An elderly woman from Bury has died from hypothermia after telling her GP she couldn’t afford to turn the heating on.
An inquest at Rochdale Coroner’s Court this week has heard that 87-year-old Barbara Bolton was admitted to Fairfield Hospital with hypothermia and a chest infection on 11 December last year after telling her GP that she could not afford to turn her heating on at her home on Dawson Street in Bury, the Manchester Evening News reports.
Ms Bolton – who was a mother and a widow, and had previously worked as a pharmacy assistant – tragically died on 5 January after her family made the decision to place her on end of life care.
Explaining Ms Bolton’s situation, Police Coroner’s Officer, Jane Scullion, told the hearing: “Barbara was admitted to hospital on December 11, 2022, with hypothermia, and a chest infection.
“She was referred to hospital by her GP who said this was related to her not being able to afford her heating and during that time she continued to deteriorate.
ADVERTISEMENT
“After a discussion she was placed on end of life care and passed away.”
Dawson Street in Bury, where 87-year-old Barbara Bolton lived / Credit: Google Maps
Requesting statements from the doctor and asking for a medical cause of death to be provided, Assistant Coroner for Manchester North, Julie Mitchell, adjourned the inquest and said Ms Bolton’s death was “particularly accelerated” by hypothermia.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Her death was particularly accelerated by hypothermia and there is a possibility of self neglect due to the lack of heating so her death has been referred to the coroner,” Ms Mitchell said.
Hypothermia is what happens when your body temperature drops below 35°C, and is usually caused by staying out in the cold for too long or not wearing enough clothes in cold weather, but according to the NHS, the condition can also be caused by living in a cold house – with older people living alone particularly at risk.
Following the inquest, Ms Bolton’s told the MEN: “We were in contact with her every day and saw her and spoke to her.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We have to deal with the sad loss now and it’s very hard for me and my family.”
A full inquest to explore the circumstances leading to Ms Bolton’s death will take place at Rochdale Coroner’s Court later this year.
Featured Image – Google Maps
Bury
You can ride a wizard-themed steam train through Greater Manchester countryside next week
Emily Sergeant
The hugely popular wizard-themed steam train will be travelling through Greater Manchester once again next week.
February half term is right around the corner, and that means East Lancashire Railway (ELR) is back with a whole host of immersive events that give curious Mancs the chance to step back in time by hopping on one of the historic Pullman-style steam train carriages through the picturesque Greater Manchester countryside.
Thomas the Tank Engine, dinosaur, Peppa Pig, and seasonal themed train rides are just a few of the events that have been entertaining families in the region over the last few years.
By far one of the most popular experiences on the lineup, however, has to be the chance to go on a ‘wizarding adventure’, where little Mancs can come together for a magical day of sharing spells and getting stuck into lots of magic-themed fun.
You can ride a wizard-themed steam train through Greater Manchester next week / Credit: ELR
Aspiring witches and wizards of all ages are invited to enrol in the spellbinding school of sorcery this February half term, as they take a ‘wacky and wonderful’ whistle stop tour through the ‘Irwell Valley of wonders’.
Little Mancs will get to learn powerful incantations and perfect their wand-waving skills, all while using their imagination and learning how to soar through the skies on a broomstick.
They’ll also get to discover the proper way to greet mystical creatures, and take care of a ‘real’ dragon egg too.
The Wizarding Adventure is an “enchanting experience for all the family” / Credit: ELR
Aside from wizard-themed tasks, there’ll also be plenty of photo opportunities along the way.
Aside from wizard-themed tasks, there’ll also be plenty of photo opportunities along the way, and food and drink will be available to tuck into from the café on Platform 3/4 at Bury Bolton Street Station, and from the Rawtenstall Buffet too, making it a truly ‘enchanting’ experience for the whole family.
The Wizarding Adventure is back this half term, with several special journeys lined-up next month on Thursday 19 February, and tickets still available to get your hands on from £18 each for children and £20.50 for adults.
Serial robber jailed after targeting and assaulting lone women across Greater Manchester
Emily Sergeant
A man has been handed time behind bars after targeting lone women in a series of violent robberies across Greater Manchester.
Jason Cunliffe, from the Crumpsall area of Manchester, appeared at Manchester Crown Court yesterday (Thursday 5 February 2026) where he was sentenced to 14 years in prison after pleading guilty to five counts of robbery, two counts of fraud, and one count each of attempted robbery, burglary, and theft.
The incidents Cunliffe pleaded guilty to were said to have taken place between 17 August and 3 September 2025.
10 incidents were reported to Greater Manchester Police (GMP) in which a man approached women in public spaces and forcibly stole their handbags and other belongings, and in several cases, victims were dragged to the ground and wrestled before the man – later identified as Cunliffe – fled on foot.
All incidents occurred in public areas of Greater Manchester, and police say Cunliffe ‘deliberately targeted’ women who were alone or in a pair.
On 4 September last year, police on proactive patrols in known hotspot areas spotted a man, confirmed to be Cunliffe, acting ‘suspiciously’ in Crumpsall.
Upon seeing the police vehicle, Cunliffe attempted to hide by ducking down next to a car, but officers saw this and subsequently approached, before he then fled prompting a foot chase which eventually ended in him being caught and arrested on the spot.
After a house search, officers found 12 handbags and other items including an iPad, iPhone, Hugo Boss jumper and Samsung tablet that Cunliffe had stolen – all of which were able to be returned to the victims.
Speaking following Cunliffe’s sentencing this week, Detective Inspector Natasha Feerick, of GMP’s City of Manchester Neighbourhood Crime Team, commented: “I would like to thank the victims for reporting these incidents to us and allowing us to fully investigate, as thanks to these reports, neighbourhood officers were able to quickly identify and arrest Cunliffe.
“His offending will have a lasting effect on victims and I hope this result will bring some reassurance to them going forward.
“Cunliffe preyed upon women and on many occasions physically assaulted them to take items from them. He stole handbags and other items totalling thousands of pounds.”