statement confirming why Antony has been dropped.
Responding the further allegations published in Brazilian outlet UOL on Monday, Ms Cavallin provided access to videos, images and messages that corroborate her claims – which are said to include throwing a glass which result in “cutting her fingers to the bone”.
ADVERTISEMENT
The 22-year-old also went on to expand on a previous allegation made on TV in more detail. “I don’t remember exactly who the fight was about, but it was someone I had been with years ago”, said Cavallin. “He punched me in the chest and my silicone turned over”, adding that she required surgery and that Antony responded by stating, “I didn’t mean to hurt you, it was accidental, it wasn’t a punch; I just pushed you and held you against the wall”.
Following this latest report, Antony has once again come out to deny the claims in a statement on social media, writing: “Out of respect for my fans, friends and family, I feel obligated to speak publicly about the false allegations I have been a victim of. From the beginning I have handled this issue seriously with respect, providing due clarifications to authorities.
ADVERTISEMENT
“The police inquest is still ongoing, therefore, I cannot make the content public. However, I can say with confidence that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and more to be produced show that I am innocent of the accusations made”.
Antony’s response to the fresh assault allegations.
He goes on to insist that his relationship with the DJ and influencer “was tumultuous, with verbal offence from both sides”, but that he “never practiced any physical aggression”.
Prior to this most recent report in Brazilian media, when asked if Antony’s allegations were of concern to him at the time, Man United manager Erik ten Hag simply replied, “No”, adding that “the outcome in Brazil was clear” and that their focus is “on football and on performing.”
ADVERTISEMENT
To make matters worse, with this fresh scandal coming just a couple weeks after United finally parted ways with Mason Greenwood following his own allegations of assault and attempted rape, many are piling pressure on the club to make a clear stance against domestic abuse.
Whether things will progress to the point that Antony is not just dropped, but suspended and/or removed from the squad entirely as the case carries on, remains to be seen.
Man City hoping to snap up promising Liverpool youngster with multiple clubs monitoring
Danny Jones
Manchester City are hoping to secure the signature of a rising Liverpool star who is already looking like one to watch, but they’ll have to wrestle with a number of teams if they want to get their man.
For starters, his parent club don’t want to let him go, but they have until this summer to lock him into a new deal, with suitors ready and waiting in the wings.
The promising youth player in question is Josh Abe, who is just 15 years old but has already made a bit of sporting history on Merseyside and even in Europe.
Having already scored a hatful of goals at various levels, several Premier League outfits are now monitoring his contract situation, with Abe still yet to commit his future to Melwood and possible Liverpool first-team opportunities – and it’s not hard to see why so many want him…
The Warrington-born winger has registered eight goals and a trio of assists for the under-18s this season, including a standout performance against Derby, as well as a hat-trick against Leeds United earlier this month.
Cementing himself in the record books as their youngest ever scorer at that level, he also happened to play a key role in their 3-2 win over Oliver Reiss’ side back in October, grabbing a goal and assisting as they beat City in the division for the first time in half a dozen years.
But he’s impressed beyond just LFC ranks, too.
In addition to becoming the youngest Liverpool product to ever feature in the UEFA Youth League, he has also been called up to England’s U16s.
With early nods of recognition across the board, it’s little surprise that he’s now trained with Arne Slot’s senior squad on more than one occasion.
However, scousers are still waiting to see his full professional debut, as it looks like his employers have a fight on their hands to keep the fast-progressing young forward.
As per The Athletic‘s James Pearce, Man City look to be leading their pursuit for Josh Abe not only as a major rival club and the next nearest destination, but because of the increased wages they could theoretically offer him as an aspiring pro and potential future prospect.
On the other hand, if Liverpool do fail to tie him down, his agency, PLG – headed up by Tyler Alexander-Arnold, the brother of Trent – will be free to negotiate from June 1 onwards if he doesn’t extend his stay – it could be a three-horse race to snap him up.
Apart from City, both Chelsea and Arsenal are said to be interested in recruiting him, and with it being reported that teenaged attacker’s father is a lifelong Gunner, they could pose an added threat to the Blues sealing a transfer.
Then again, we’ve seen Chelsea continue to swallow up talent all over the country for their academy time and time again, plus they’ve been pretty lax when it comes to the salary budget for years now. All that being said, the CFG (City Football Group) could face quite a scrap should Abe decide to leave Liverpool.
Naturally, he’s already been the subject of a ‘future wonderkid’ highlights reel on YouTube; you can see some of his best moments so far down below.
Have you seen clips of him before, and/or are you buying into the hype?
Co-op Live confirmed as the host venue for the 2026 Netball Super League Grand Final
Danny Jones
Manchester’s Co-op Live has booked its latest big event as the 2026 Netball Super League (NSL) Grand Final is set to be held at the massive indoor venue.
As one of the biggest indoor entertainment venues not just in the country but all of Europe, there’ll be room for plenty of UK fans to pile into the stands.
This being not only the NSL‘s debut at the arena but the first final to ever be held in the building, it’s set to be a historic night for lots of reasons.
Announcing the huge coup – not just for the increasingly popular female-led competition, but for sports fans around Greater Manchester in general – this week, the reaction to the big date on the women’s sporting calendar has been just as big.
As mentioned in an official press release, “The selection of Co-op Live for the 2026 Soft & Gentle Grand Final builds on the arena’s rapid emergence as a global destination for sport and entertainment, following a programme of major global broadcasts across music and sport.”
The 23,500-capacity and completely indoor stadium has quickly established itself as a leading destination for live music and more since it finally opened back in May 2024.
Last year’s Super League Grand Final was held down in the capital at The O2 Arena as the fast-rising franchise London Pulse beat Loughborough Lightning 53–45 to lift the title for the first time in history.
Now, the NSL is looking to capitalise on those record-breaking crowds by bringing the action closer to another foundational home for so many competitive disciplines: Greater Manchester.
With England Netball themselves being headquarted at the England Netball is headquartered at the National Squash Centre and Regional Arena on the Etihad Campus (next door to the arena), choosing Co-op Live only felt natural this time.
Elsewhere, another big tournament is being held up in the North, too, with the Netball Super Cup set be hosted at the Utilita Arena over in Yorkshire – much to our mates at The Sheff‘s delight.
Treat a netball fan in your life ❤️
🤝 Help them start #NSL2026 in style and get them tickets to see the Netball Super Cup live.
As for Co-op Live itself, general manager Guy Dunstan commented: “We’re incredibly proud to welcome the Soft & Gentle Grand Final to Co-op Live and to make history by hosting the first sporting final at the arena.
“Co-op Live was designed to bring people together for unforgettable shared experiences, and this reflects everything [we] stand for: world-class events, inclusivity, community impact and inspiring the next generation. We can’t wait to see Manchester play host to such a landmark moment for the sport.”
As always, official Co-op members get early access through the venue’s dedicated presale window, which will open at 10am on Monday, 2 March.
Meanwhile, general admission will then be available from the same time the following Thursday (5 Mar); you can get ready to grab your tickets for the Netball Super League Grand Final in Manchester at Co-op Live right HERE.